RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

Sounds like a fantastic day for just about everyone! Question for experienced camper cooks... I am bringing the mashed potatoes. (Car camping now, rather than tent camping!) Debating reheating options once I arrive to Ft Wilderness tomorrow. Crock pot? Boiling water? Heat in sauce pan? Thoughts?

Sounds like a fantastic day for just about everyone! Question for experienced camper cooks... I am bringing the mashed potatoes. (Car camping now, rather than tent camping!) Debating reheating options once I arrive to Ft Wilderness tomorrow. Crock pot? Boiling water? Heat in sauce pan? Thoughts?
I am not the cook but thinking crock pot is the way to go.

Crock Pot always works. So glad everyone is arriving OK. Enjoying all the pictures, & activities everyone is doing. Wished we could be right in the middle of your fun. Please keep the info & pictures coming. Hope the weather improves. It has turned Hot this past few days here in central Texas. Suppose to have a dry cold front coming thru this week. Hope so, tired of the AC.

Gloria, wish to of seen you and Arnold again. Hope your weather will soon improve.

Made it back to camp around 8pm. Put in an order for the 8 piece yard walker with side of potatoes, beans and strawberry shortcake.

Shower and turning in. Tomorrow is my Fort day.

THE ROCK STAR looks very happy with her adoring fans around

I felt like the Chosen One tonight, Mike, because at the pow-wow after dark I got to sit next to Mallory and give her all the pets she wanted.

This afternoon after lunch while DW was napping I walked around the loop trying to meet some of the new DIS folks who have joined us on this trip. I did meet the DH, DFIL, and DMIL (I think) of SwimSwamSwum and Dave/himandher818 again.

The turkeys (at the time) were invested in the empty site next to Dave and there were SIX of them lazing around like they owned the place (they do). They paid me no mind:

20201011_160724.jpg

20201011_160742.jpg

20201011_160809.jpg

As Dave posted earlier, they got around to his site later this afternoon.

After DW woke up we went for a bike ride as the sun was setting. Leaving 1100 we rode down to the Meadow TP and across the bridge in back to the pool side, around behind the Bike Barn and then behind the Singalong movie screen into 1400. Not many decorations and several empty sites (late Sunday afternoon) in 1400.

We turned right out of 1400 and pedaled up towards the tennis courts because there are often Halloween decorations in 1600 that can be seen from Big Pine Trail (the main road) but none to be had.

As it was getting dark we turned into 1300 across from our home loop 1100 and two sites were nicely done up and were side by side.

20201011_185655.jpg

20201011_185729.jpg

By then it was nearly dark and we got back to 1100. I was a little disappointed that we didn't see more decorations but we will have to check other loops on subsequent nights. It's also still three weeks off from Halloween.

Tomorrow is our one serious work day to prep for the get-together. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there. Our planned meal time is 5pm but we have to confirm the exact location and get the word out tomorrow morning. Come early if you want to visit, kibitz, meet and greet.

Of course, puzzle time will open again tomorrow morning to pick up where we left off. It may sound like watching paint dry but the conversation and fellowship is worth it.

Bama Ed

We ended up having Regal Eagle Smokehouse for lunch at Epcot. Josie has the brisket sandwich and I had the pulled pork. Was pretty good, but the brisket was definitely better.

Always love looking at the train set, makes me want to do one again.

Still some from Flower & Garden:

We came back, grilled some hamburgers and hotdogs then everyone came over and hung out at our site for a while. Great time with great friends!

This morning's update features some incredible puzzlers.

But first, it was a little foggy this morning and cloudy as dawn broke. Here's our 1100/2100 Comfort Station.

20201012_072716.jpg

When I got back to my camper I noticed something I'd missed on the way to the CS. And it made me:

giphy.gif

A container of Miss Jen's (PaHunter DW) chocolate chip banana bread had been dropped off as they left out early for breakfast.

20201012_074330.jpg

Past DISMeets at Gulf State Park have had Jen sharing her bread with us puzzlers early in the morning. It's a TRADITION. I admit I had the first piece.

The early bird puzzlers were showing up within minutes. Dave, Michael, Arc, Josie, Ed, Lisa, Kris, Bert. Let's get this show on the road.

20201012_090027.jpg

Even sweet Mallory was there to lend moral support.

20201012_090104.jpg

At one point I pulled off to fix breakfast for DW. Bacon and scrabbled eggs for her, bacon and pancakes for me.

20201012_090312.jpg

The popo 🚨 stopped by to joke with us - he was in a good mood this morning.

20201012_091320.jpg

PaHunter came back after breakfast and Teamubr's bunch showed up and the puzzle was rapidly being completed.

20201012_093029.jpg

20201012_092958.jpg

It was all downhill from there. Exactly at 9:48:20am this morning (thanks Bert) the last piece was snapped in place.

20201012_094935.jpg

Wow. They went a long way today to get it done. Arc has a puzzle (with a twist) we're going to start tomorrow morning so anybody here for the DISMeet is welcome to come over and puzzle with us.

I've got a grocery list that DW and I are going to pick up this morning and we'll reconvene this afternoon. More about that in a separate post.

This may still be a hot humid day. But the weather man keeps saying dryer air is coming.

Ed

For the get-together this afternoon, we are going to follow past DISMeet traditions:

- bring your own folding chairs
- meet at tiggerdad's (Michael) campsite in #1118
- we will have some sweet tea (and unsweet) and lemonade otherwise byob
- please come even if you don't bring food (we will have plenty). we may even send you back to your camper with a plate of take-home.
- dinner more/less starts at 5pm (if the weather cooperates)
- come early to meet and chat with everyone

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Just an idea- we’ve had the absolute honor of meeting just a few DIS families in person over the years, but there’s so many we still have not been able to meet....
What are the chances you could do a post that would put each family with their DIS board names so we could put names to faces - mostly for those of us who can’t be there? Maybe at the get together tonight everyone could do that, and put them all together in one post?
Just an idea I thought would be awesome! Congratulations on the puzzle- wish we were there having fun with everyone!

I will leave that to each campsite as to whether or not (and how) to do that.

Some folks prefer not to have their face in pictures too directly (me for instance). A distant oblique snap is one thing. I rarely show my face directly.

So to each their own.

Ed

Ps - i might ask abt a group photo this afternoon. No name by name maybe. Its our best chance to get everyone together for one. But i will see what the vibe is.

Thanks so much for updating this thread for those of us who can't be there! You all look like a great bunch to share Fort Wilderness with. I've met a Ed, 2goofycampers, and hope to catch up again with @FtW Mike at the end of the year and they are highlights of my FW trips.

@Bishoparc - can you share the smores martini recipe? It's tempting me to day drink :)

I’m following along from home. Thanks for all the updates and photos! Keep the Mallory photos coming!

I was wondering about the squirrel situation there at the Fort, can someone please post an update on the squirrels?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter