Removing Wedding Ring?

I got divorced and I came right of immediately after that. :) I wore it for 29 consecutive years so there was a calloused ridge all around it, but, even though I had put on weight a little soap and it slid right off. My daughter asked if she could have it a few months ago, seems strange, but, sure, why not. A lot of memories both good and bad.

Typically (according to my jeweler) as we age, the knuckles of your hand get larger. But the fleshy part of the finger (between the knuckles) can get larger (this is the usual) causing rings to dig into flesh, or get smaller (not the usual but does happen) causing rings to slide around on the finger.
Are you referring to my hands being “bony?” I’m not sure I’m following you. I absolutely lost weight in my hands. My biggest goal when I decided to take the weight off was to be able to wear my wedding rings again. I surpassed my goal and now cannot wear them because they are way too big.

We just recently had to resize our rings. We both went up 2 sizes. Our jeweler recommends spraying windex on the finger to remove a tight ring. If you been trying it several times that day let your finger sit for a bit. It does swell up the more you work with the ring.

Windex does work. Strange but true!

You could try icing your finger. My ring fits WAAAAAAAAY loser in the winter than in the summer. In fact, sometimes I have to be carefl taking gloves off as the ring can slide off with them in winter.

Many years ago, while on a trip to visit family in another state, I realized that one of four prongs on my engagement ring was gone. Leaving just three prongs holding it. We went to a jeweler who would not cut the ring off, but allowed DH to use the tool. Later, I had the diamond placed in a new, nearly identical setting.

There’s a technique where you wrap your finger tightly with string or dental floss. This has worked for me.

I found a video that would be better than explaining:
That image looks painful. Try swimming in a cold body of water. My rings get loose.

I started gaining weight and my ring was getting tight. It is a marque cut and made an impression in my finger so I took it off right away. Not that I wanted to but could not stand it digging in any more. I finally bought another ring that would fit and am happy with it. You may have to get it cut off and get it enlarged if possible.

I had the opposite problem. My ring had gradually gotten looser over the 20 years I'd been wearing it (and I can ensure you that I had not lost weight). The jeweler said that the gold had worn away. It was an easy fix.

Actually you do, or I did anyway. Maybe it depends on how much you lose. I was 30 lbs overweight and lost it three years ago. My ring was snug then - could not have lost it accidentally, but since my weight loss have to be very careful lest I do lose it doing everyday activities, even though it won't just fall off. Have kept the weight off, and my hands have remained the same.
Agreed! You do lose weight in your hands. All of my rings are way too loose now and spin like crazy. Three of them I have just stopped wearing. I can’t really resize either because they wouldn’t get over the knuckles.

You absolutely lose in your hands - I had to stop wearing my set about 5 years ago because I had gained too much weight. Wedding set was a 4.5 and I had to buy size 7 cheapy Amazon rings instead.

Last year I lost 85lbs and once I hit 50lbs gone, those rings fit perfectly again and now they are loose! Once I hit my goal weight, I may need to resize them so I don't lose them - they spin a lot now.

I've been married 31 yrs. My ring was removed during Preg #1 and put back on. With Preg#2, I waited too long. It's been "stuck" on my finger over 25 yrs. I've always been a little concerned about what will happen if I hurt that finger or my hand.

I've been married 27 years and I had to have my wedding band cut off this summer. I've gotten older, wiser, and wider and just could not get it off my finger. I started having panic attacks about it. :scared: I went to a jeweler and they used a manual "saw" to cut it off. There was a guard that slid between the ring and my finger and then the little saw blade was cranked manually. Quick and easy and painless. They said they could resize it for me but I am still waiting for the indentation in my finger to go away! The jeweler said it was scar tissue and to massage the area. It's getting back to normal slowly.

The first jeweler I went to said they couldn't cut off rings anymore and suggested I go to the local firehouse and have them cut it off.

Typically (according to my jeweler) as we age, the knuckles of your hand get larger. But the fleshy part of the finger (between the knuckles) can get larger (this is the usual) causing rings to dig into flesh, or get smaller (not the usual but does happen) causing rings to slide around on the finger.

I don't think I'd trust a jeweler giving medical advice, LOL! Is he really thinking bones will grow bigger as you get older? While there may be swelling in joints due to arthritis, etc, and possibly some bone spurs, bones do not tend to grow bigger as we age. In fact, they tend to do the opposite.

I don't think I'd trust a jeweler giving medical advice, LOL! Is he really thinking bones will grow bigger as you get older? While there may be swelling in joints due to arthritis, etc, and possibly some bone spurs, bones do not tend to grow bigger as we age. In fact, they tend to do the opposite.
I took it that he was referencing arthritis, not actual bone growth.

I hate wearing rings so I was constantly taking mine off. One day I took it off and put it somewhere and it got lost. That was about six years ago and I haven't worn one since. It's great!

Wow. This thread is crazy to me. I take mine off every night. When I first got engaged I tried to sleep with it once & had a nasty scratch on my face in the morning. I didn’t realize ppl never take their rings off at all for years.

Wow. This thread is crazy to me. I take mine off every night. When I first got engaged I tried to sleep with it once & had a nasty scratch on my face in the morning. I didn’t realize ppl never take their rings off at all for years.
The only time I've had my wedding ring off was during the time my broken wrist was cast. So I've had it on over 30 years. The engagement ring comes off periodically, like when I'm putting on hand lotion or prepping messy food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter