Remember.....

des1954

DIS Veteran
Tomorrow is the 7th anniversary of the terrorist attack on the United States. It was a day that decidedly changed the lives of all Americans; both then and yet still, is changing us today. We were awakened from our deluded perception that we were impervious to any attacks, by anyone. We were awakened to the fact that, despite all the assistance we offer to the rest of the world, we are a hated nation; despised by many, and thought to be arrogant and self-serving, while all the time those who hate America and what it stands for, hold out their hands eagerly accepting all we have to offer.

Some can make good arguments claiming that we should have seen it coming. Philosophers and politicians can point fingers at each other and banter over "who's to blame". Everyone's to blame, no one is to blame. It happened. The unthinkable actually happened. Those who survived wonder why their life was spared that day. Those who lost their loved ones wonder why their mother, father, sister, brother, friend had to lose their life. So many questions that can never be answered.

Out of the dust and destruction, out of the death and devestation, one thing stood out above all else; and that is....American's are strong. American's have resolve. American's can, despite being down and hurt, still extend their hands to assist the very nations that produced those heinous and insidious men who tried to tear us apart. Those men did not succeed. What they thought would hurt us and render us helpless, proved to strengthen us and bring us together - tougher than ever. They wasted their pitiful lives on us. They were nothing more than faceless cowards. History will remember their cowardness.

What we as Americans need to remember is not to be lulled into a false sense of security. We have returned to the routine of normal day to day living. Air travel is definitely different from the pre-9/11 days, but for most of us, this has no bearing. Who and what does need to be remembered are the innocent, unknowing citizens who were just carrying on with their normal routines when their lives were cut short by cowardly scum.

What we need to keep fresh in our minds are the visions of the aircraft slamming into those towers, the plane careening into the Pentagon, the heros that fought back on the flight that crashed into a farm field in Pennsylvania. We need to recall the selflessness of ALL the people who, even though their own lives were in peril, sifted through the ashes trying to find anyone who might have survived. We need to keep honoring the police, firemen, doctors, nurses, EMT's, military, and anybody who was there, serving and helping in whatever capacity they could. For those of us who could not actually physically serve, thank you for your unselfish donations of blood and money in the days and weeks and months following the attacks. Every single person in this country who could help, did help. And that is the backbone of America. We are all neighbors ready to help... and to care.

Tomorrow is a day to remember. To remember that we do live in a country where we can express our opinions without the fear of being quieted by the government; to remember that we have the right to worship however we wish - or to not worship. We have the right to oppose our elected officials and call them to rights when they have failed us. We have the precious right to elect the men and women who will serve in the governing of our country. We have the right to any occupation we choose. We have the right to speak our minds. All kidding aside, we have the right to choose to camp at Ft. Wilderness if that is what we desire. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE FREE!!

What we should never forget is that our freedom has been bought and paid for by the blood of those who have served and are currently serving our country. That we are now standing on the shoulders of those who have gone before us, and that with God's help, our children and grandchildren and all generations to come will continue to hold our freedom as a dear and precious gift - to be guarded and fiercely protected.

We should always remember the horrific events of 09/11/01.

Very well said.

It is a very sad day and we will never forget where we were when we heard what was going on. It was so hard to believe.

We were awakened to the fact that, despite all the assistance we offer to the rest of the world, we are a hated nation; despised by many, and thought to be arrogant and self-serving, while all the time those who hate America and what it stands for, hold out their hands eagerly accepting all we have to offer.

Ain't that the truth. I really believe we should start helping our own people and stop rushing off to help every other country who don't do anything for us when we need it. :mad:

yeah I have to agree with Deb and to a point Al. I'm not normally sensitive as you may know, but this is one thing that bothers me. It hit home, not so much watching stuff on tv, but I went to a Yankee playoff game that year. We took the PATH in, and when we got off, we had to walk to the subway. There were hundreds of pictues taped everywhere you could see of people looking for loved ones. The one that hit me the hardest was one of a guy holding his daughter who was about my age, and I thought ****, this guy's never coming home, and his daughter probably didn't even get to say goodbye. The guy was just going to work like I do every day, and he was never coming home. The firefighters and the rest, danger is a part of their daily ritual, and I guess I'd be sortof prepared for something like that, not that it's any better or whatever, but this guy was going to sit at a desk and do what I basically do. And for this guy, there were hundreds of other people in his same boat in that terminal...... so RIP people of 9/11, hopefully God makes the load on your loved ones a little lighter.

Debbie ~ I don't think anyone could have said it any better!

AMEN

if I may add ~ please remember to hang your flags out tomorrow if they're not already out

That was one day in my lifetime that I will never forget...

My dh called me from work and got me up out of bed and said " turn the tv on " and when I did the second plane had just hit the tower and I said to my dh "what movie is this", I actually thought I was watching the making of a movie, because at the time in uptown Charlotte they were filming a movie so that's all I could think about, it looked so unreal...

they sent my dh home early from work that day and we sat and watched this play out on tv..just horrible...we had so much fear, up to that point we were not part of a church, after that, both me and my dh joined the church and started to find some sort of comfort from God.

I couldn't imagine being there, just watching it made me sick to my stomach.

GOD BLESS AMERICA ! :grouphug:

What a sad day, and also a day that made me proud at one time. The "impossible" attack on American soil was unbelievable to most. I was going through a Howard Stern phase and I can remember them trying to figure out what was happening,,,,and they could see from thier studio. This was happening before much hit the news.The proud part comes into the American people that stood up as one to show that we would not take this. There was no protesting agaist protecting ourselves. We Were one. Of course over time, with no further attacks people get back to thinking we are untouchable and we are over reacting. Hopefully, on this day, people will remember, if only for a day, that we are not loved by all and no matter what we do, we won't change that. But, there are people that would do us harm given the chance for no other reason than we are not them.
We don't know everything about what is going on in homeland security and we don't need to,,, any one who thinks otherwise is in the right place because you live in Fantasyland. I lost an Uncle at the battle of the Bulge and also had an uncle that helped take Iwo Jima( and survived ).I love this country, and applaud those that help keep us safe.
Let us never forget who we are or how we got here. :hug:

That was extremely well said, Debbie. I do hope that the images of that day, 7 years ago will be reinstated in the minds of all Americans today. In the weeks following the 9/11 attacks, I had never been more proud to be an American. The way the entire country banded together and people came out of the woodwork to help and love was the fore most feeling on everyone's hearts. Just as I was proud to be from Blacksburg after the VT massacre. Tragedy has a way of bringing out the best in people. But how soon we forget. I'm sure those of you living in New York have a more constant reminder. Where, I can certainly see the curse in that....I feel that it is also a blessing. I hope those images remind you to see the "American" who cut you off on the highway. The "American" who doesn't have enough money to buy milk for their children. The "American" who sacrifices their own life to keep us free. When those images are no longer there to remind us, sometimes we treat our fellow Americans like a nuisance. That is why I hope the images shown today make a greater impact. Those "nuisances" will be there for us the next time we fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter