Reflections on first Run Disney Half Marathon from an out of shape desk worker

AinW

Mouseketeer
I completed the Princess Half Marathon last weekend and wanted to share some thoughts, encouragement and advice to those who are signed up or considering future Run Disney events.

1. You CAN do this! Running the race is so much more motivating than any training you do. It was the most supportive athletic event I have ever attended. Between the crowds of supportive runners, chear squads, bands and DJ's along the route, you have nothing but encouragement and kindness. [At least if you start in a back corral], you will see many participants walking - there is nothing to be ashamed of!

2. Don't panic if you're not as well trained as you intended! I signed my DD and I up for it last summer to motivate us to get into better shape. My intentions were valid, however it produced far more guilt and fear than training. I have an active travel schedule (to non-female workout friendly countries) that was a handy excuse, but it was truly my own fault. I am a walker, not a runner, by nature and have endurance but not speed. I am a workaholic so adding anything into my schedule is a challenge, another handy excuse.

About three weeks before the race we did a two hour "see how far we can each go" test along a flat trail. I did about 8 miles, my DD did 10, so I had more confidence she would finish than I. In the actual race, I started a corral ahead of her and she caught up to me in the last mile so were able to finish together.

3. Pacers - each corral has at least one person identified as a pacer - talk to them. I started in Corral N - there were two pacers, both doing 15 seconds running, 45 seconds walking, but at different speeds. (The lower speed was going to finish in 3:30; the faster speed in 3:15; I finished in about 3 hours.) I believed I could do that so I started with the more challenging group and found I could do more, so I pushed myself to move up through the crowd seeking out pacers from faster corrals. (I am highly competitive so this was effective for me.) I knew so long as I stayed ahead of these pacers, I did not have to worry about getting swept.

4. If you want the free gifts at Disney Springs, get there the first day! Many of them were gone by the second day.

5. Stay on site and take the bus. Yes they say this. It's true. They had to delay the start due to people stuck in traffic. There is no need to get there early, however.

6. Add at least 2 miles to the race just to get there: you need to walk to the bus (usually just one stop per resort), walk from the bus to the staging area (about half a mile), THEN walk at least another mile from the staging area to the starting corrals.

7. Have a throwaway heat blanket - you WILL be cold waiting for your corral to be called. It took over 35 minutes for our corral to start. If you discard any clothing, it is drycleaned and donated - it is NOT turned into a "lost and found" station for you to reclaim.

8. ENJOY IT!!! The costumes are great and there's nothing like running through the MK and Epcot with crowds cheering for you and the monorail pilot hitting the horn for you!

Thank you so much for this post! My friend did the Star Wars Light Side half this January and has talked me into doing it next January and I am not a runner at all. I have been so apprehensive, but this helps and is good info. Thanks again!

8. ENJOY IT!!! The costumes are great and there's nothing like running through the MK and Epcot with crowds cheering for you and the monorail pilot hitting the horn for you!

Congratulations! It was my first Half too, and I have to say I think my favorite thing that happened the whole weekend in all three races were the monorail pilots honking at us. SO much fun!

Thanks for the encouragement! I am running on Sunday in the Star Wars half and getting worried as I haven't trained like I should have. Also participating with girls 1/2 my age, which is intimidating as well. I've done 4 Disney races, the longest was the 10K in January. I'm hoping to find a cocktail around mile 11 somewhere around the Boardwalk to celebrate finishing the race!

4. If you want the free gifts at Disney Springs, get there the first day! Many of them were gone by the second day.

Yes. This was SO obnoxious. And very different from the past. This time they allowed you to bring your bib in instead of your medal, and they had under ordered. I was very upset with the changes this year.

5. Stay on site and take the bus. Yes they say this. It's true. They had to delay the start due to people stuck in traffic. There is no need to get there early, however.

Actually in my corral and looking on the FB page, it was the opposite for many. Some people posted when they left their offsite resort, and they got there before the buses that were stuck. In those cases one would have rather gotten there from offsite by car.

This is great and very encouraging. I signed up for my first 10k at Wine and Dine. I started training in January then got sick with my gallbladder and had surgery. Just started up again, from scratch! There is part of me that's excited and nervous and another that's downright terrified. Reports like this help reinforce that I CAN do this!!

Thank you so much for posting this! I am getting ready to register in just over a week for the Princess Half marathon. It will be my first ever runDisney event and my first half (I'm hoping to register for one towards the end of the summer, but am not registered for one yet). I appreciate you giving me an idea of what to expect as well as the encouragement.

How long did you all train before your first race? I've never been in one before, and will be doing shorter races near home before I fly from Nevada to Florida to run - I'm not sure if it would be better to wait til 2019 instead of 2018, even tho I really want to go.

Thank you for posting you experience. I just signed up for the Princess Half. This will be my first and I too will be running with people half my age! I'm am very nervous!!! Someone from work with whom I shared my fears with said - it's going to be a long winter..

Thank you for posting you experience. I just signed up for the Princess Half. This will be my first and I too will be running with people half my age! I'm am very nervous!!! Someone from work with whom I shared my fears with said - it's going to be a long winter..

Way to go! Don't worry about age. There will be SO many different folks running this race. I'm 35, my friend is 44 and my co-worker is 62 and we're all doing it together. :) Best of luck in your training.

Thanks so much to everyone who liked this post! There are almost 40 years between my DD & I to put it in more perspective.

Congratulations to all of you who have signed up! You CAN do it!!! In retrospect, we could have done all 3 races-when you're doing the Half, it really puts the 5 & 10k races into perspective!

One added perk-since the race was our second trip within a year, it paid off to upgrade our 2016 summer park tix to annual passes so my DD & I are squeezing in one more trip before they expire as a virtual 'freebie' (we have enough DVC points we would otherwise bank & I have a companion plane ticket that expires the end of the summer)pixiedust: We live on the west coast so 3 trips in 1 year is exceptional for us!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!

How long did you all train before your first race? I've never been in one before, and will be doing shorter races near home before I fly from Nevada to Florida to run - I'm not sure if it would be better to wait til 2019 instead of 2018, even tho I really want to go.

Don't know if you got an answer to your question, but I'll jump in with my experience. I decided in January of the year I turned 50 to start running--just to break up a rut. I signed up for the Minnie 15k (9.3 miles), which took place in early May. So zero to 9.3 in 4 months, with a goal of just finishing. I found a sort of "Couch to 15k" plan online that incorporated run/walk in the training (although the goal was to run the race) And I did it. Signing up for that race--with no previous experience--was one of the scariest things I have ever done (that was before I went on Jeopardy)

My only point is: You have plenty of time to prepare yourself smartly and well for 2018. The mental hurdle may be the biggest part. I think you can go for it!

Thanks so much to everyone who liked this post! There are almost 40 years between my DD & I to put it in more perspective.

Congratulations to all of you who have signed up! You CAN do it!!! In retrospect, we could have done all 3 races-when you're doing the Half, it really puts the 5 & 10k races into perspective!

One added perk-since the race was our second trip within a year, it paid off to upgrade our 2016 summer park tix to annual passes so my DD & I are squeezing in one more trip before they expire as a virtual 'freebie' (we have enough DVC points we would otherwise bank & I have a companion plane ticket that expires the end of the summer)pixiedust: We live on the west coast so 3 trips in 1 year is exceptional for us!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!

What kind of training plan did you follow? I too am a desk jockey and have 2 young kiddos. I plan on doing the 10k, but was considering the half as well. Also, what was the longest distance you did before the actual race?

This is great and very encouraging. I signed up for my first 10k at Wine and Dine. I started training in January then got sick with my gallbladder and had surgery. Just started up again, from scratch! There is part of me that's excited and nervous and another that's downright terrified. Reports like this help reinforce that I CAN do this!!

Same here! Posts like this keep me positive!
I did the W&D 5k last year as my first anything, and loved it so much that I decided I could do the 10k this year. Insert serious car crash only a few weeks after W&D last year, and I wasn't so sure anymore. Eventually, I signed up for the 10k mostly to prove to myself mentally and physically that I'm still here. I'm building my way back (with doctor's orders!), but I echo the excited, nervous, and terrified feelings.
I'll see you at the finish line that Saturday! :)

This is so encouraging! I've been wanting to do a race for a while but am terrified of it. But I think I might just give it a shot...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter