Remy advice.

DCLCrazy64622

DIS Veteran
Hi. We have never been to Remy’s. My husband doesn’t like French food. I would love to go but need to know if there is something there that is meet based that my husband would like. No snails, or anything else French-like. Haha

Hi. We have never been to Remy’s. My husband doesn’t like French food. I would love to go but need to know if there is something there that is meet based that my husband would like. No snails, or anything else French-like. Haha

If you go over to the Disneycruiselineblog.com page, Scott has a recent review with pictures of their dinner. Its a few pages in, dated July 3.

He'll find plenty of dishes to meet his needs. Trust the Chef.

I do agree with others that trusting the chef is definitely the way to go, but I will say they are able to adjust dishes if necessary. My travel partner has a sensitivity to scallops and doesn't care for mushrooms, so they able to adjust dishes to her needs. If there's something your husband finds really objectionable, it could be switched out. However, I have to say it's some of the most delicious food I've ever had.

Remy is great even for picky eaters like myself.I don’t like seafood so I told my server that and he recommend me courses that will be good for me. My wife is vegetarian. Her meal was great also.

Agreed I have done Remy with friends and family who are vegetarian, gluten-free, seafood allergic, don’t eat duck/foie gras/etc. The chefs are very accommodating to all dietary needs and make it a wonderful culinary experience for everyone!

How does your husband know he doesn't like french food? I spent a month in france once and never ate a snail (or was even offered one). Does he just not like what he sees on tv or has he actually had french food before? To me, except for a couple of things, french food is extremely accessible to americans. It's mostly about exquisite ingredients and top-notch preparation rather than "weird stuff" like snails.

How does your husband know he doesn't like french food? I spent a month in france once and never ate a snail (or was even offered one). Does he just not like what he sees on tv or has he actually had french food before? To me, except for a couple of things, french food is extremely accessible to americans. It's mostly about exquisite ingredients and top-notch preparation rather than "weird stuff" like snails.

I consider foie gras and foamed versions of food “weird stuff” too. I want to chew my food, not just swallow it.

I consider foie gras and foamed versions of food “weird stuff” too. I want to chew my food, not just swallow it.
I don't think the foaming thing is particularly "french" though, that's more "fancy." So add fois gras to snails, it's still only a couple of items that can be easily avoided if you don't like them. I was never offered fois gras when I was in France either, and nothing was ever foamed, but I never ate anywhere fancy either. American fancy restaurants do that too.

The actual ingredients they use at Remy seem pretty accessible, normal proteins and fish and veggies, nothing too out there and anything way out there can be subbed. I'm just saying there's nothing to "not like" inherently about French food - regardless of how you feel about "fancy". It's not that different from standard american food at its heart and doesn't use many weird ingredients like say, asian food might - which has a totally different flavor profile and a slew of ingredients americans are not accustomed to.

Wine, butter, cream, onions, garlic, veggies, proteins is not really that shocking to the American palate.

Remy has very fresh ingredients, and they'll work around your dislikes if you let them know. Foaming...more a molecular gastronomy thing. If you like champagne, you may consider doing the champagne flight that is offered. They were generous with their pours when we ate there last year on the Fantasy. Hope you have an enjoyable meal!

I have seen more snails in cruise line MDRs than Remy. Remember, that steak frites is a very French meal, and most picky eaters are willing to eat steak and potatoes, except my picky eater son who won't touch a potato in any form :rotfl2: There are many courses. I don't like pate or foie gras, so I usually let my husband have that coarse, if there is one. I would try snails if they served them and just let DH have them if I didn't like them. I am not a fan of lamb or undercooked eggs and don't really like beef that much. The undercooked egg dish, lamb carpaccio, and wagyu beef were some of the best dishes I had. Be adventurous and open minded. You won't be disappointed.

Someone did link a review with some menus but here are a few details about dining there and the menu.

The one item that makes it different, or more fancy, is that it is a multi-course meal. It is more than just the app, entree and dessert, and has the feel similar to Palo just stepped up another notch. Last time we went it is about as close to Victoria and Alberts at the Grand Floridian as you can get on the ship. There are essentially two choices. One is more classic French with more subtle flavors and BUTTER! The other was created by Scott Hunnel who was the chef at V&A and is more American. Both will flex deepening on fresh ingredients but some of the basic stuff will be consistent.

Remy always has 2 menus to pick from, one from the French chef, and one from the American chef. Your husband might like the American on better. They are both fantastic, and amazingly delicious. The menu can be adjusted to your individual needs. I strongly suggest you got to Remy's it is such a memorable experience, and the team in Remy's is warm and inviting, and focused on you having the most enjoyable meal. My husband had similar comments before he went the first time and now when we cruise, he says how many times can we eat at Remy's this cruise!

It really depends on what you define as "French". Lots of people associate it with heavy sauces and, as has been mentioned, foie gras and escargot. I have had foie gras at Remy but I've also had gnocchi and carpaccio which are both Italian, very few courses with sauces and many other dishes which I wouldn't necessarily describe as what people think of as traditionally French. Not only has part of the menu been designed by Scott Hunel, but the "French" part may be partially a description of the techniques used (i.e., classically trained in French cooking methods) but the inspiration is something completely different.

As to whether there is anything meat based, I'm allergic to all seafood and one of my dinners there was a progression of all kinds of proteins from light to heavy and included chicken, lamb, pork, beef, and I can't recall the fifth, while DH's had a lot of fish as well as heavier proteins in the later courses. With a champagne pairing and concluding with some kind of maple-based dessert which I wouldn't describe as French other than perhaps the pastry technique. I am eagerly awaiting my next cruise on the Fantasy so that I can book brunch and dinner again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter