Refreshment package vs. Soda package

Spork24

Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder
First time swapping from Disney to RCC. I am trying to decide between buying the refreshment package and the soda package.

I am a coffee drinker and I do enjoy a nice glass of juice with breakfast but will be mostly using it for soda. Any perks to the refreshment package that may not be obvious?

Do you have to have the souvenir soda cup with you to get sodas? do I have to bring it to the main dining with me? or will they give me a soda in a glass when I want it? Any difference in the two packages in relation to when and where you can get soda and if you need your fancy cup with you?

I believe the cup allows you to use the Coke Freestyle machines, but you can still get soda at a bar or dinner without that. No difference between packages regarding where you can get soda.

Obviously the refreshment package costs more, and includes those other items. Juice, well the regular stuff is included with breakfast but the fresh squeezed is what you can get with the package. Coffee, plain stuff is free but if you want the espresso, latte, etc then refreshment package includes that. They usually have a coffee card as well, something like 10 coffee for whatever price (it varies by ship and sailing, and sale). Keep in mind you can't use the refreshment package at Starbucks. You can use the refreshment package for non-alcoholic drinks too, they are about $7 each. Soda is $3.25 for a can, latte would be $4.25. Bottle of water is also $3.25. Watch for sales on the refreshment package, it often goes on for a good deal.

On the coffee card package, something to note is that it is only valid at the barista bar on the main promenade and doesn't work in the dining room. I bought the package on our last cruise thinking I could use it to get a latte at breakfast or with my dessert at dinner, but the servers informed me that's not how it works (they did make an exception the first time and were nice enough to grab a latte for me with my card, but it was a one-time only thing).

If I had known that ahead of time, I wouldn't have gotten the card, as I ended up with a lot of extra punches left on the card. Regular drip coffee is available everywhere and doesn't cost anything extra, so that's what I usually had at breakfast.

On the coffee card package, something to note is that it is only valid at the barista bar on the main promenade and doesn't work in the dining room. I bought the package on our last cruise thinking I could use it to get a latte at breakfast or with my dessert at dinner, but the servers informed me that's not how it works (they did make an exception the first time and were nice enough to grab a latte for me with my card, but it was a one-time only thing).

If I had known that ahead of time, I wouldn't have gotten the card, as I ended up with a lot of extra punches left on the card. Regular drip coffee is available everywhere and doesn't cost anything extra, so that's what I usually had at breakfast.

This was very helpful,

We were considering getting the coffee card, and probably wont know!

We did end up buying a soda package

I think the potential value of the refreshment package depends on the ship. For example, on the Oasis class ships have the Solarium cafe that makes smoothies and freshly squeezed juices that are covered on the refreshment package but would otherwise cost $6-7 I believe. However I don't see that other classes of ships have the Solarium Cafe. Not to say there aren't other options but certainly more places to take advantage on Oasis class.

I think the potential value of the refreshment package depends on the ship. For example, on the Oasis class ships have the Solarium cafe that makes smoothies and freshly squeezed juices that are covered on the refreshment package but would otherwise cost $6-7 I believe. However I don't see that other classes of ships have the Solarium Cafe. Not to say there aren't other options but certainly more places to take advantage on Oasis class.
Quick note on this, on our Oasis cruise this past January, the Solarium cafe was hardly ever open (I think for 2 hours in the morning it was).

Refreshment includes non alcoholic mock tails like virgin daiquiri or pina colada.

Quick note on this, on our Oasis cruise this past January, the Solarium cafe was hardly ever open (I think for 2 hours in the morning it was).

That sucks. Although at least if it's open in the morning that's good for those who like to work out then. Found it to provide good value for refreshsment package.

You could but it's the same price for the shot or the mixed drink.
I've heard the shot is ~$7. So there would be a savings getting the mocktail under the package and adding the shot. Whether you want to go through the hassle is a different story.

We found the bartenders would make us something fun (but non-alcoholic) if we asked them and just relied on their expertise.
All covered under the refreshment package, and it made for some delicious drinks!

I like the refreshment package. I like getting lattes and virgin cocktails. It’s also great that you can get bottled water. Whenever I picked up a drink I would also ask for a bottle of water. Then I had bottled water to have in the cabin or to take with us on shore.

I would easily get my money out of it just with the lattes, bottled water and occasional virgin cocktail

I see the premium drink package but most of the brands don't seem premium... is there another level or can I buy better brands a la carte? I think that's what I may have to do. I won't have an issue getting my money's worth. RCCL will lose money on us, but I don't want to get the package just to buy alcohol in addition.

RCCL newbie here trying to navigate all of the packages and potential upcharges (remembering the sticker shock from our bar bills on the DCL cruises lol). My question is actually about WATER. I drink a ton of water throughout the day, and even more on vacations. I'm fine with filtered tap water and don't really have a preference for any brand or bottled water, but just wondering how hard it is to get it in large quantities any time of day. Is getting a drink package that includes water a better idea?

You can get unlimited water from bars/restaurants - I honestly don't know whether it is like filtered tap water or not (think of water dispensed at a bar from a spout). I'm not picky about my water, but it's good enough for me such that I've never felt the need to get canned/bottled water.

Bottled water! We stocked up to take on excursions. Also got a lot of Powerade, Vitamin Water, energy drinks and from the gym juice bar to keep on hand in the room, as well as the juices/smoothies. Plus shakes from Johnny Rockets. This was on our last one on Harmony in November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter