RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

I hit jackpot over in 1000 loop. Ran across a herd of squirrels in the back of the loop but it was near dark so pics didn't turn out well.
I had to look it up as i was sure herd wasnt the correct term for a group of squirrels!
"A group of squirrels are called a scurry or dray. They are very territorial and will fight to the death to defend their area."
Be careful out there Tiggerdad! :squirrel::P

Yes after dinner we went for a walk and her adoring fans, mostly Maddie took to petting her. we have a work day tomorrow so hopefully can sit outside.

So today was a day at Hollywood Studios and Kris and Bert were kind enough to let us take along as they drove over. It was very crowded at rope drop. We hit Smugglers Run with Bert and Kris, and did ok. We then headed to Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway. It had a posted time of 90 mins when we got in line. It took us 120 minutes to get thru the line and ride it. We got off of the ride with 2 minutes to make our lunch reservation at 50's Prime Time. Lunch was good, DW had the sampler, I had the chicken and we shared an order of onion rings. The afternoon went better, we rode, RR, TOT, SDD, TSM, and we scored a boarding group for ROtR. We then camp back to the campsite, said a quick Hello to folks, getting some dinner, and off to bed. Tomorrow is a MK day. I did snap a picture or two, or 650...hope to be back earlier tomorrow to get a look at them and maybe get one or two posted. I also have some from the Monday night Dismeet to post.

Okay, I'm not sure about what I just left but I am wiping the tears from my eyes ..... :confused3

ANYWAY,

I want to give a readout on dinner at Ragland Road and it was OUTSTANDING again this time. We had the best table location we've ever had there and the food and show were both wonderful.

20201013_193841.jpg

The menu has some items that eliminate themselves from my consideration which really only leaves a few items to choose from:

20201013_183103.jpg

- No fish/chips or burgers (too simple for table service when it's just me and the missus)
- No vegetarian option
- No salad
- No chicken (had that at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' two nights ago)
- Don't pick the same thing DW is getting

But I've never had a bad meal at Ragland Road (although I've had a bad table location) so when we checked in ("inside, outside, or sit at the bar?") I asked for a table close to the stage inside. And that's what we got - it's worth the wait.

I collect drink coasters from the WDW restaurants:

20201013_183800.jpg

I use them at home next to my computer to help me feel like I'm away on vacation.

We got a table on the corner of the main stage which was wonderful. The young men and ladies danced there and one at a time on the small center stage in intervals and it was very entertaining.

20201013_183630.jpg

20201013_183516.jpg

The musical/band interval was a pair who between the two of them could play about 4 instruments (not at the same time) and sing the harmonies. They did about a 30-minute set.

20201013_184112.jpg

DW got the Shepard's Pie:

20201013_190606.jpg

And I got the Steak:

20201013_190638.jpg

We both cleaned our plates.

Leaving we crossed the nearby bridge over the (Disney) springs headed to the Lime Parking deck and the view was very pretty.

20201013_193750.jpg

The air was clear and not humid, mid 70s, dark, and Disney Springs was all lit up with outside music playing.

Over on the shopping side before the meal, went in World of Disney (the front entrance was walk-in tonight versus the weekend when it was line-up-in-the-back: guess it was the difference in crowd size) but didn't buy anything. I HATE the new WoD. I can't find anything and they just seem to carry plush, t-shirts, seasonal merch, and household stuff. Where can a guy find a golf shirt with golfing Mickey on the front? Not at WoD (but you used to be able to).

Back at loop 1100, court was being held at Arc's campsite with about 10 of us and a couple dogs at various points. It was fun.
Lunch tomorrow at Beaches and Cream plus riding the Skyliner. Woo hoo! :banana:

Ed

I will be wrapping up here soon.

20201013_145047.jpg

20201013_145129.jpg

You can see on the water tank above the slide the old Fort Wilderness Railroad logo that was put on my sign from last night. It's quite faded now though.

20201013_145210.jpg

The kid's splash zone looked pretty good and wet!

20201013_145310.jpg

And something new to me: the Gem Mining Activity station is between the Pool and Bike Barn near the bridge that goes to the Trading Post.

20201013_145517.jpg

20201013_145529.jpg

And somewhere this afternoon, after a brief detour, I went looking for them and yep they are still there.

20201013_144932.jpg

This was a relaxing day for me especially this afternoon. Gotta get ready to go to dinner now.

Bama Ed
Great tour and commentary... thank you!

After lunch back at the camper, and a short nap of course, we went back to MK. Unfortunately the lines were still too long for most things we wanted to do. Being a Florida resident, we park different from others. I just couldn’t stand out in the blazing sun for over an hour to ride something that will be here when we come back. We are likely going to cancel our Hollywood Studios day and save that ticket to come back sometime during Christmas season.

We had dinner at Whispering Canyon and it was fantastic as always. The mashed potatoes could be in their own food group. Our server, Allie, was awesome. Just the right amount of sarcasm but super nice. We did the traditional skillet which comes with sausage, brisket, pulled pork, ribs, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, coleslaw and cornbread. Food was out in no more than 3 minutes after we ordered and it was hot and fresh. Highly recommend going to WCC during this COVID time!

Walked around the lodge for a few minutes before heading back to the Fort.

As the evening progressed, our site became the gathering point for the night. Most everyone sat a spell or at least stopped by for a few. It was a night filled with good friends and a ton of laughter.

Did anyone happen to leave a ziplock bag with some marshmallows? Found one out on the site near the road :confused3

Okay, I'm not sure about what I just left but I am wiping the tears from my eyes ..... :confused3

ANYWAY,
We're not sure either, but we know for sure that it's not melting snow
Did anyone happen to leave a ziplock bag with some marshmallows? Found one out on the site near the road :confused3

So from this point its probably not wise to ask for a Ziploc bag, attend a marshmallow roast, and if anyone mentions carrots...

tenor-5.gif

Well out at the dock, fog is pretty bad yet. Hoping it clears in the next 20 mins so they can run the boat to MK. Although if it foggy at MK it is not going to make for good pictures. Fingers crossed fog lifts as the dock is almost full.

Of course we started our morning ( :rolleyes1 ) with puzzle time. This puzzle is definitely proving to be a challenge due to the small pieces.

After that we headed over to do gem mining at the bike barn. What a cute activity. They have 3 different choices:
  • Small bag of arrowheads- $8.99
  • Small bag of emeralds- $8.99
  • Large bag of emeralds- $14.99
We did a small bag of arrowheads and a large bag of emeralds. The total for that was $25.54.

Once we checked out they gave us our sifters and we headed over to get to work.

They have 2 heights so you can do it as an adult or as a kid.

It was a super fun activity and a great thing to do on a non-park day.

We ended up with 42 gems and 7 arrowheads. I thought it was a decent value and definitely something different.

Not sure what else we are going to do today. A few of us tossed around going to Geyser Point this evening so make sure to wander by and see what’s up. If we decide on a time I’ll post it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter