Reef Snorkel- Cozumel, post-hurricane

Tim_from_PGH

Earning My Ears
Has anyone been on the Reef Snorkel excursion in Cozumel post-hurricane?

I got word from an friend of a friends mother-in-law that cruised on another line that they were dissapointed in the reef/ fish in Cozumel lately. I hardly count that as a reliable source (like I do this board)!

We've booked this excursion for our May 27th cruise. I'd love to hear what other DISers thought about this excursion and the waters in Cozumel (after the hurricane). :fish:

DH and I will be on this excursion next week. I'm curious to know everyone's experiences, too.

I hope someone who has snorkeled pre and post Wilma can respond. We snorkeled Dzul Ha a few years ago. Went straight from the "beach" and saw great stuff. I had emailed Cozumel Ian, and he suggested getting a boat this year, due to the destruction of the coral close to shore.

Carla

We did a three reef snorkel, through Shore Trips, in December. While I haven't snorkeled in Cozumel before, I'd have to say that we found a lot of different fish to look at. Our driver and our guide said that the reef was pretty torn up and barren, compared to before, but they said that the fish had returned and all was getting back to normal.
For us, the water was clear as glass, and like I said, there were a ton of different fish...so it was well worth it!

My husband just did this trip on the April 7 cruise and was dissapointed. Not nearly as much life and color as the trip he did in Grand Cayman and the reef was very torn up. I don't think he would recommend it to anyone else at this time.

Any specific reefs you can name? Maybe Stace and Red were in different spots? How far off shore?

Carla

We went south to Palancar, and then worked our way back "up" toward Marina Caleta. We were quite a ways off shore.

We did an excellent snorkeling trip there about 2 months ago. We went on The Manta Catamaran Snorkeling Tour we did two reefs and they were quite beautiful. I can't remember the names of the top of my head but were impressed with the tropical fish. It was fairly clear, not as crystal as Cayman but I'm sure it depends on the day. We really had a great time on this tour and it was a great deal, only $40us and kids were less. We had beer and sodas, such a great crew and the catamaran was B-U-T-FUL :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Thanks all,

Ohh, Stace,

I loved diving Palancar many moons before children. How was the snorkeling there? I'm curious about the depth and the wave action. Did you have to drift and have the boat follow? My boys are pretty good snorkelers, but I'm not sure about going far off shore, deep water and having to drift.

Wavegirl, the same kind of questions: how deep, how much current?

Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter