Remember the FD resort upgrades last year???

beachgrl001

DIS Veteran
Last year Disney offered upgrades from value to deluxe(OKW/SSR) for the free dining dates. Anyone think there is a chance of them doing this again? I think it was the 2nd time they did it. here is a copy of the email from last year:

Surprise, ********* Family!

We're offering you a FREE upgrade from the Disney Value Resort you booked for your upcoming stay (between 8/21/09 and 10/3/09) to a studio room at: Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Where Victorian architecture winds through enchanting parks, waterways and golf course views. OR Disney's Old Key West Resort
Where the charm of a 1900s Key West-style resort meets the creature comforts of home. Upgrade and you'll be getting more of everything at no additional charge, including more space for your family and more in-room amenities. Plus, you'll be even closer to some amazing Disney golf and delicious Disney Dining! All just moments away from the Theme Parks.

To get your FREE upgrade, all you have to do is call. But hurry... the number of rooms available with this offer is limited! Payment of original reservations balance required. No group rates or other discounts apply. Advance reservations required. Offer is nontransferable. Additional amounts will be due for any increase in length of stay or stays beyond 10/3/09. To get your FREE upgrade, call
407-939-7943

by 8/1/09

So wouldn't it be great if they did it again? :wizard:Just thinking out loud here;)
I am happy just going to the World:lovestruc

I can't remember, but it seems like about this time I got mine last year. Here's hoping you get one!

The upgrades came out on 7/23/2009:goodvibes I know alot of the DVC people were upset that we were getting FD& the upgrade, but I was very happy and grateful, I had never gotten any kind of perk like that from disney.

well Im definitely not counting on it but it sure was nice. The way disney is cutting back I cant see it happening but a gal can dream...

the only reason Disney upgraded people was because the value resorts were sold out for FD. They wanted to get more people to book, and the best way to do that was to be able to open up value resort rooms for FD. With the poor economy, I would guess most people were willing to pay value prices, but balked at paying deluxe/villa prices. So, they upgraded people that had already booked at values, and opened up the bookings for FD at values that way. I don't think people booked at mods for FD were offered the upgrade. The idea was to open up the least expensive rooms. I don't know about the value resorts, but I know that CSR is still open for FD on labor day week. I keep checking because we are still considering going that week. If the values are not booked up yet, I don't think the upgrades will be offered. But, maybe I am wrong about all this and you will get the upgrade! That would be nice!

That would be nice, but you can't dwell on it. I got upgraded during FD in 2006, but mine was upon checkin at Pop. It was mid-week (Wednesday) for a 5 night stay and was asked if I would be interested in moving to CSR. I agreed and it was nice paying Pop prices and staying at CSR with FD. I noticed that several other parties checking in were being given the same offer, so it was not to us specifically. I'm guessing checking in mid-week had alot to do with it too as you don't have the same turn over of rooms like on the weekends. We are planning on doing the free dining again this year (unless I cancel it) and again will be checking in on a Wedneday and departing on a Tuesday. We actually have the BB FD, so ours includes our stay at Pop, with the basic DDP, and only the 1 night ticket requirement (AP holders). Of course I'm also booked at AKV-Kidani in case I decide to cancel the FD package.

I never had that happen to me! I sure would love it to happen though!!!! They upgrade you to a better resort without charging you?! Thats AWESOME:)

the only reason Disney upgraded people was because the value resorts were sold out for FD. They wanted to get more people to book, and the best way to do that was to be able to open up value resort rooms for FD. With the poor economy, I would guess most people were willing to pay value prices, but balked at paying deluxe/villa prices. So, they upgraded people that had already booked at values, and opened up the bookings for FD at values that way. I don't think people booked at mods for FD were offered the upgrade. The idea was to open up the least expensive rooms. I don't know about the value resorts, but I know that CSR is still open for FD on labor day week. I keep checking because we are still considering going that week. If the values are not booked up yet, I don't think the upgrades will be offered. But, maybe I am wrong about all this and you will get the upgrade! That would be nice!

By the time Disney was offering the upgrades last year FD was no longer available. You had to book by June 22 (I think thats the correct date). The value resorts were booked for certain dates and Disney did want to open some rooms up. 2 or 3 yrs ago it was during Labor Day weekend when they were upgrading people. I honestly don't think they are getting the numbers they were expecting this year. Might have to do with QSDP for Values or that you have to buy a 2 day ticket. We don't need tickets since we have SPs that don't expire til November or January. My work schedule this year is not flexible, have to work 1 weekend day every week and my days off are not scheduled together so I'm not even sure I will be renewing using the GAD. Might just use it for FP and let the SP expire.

I got this pin last year too. But didn't get online soon enough and missed all the rooms for our dates. :/

I was trying to remember when it came out too. Thanks PP who said 7/23 - now marked on my calendar. :)

We are going 9/25-10/2 And it looks like the mods are pretty much sold out. But the values still have a ton of openings. Not sure if it's like that for other dates or not. But if the values are still open and the mods are the ones full this year I wouldn't count on getting an upgrade pin again. :(

I got this pin last year too. But didn't get online soon enough and missed all the rooms for our dates. :/

I was trying to remember when it came out too. Thanks PP who said 7/23 - now marked on my calendar. :)

We are going 9/25-10/2 And it looks like the mods are pretty much sold out. But the values still have a ton of openings. Not sure if it's like that for other dates or not. But if the values are still open and the mods are the ones full this year I wouldn't count on getting an upgrade pin again. :(

Right...I'll bet people are upgrading to Mods this year so they can get the TS dining instead of the QSDP at the values-leaving more value rooms open. We had this upgrade from Music to SSR in 2007 and it was great!!! :goodvibes :cool1:

Right...I'll bet people are upgrading to Mods this year so they can get the TS dining instead of the QSDP at the values-leaving more value rooms open. We had this upgrade from Music to SSR in 2007 and it was great!!! :goodvibes :cool1:

Yes I agree that this is the reason. Wonder how many of them don't realize that you can upgrade their QS to DP at the values? I mean it WAS kinda brilliant on disney's part. The average park goer isn't on the dis. So I doubt most people realize this.

So this is good and bad for us value folks. It means our resorts won't be as packed, but also that I doubt we have the possibility of getting an upgrade.

So was it only the people who had free dining that got the upgrade? I'm going down 8/14 and was just wondering if I should bother hoping for an upgrade.

So was it only the people who had free dining that got the upgrade? I'm going down 8/14 and was just wondering if I should bother hoping for an upgrade.

yes, it was just people booked into value resorts for free dining who got the email offer to upgrade to SSR or OKW. Apparently Disney wanted to free up more value rooms since they were booked up...by upgrading folks to more expensive resorts Disney then had more value rooms available for last-minute rack-rate bookings.

I have a stay booked at the end of Sept/into October. For now, all the value and mod resorts are available for our timeframe, hence a very low chance of an upgrade. We chose a value resort as I wanted QSDP for this trip and not having to worry about ADR's and a stricter schedule. I agree- in years past, upgrades were given to open up more rooms in the value resorts which were bursting at the seams!---Kathy

I was reading on the wdwmagic site that some people from the UK are getting this offer from 9/3 to 10/2. The dream is still alive for some of you!

I could only wish I would get an upgrade, but I check in before free dining, and I'm in the ASMu FS, so I'm thinking it won't be me.... but on the other hand, I'm paying for the DxDP, so maybe Disney will be nice to me :rolleyes1

I hope they do it, but I rather doubt it. My dates still have all value rooms still available for free dining. i can't imagine why they would upgrade us when there is plenty of space. We got a free upgrade to the 1 bedroom suites at SSR last year and just loved it!

Someone from the UK posted their actual letter... they have to take advantage of it by 7/14/10 and it was only for those people staying in Mod hotels. I'm staying in the ASMu family suite, so we can't even fit in one of what they are offering... oh well... at least I'll be in Disney!:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter