Remembering Sylvia

Dan Murphy

We are family.
For 14 years after her passing, I posted a lengthy thread here on the community board, remembering Sylvia, a disboard member who passed away after a long fight against the beast, back on June 7, 2001. Many, maybe most, of those who knew her from back then, 18 years ago, have moved on, on their own accord, or otherwise. Most here today have no knowledge or recollection of this wonderful lady from so many years ago, nor of her son Nick.

Other than periodic updates about Nick and his grandma Margarete (Sylvia's mom), the lengthy read never really changed year to year, same pictures, same story. So, back a few years ago, I guess four now, rather than posting another sort of same thread, I thought I would post just a short thought, remembering this wonderful lady, a friend, Sylvia. And here it is again for today. A wonderful memory.

God speed, my friend, God speed. :hug:'s And continued good wishes for Nick.

Sylvia3_600X443.jpg

I remember Sylvia. Thank you Dan for keeping her memory alive.
I hope all is well with Nick and her family.
God bless them all

I remember Sylvia too. I think Eeyore was her avatar? I think. But I do remember she posted very often.

I too remember Sylvia, and I thank you Dan for always reminding her of us, and bringing back old memories.
God Bless

It always makes me sad thinking of how she had to leave her son, but I think it's beautiful that you keep her memory alive here. :goodvibes

I didn't know her but Dan has always kept her "alive" here on the DIS and I'm sure she would have soooooo appreciated that so thank you Dan for her memories. :love:

An excerpt from a reply email that Sylvia's mom sent to me late Friday night......

Yes Dan, you're right....it doesn't seem like 18 years at all....I still sometimes wait to hear the phone ring around suppertime when she usually called.

I am doing reasonably well but this is always a tough week for me....

As for Nick, he also seems well. I have forwarded your note to him; he's always pleased when someone remembers his mom, as am I........

I remember Sylvia and think of her every June...my "baby sis", Rossann who was a year younger than me died June 3, 2001 of Breast Cancer. Maybe they are friends up in heaven. They both loved Disney!
Were they both the same age when they died?

Good memories always live FOREVER and cannot be erased. Dan, small tributes like this will always keep her spirit alive!

Last edited:
Another year... I was just mentioning to my husband this evening that the internet can be such a positive thing, tying complete strangers together in ways that were never possible before... and here I find Dan's ongoing tribute to Sylvia's memory. I, too, remember Sylvia. Thanks for keeping her memory alive, Dan.

Thanks Dan. I well remember my mother saying that she wasn't afraid to die, but was afraid of not being remembered. That's all anyone wants...to be fondly remembered! Thanks for doing that for Sylvia!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter