Rental Car Drop Off to Port?

hunter6009

Mouseketeer
We are flying into Orlando and will be renting a car and driving over the evening before our cruise to Port Canaveral. After we drop our car off, how do we get to the port? Does Disney run a shuttle from rental car locations to the port? Other ways?
Also, what rental car company is the closest? Any recommendations on rental companies?

Lastly, after we get done with the cruise, we are doing the same thing (renting a car and heading back to Orlando). Will the same apply for AFTER the cruise (ie getting to the car rental place, etc).

Thanks! :earsboy:

If you stay at the Radisson, they offer a free shuttle to the Port. If not, hold onto your car overnight, drop off your family and bags, and return your car to the rental agency. They will shuttle you back to the port.
On your return, grab your bags and family, and go stand by the curb. They have queues set up for various shuttles.

We used Budget the other week. We got to MCO on friday and picked up the car. We drove to the courtyard in Cocoa Beach to stay the night. We dropped off the car on saturday around 945am at the Budget location right down from the port. They had 2 shuttles running and we jumped on one after turning in the car. It was a quick and easy ride to the port.

After our cruise Budget had an area set up where we were dropped off the previous week. They even had those black ropes so we could form a line to wait for the shuttle.

The whole process was quick and easy. We plan to do this our next cruise too.

Avis and Budget are the two closet rental agencies to the port, both with shuttles.

The location code for Avis is P3F and the location code for Budget is CC5 (these are for the Cocoa Beach locations). When you get a quote online you would add these location codes as the pick up or drop off location depending on which way you are renting. The location code for Orlando airport is MCO.

Also check out http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html for some great discount codes on car rentals....I usually plug in different codes to see what yields the best discount at the current time.

MJ

I think most of the rental car companies have a shuttle to the port. We're booked with Hertz and they do have a shuttle.

Budget has a counter downstairs from baggage claim. They are one of the onsite car rental companies.

I highly suggest signing up for their FastBreak. It's free and you can do it online. This way you don't go to the counter inside MCO. You go straight outside and up the elevator and take a right. There's a little booth for fastbreak customers. It was very quick and easy at MCO with this.

hunter6009 said:
We are flying into Orlando and will be renting a car and driving over the evening before our cruise to Port Canaveral. After we drop our car off, how do we get to the port? Does Disney run a shuttle from rental car locations to the port? Other ways?
Also, what rental car company is the closest? Any recommendations on rental companies?

Lastly, after we get done with the cruise, we are doing the same thing (renting a car and heading back to Orlando). Will the same apply for AFTER the cruise (ie getting to the car rental place, etc).

Thanks! :earsboy:

Prior to the cruise we stayed at the Radisson, which is about 3 doors down from the Budget office. I rented at the airport, then returned the car to Budget on Saturday morning (they open at 8), then walked back to the Radisson and caught the Radisson shuttle to the port with the family.

Budget is the closest, and they do run a shuttle to the port (and back). Others do as well (I saw Avis's bus). Budget runs three shuttle vans on Saturday and we didn't have a long wait to get picked up at the port. Vans seemed to come in about every ten minutes. Budget will also pick you up or drop you off at the Radisson if you don't feel like walking, but the walk is really only about 5 minutes.

If you do keep your car till the morning of your cruise, definately drop off your family at the port FIRST and then return the rental car, hope on their shuttle and have JUST ONE PERSON go back to the port. It is much easier to do that than have the whole family AND LUGGAGE try to get on the Budget shuttle. That way your family can start checking in (or standing in line) and you can catch up with them afterward. Always worked much better for us doing it this way!!

We used Avis when they were based at the Radisson and that was wonderful. After they moved we were a little worried but used them again and had great service. The shuttle got us to the port nice and early. The office gets very busy on cruise mornings with the combination of people dropping off and people picking up.

What you do is first..in your rental car..take your entire party and drop them off at the port. Keep your photo id with you, let them take everything else with them, luggage, cruise documents, etc.

Your party can head on in, go through security and go upstairs to the check in line. You can return the car to the rental place, hop the rental shuttle and get dropped right back at the port. Very easy for one person..not so easy for a group with full luggage.

Do not, I repeat, do not..take your entire group with you to the rental place. It causes nightmares in trying to return for other guests who have already dropped their party at the port.

One other note about the shuttles, they typically use 8-passenger vans, which fill up pretty quickly.

The thing we really liked about the radission shuttle was that they had a small bus with a trailer attached to it for the luggage, that allowed them to take a lot more people per trip.

Yes, I plan on using National as well and would like to know where the terminal is in Cocoa Beach and do they offer a shuttle to the port? Is it within walking distance?

I just love the service I received at MCO when we rented from National and went to WDW last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter