refusal to board

humancatapult4

Earning My Ears
Friend has pointed out that there may be a issue that airline may insist that there is a carer and not let us board am thinking more flight out than home as pretty sure we be covered home wise under the ADA

Im afull time wheelchair user .But can transfer etc and am planning to use a indwelling cathter for the flight anyway so should mean dont need to leave my seat

But will also have my son with me who has Sn ,with a degree of PD uses a wheelchair for distance and if needs to rest after seizure wears afos etc and Ld but no behavioual issues at all he quite happily manged a 5 hr trian journey with no problems etc .He would need his chair up to gate but then coud mange to toddle down to plane to board or can always lap surf as long as he does not grow to much ( is alsmost 7 now ut size of a 3 yo)

Will also have my daughter who be nearly 11 .So if need be she can hold his hand to walk him down to toilet etc and remind him to flush and wash his hands .Cutting food up well i can do as per normal anyway .

What are the chances they insist on a carer being present .We dont have any help at home me or him .I mange everything as a single parent

Friend has pointed out that there may be a issue that airline may insist that there is a carer and not let us board am thinking more flight out than home as pretty sure we be covered home wise under the ADA

Sorry to say that friends and "hearsay" almost always are poor and many times wrong sources.

- ADA does NOT come into affect here. When dealing with flying it is the ACAA. That does NOT just apply to a flight leaving the US, it also applies to any flight landing in the US. So, you are covered for the entire trip. Beyond that, there is the EU legislation I pointed you to earlier this week. Again; it covers you totally. Both are clear; you can NOT be denied boarding unless you are an unacceptable risk (think about risk to other passengers on both medical and behavioural stuff, risk of having to do an emergency landing etc.)

Airlines are ONLY allowed to deny you to fly solo if they have a fair reason that you need a carer. This does NOT mean needing a helping hand boarding, going to and from the bathroom (yet; NO help will or is allowed to be offered with any bathroom issues further than the mobility part), grabbing a bag etc. If you health is in such a way it is unsafe to fly without a carer, they would have to get this looked into by an outsourched medical service. ONLY when they state you would need a carer is an airline allowed to deny you flying solo. I'll be blunt here; this is NOT something they can do that easily. Facts you have given so far in this and the other topic are not even close to any doubt if you will be able to fly alone. You are.

Im afull time wheelchair user .But can transfer etc and am planning to use a indwelling cathter for the flight anyway so should mean dont need to leave my seat

No reason whatsoever not to have medical clearance to fly solo.

But will also have my son with me who has Sn ,with a degree of PD uses a wheelchair for distance and if needs to rest after seizure wears afos etc and Ld but no behavioual issues at all he quite happily manged a 5 hr trian journey with no problems etc .He would need his chair up to gate but then coud mange to toddle down to plane to board or can always lap surf as long as he does not grow to much ( is alsmost 7 now ut size of a 3 yo)

Again no reason he's not allowed to fly without medical clearance with the details you are providing here.

Will also have my daughter who be nearly 11 .So if need be she can hold his hand to walk him down to toilet etc and remind him to flush and wash his hands .Cutting food up well i can do as per normal anyway .

Again; no issue. In cases like this if need be a FA can hold sons hand to and from. No lifting obviously, but if there would be such a big need there is something called an onboard wheelchair that can FA's use to get a passenger to and from the bathroom.

What are the chances they insist on a carer being present .We dont have any help at home me or him .I mange everything as a single parent

Simple; zero. It's simply not allowed. Sure, Easyjet and Air Ryan have been known to deny boarding on utter stupidness like "don't want to bother with a chair" after EU legislation came into place, but apparently they love dealing with the EU fining them. Neither are an option to MCO. Only options there are those that might not always be perfect but are smart enough not to pull this type of illegal stunts. Zero chance to run into this.

I only have one piece of advice; invest a day in reading up on material. Not only is knowledge power, but you seem to be rather unfamiliar with pretty basic stuff which in itself can easily result in problems, let alone when others think they are doing you a favor but making it worse by providing utter nonsence information. Read the EU legislation. It's pretty clear on what you can and can't expect from both airline and airport. It will be the basic standard of airtravel for you on ANY trip, residing in London and as such it's a must know. After that; visit one of the many websites that give an understandable shortlist of what the ACAA means as this also comes into play as it nowadays also being applicable on flights to and from the US, no longer just within the US.

I am an adult who has travelled solo with my service dog extensively. We have flown across the US and to Barcelona. I use a ventilator 24/7 but can transfer from their aisle chair to the airline's seat by myself. I have never been challenged or ask to provide any proof that I don't need an attendant. I have however, been asked to contact the airline in advance to let them know the equipment I'm bringing as they have a list of approved devices. I can't see that you'll have any issues either- you aren't asking the airline for any accommodation other than to board first, which is allowed.

Thnak you

have read through the links and yes cna not see why not .But just to e sure have emailed the companies and got in writing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter