Redwitch & My F&W Adventure! Questing! The Worst Drink Ever! Sushi Rolling! Shochu! Help!!!

Okay, Chef G Gavin's recipe will be out tomorrow, not yesterday. I apparently run on late time. Or 'I just napped most of the day' time, but don't tell my mom that.

(Shoot, she reads these posts.)

Er... well, Magic Kingdom! New castle show was really cute. It made me tear up and stand around cheering and chanting, all that good stuff. They called it a Fall Celebration and were definitely in fall outfits, though, so I wonder if it's just limited to Fall. Will they bring it back next year? I hope so.

FRIAR'S NOOK

This is one of those places that is rarely open. If you don't know where it is, it's right near the Winnie the Pooh giftshop, and over where the old Snow White ride that used to traumatize small children for life was.

My Favorite Disney Blogger (also known by me as 'that snarky guy') reviewed here forever ago and I thought I wanted to eat there. So, there you go.

This is BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese. My first comment was 'Not as good as mom's'. That's nice I guess. No, seriously, this was probably Stoffer's mac. The mac was just okay: very cheesy. The meat wasn't gummy, and the crunchy slaw on the top was tasty. Mother commented it as "perfectly serviceable". It was basically average, in my opinion, but honestly, besides Columbia Harbor House, I find it hard to even find 'average' at MK counter services. So this was nice enough.

Next, a bit more sake and a very long Japanese meal.

Yes she does! :mad:

'Not as good as mom's'.

She's trying to disarm me about napping most of the day. But, I do make a mean Mac & Cheese. It will take at least five years off your life. Four or five kinds of freshly grated cheese, bacon, real cream....

crunchy slaw on the top was tasty.

I did like the crunchy slaw. Overall, it was an OK dish and filled us up.

Okay, Chef G Gavin's recipe will be out tomorrow, not yesterday. I apparently run on late time. Or 'I just napped most of the day' time, but don't tell my mom that.

Er... well, Magic Kingdom! New castle show was really cute. It made me tear up and stand around cheering and chanting, all that good stuff. They called it a Fall Celebration and were definitely in fall outfits, though, so I wonder if it's just limited to Fall. Will they bring it back next year? I hope so.

FRIAR'S NOOK

This is one of those places that is rarely open. If you don't know where it is, it's right near the Winnie the Pooh giftshop, and over where the old Snow White ride that used to traumatize small children for life was.

My Favorite Disney Blogger (also known by me as 'that snarky guy') reviewed here forever ago and I thought I wanted to eat there. So, there you go.

This is BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese. My first comment was 'Not as good as mom's'. That's nice I guess. No, seriously, this was probably Stoffer's mac. The mac was just okay: very cheesy. The meat wasn't gummy, and the crunchy slaw on the top was tasty. Mother commented it as "perfectly serviceable". It was basically average, in my opinion, but honestly, besides Columbia Harbor House, I find it hard to even find 'average' at MK counter services. So this was nice enough.

Next, a bit more sake and a very long Japanese meal.

Enjoying your review! I've always felt deprived not being able to try out those mac & cheeses at Friar's Nook, since I can't tolerate gluten. Hearing it's not so great makes me feel better, lol!

I need to try sake, still never have...not a big drinker since 99% of my life outside of work is spent at some sort of practice, work out or game :faint::laughing:
Your mac and cheese looked very Stouffer-esque but the toppings looked interesting...

Enjoying your review! I've always felt deprived not being able to try out those mac & cheeses at Friar's Nook, since I can't tolerate gluten. Hearing it's not so great makes me feel better, lol!

Yeah, you're not missing much. It was edible and nice to try once, maybe, but it wasn't anything worth missing. Now, with my mom's mac and cheese, you'd miss a lot, but she doesn't sell that (yet- or probably ever, really). Thanks for your post and likes, and I'm glad you're reading it!

I need to try sake, still never have...not a big drinker since 99% of my life outside of work is spent at some sort of practice, work out or game :faint::laughing:
Your mac and cheese looked very Stouffer-esque but the toppings looked interesting...

Try the sake bar in Japan! It's right near the candy, so there's a bunch of stuff to distract one's princes when one needs a drink. >.> And yeah, the topping was the good part about that mac and cheese. The mac and cheese itself was nothing out of the ordinary.

I really am going to post the recipe, I swear, but first a review.

SAKE BAR YET AGAIN

Yeah, guess who went back?

This was the Food and Wine Festival special sake, Ozeki Judan Jikomi. It was fifteen dollars. Yes, fifteen dollars for a sample size cup.

The reason for that is due to some complicated steps they take in the brewing, making this sake a ten step project instead of the usual seven steps. What you need to know is that it was quite sweet- almost dessert wine sweet, very crisp and incredibly tasty. I'm not sure if the sample was worth that much money, but I'm glad I tried it: it was one of the best sakes we had this trip, and I usually enjoy drier ones rather then sweeter ones.

Well, that was short, right?

Next is a long one: the Tokyo Dining Pairing Experience Food and Wine Unami Flavors Sake Sushi Drama. It's called something like that, anyway. I might divide that post in to two: I think I have too many pictures for one post. It was a fun meal.

This was the Food and Wine Festival special sake, Ozeki Judan Jikomi. It was fifteen dollars. Yes, fifteen dollars for a sample size cup.

As if anyone needed further proof that we have no will power when it comes to handing our money to Disney

I really am going to post the recipe,

I'm not calling you a liar,
Just don't lie to me.

I'm not calling you a liar,
Just don't lie to me.

Don't you quote my favorite band at me! :E

Just to prove her wrong, here's Chef G Gavin's super recipe for salmon and other yummies.

First, the Sauteed Cream Corn. You need:
+ 6 large ears of sweet yellow corn
+ 1/2 cup all purpose flour
+ 1 tablespoon sugar (he said this could be left out if one has small rowdy kids)
+ Kosher salt and pepper to taste
+ 1 cup cream
+ 2 large green onions, diced

Method of cooking:
1. Shuck and de-silk the ears of corn, then rinse.
2. Using a sharp knife, remove the kernels from the cob, scraping to get it all off.
3. Mix in the flour, sugar, salt and pepper together and coat the corn well with the mixture.
4. Heat oil in medium pan over high heat.
5. Place corn in the skillet and fry until the corn is tender and the flour starts to brown. Stir frequently to prevent the flower from sticking.
6. Add cream and continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half and corn is tender. (He mentioned you could add wine, butter or chicken stock if you'd like here, as well.) Add green onion, and remove from heat.

He suggests if you're not making it for this specific dish, add bacon. I approve of that.

Then we have the Pan Seared Atlantic Salmon with Sauteed Cream Corn, Manila Clams, Arugula, Frisee, Onions and Fennel. It serves 4 with this recipe. You need:
+ 12 to 16 Manila clams (don't use mussels!)
+ 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
+ 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
+ 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
+ 1 cup white wine
+ 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
+ Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
+ 4 skin-on salmon fillets around 5 ounces each (he said most other fish will work, especially those similar to salmon in texture- you don't want one too meaty or too flaky)
+ 2 cups white onion, thinly sliced
+ 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
+ 4 cups arugula
+ 1 head frisee
+ 2 tablespoons lemon juice
+ 2 tablespoons olive oil
+ 1/2 cup crispy bacon
+ The sauteed cream corn from above

The Making Of:
1. Scrub the outside of the clam shells and rinse with water until free of sand.
2. In a steamer pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high. Add shallots and garlic and saute until soft.
3. Add white wine, pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Bring to a slow boil.
4. Add clams and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Steam over low heat until clams open (about 5 to 10 minutes). Do not overcook, as clams become tough and rubbery; discard any clams that don't open. Set the clam mixture aside.
5. Pat the fish dry and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Arrange the fish skin side down in the pan. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Flip the fillets and cook until the fish is cooked through (an additional 2 to 3 minutes).
7. With a fish spatula, transfer the fish to a serving platter or plates. Surround with clams.
8. Toss sliced onions, fennel, arugula, frisee and bacon with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper (to taste). Add to plate with sauteed cream corn.

The way it was presented to us was the creamed corn on the very bottom, then the salmon on that, then the greens on top of that with the clams up there with them. It was best when you got a mouthful of basically everything at once, though.

Anyway, it was all very good. If you make it, let me know how it turned out!

I'm going to start the Tokyo Dining review, but I probably won't post it till tomorrow. Long meal is long!

So stuff has been happening. I've had time to goof off and answer questions in regular threads, but not to do a real food review. So, here's half of one. I honestly can't say when the second half will be out. Sometime soon, I hope.

TOKYO DINING UNAMI PAIRING

First, this is basically my favorite food and wine event. Strong recommendations, A+++, would eat again. It can fill up pretty quick, though not as quick as the Teppen Edo one. So if you want this event, you should make it a priority in booking. Just don't book it before I can; I'd be sad then. :(

We sat with an older couple and a younger couple, and really hit it off with the younger couple. They were great.

We started off with a beautiful tablesetting. We got to take the chopsticks and the holder, as well as one of the fancy cranes, home. I was very interested in what was going on with that odd black box on the table, but I would find out... soon enough. Dun dun.

We started off with our aperitif and appetizer. In Japan, before eating sushi, it's traditional to start with a beer, so there you go. This was the Sapporo Kuro Mana Beer, a 100% lager, and according to the presenter (which sadly wasn't our pal Garin this year- he'd moved on to Morimotos) we were the first people in the United States to try this beer. Even now, I think there are only five reviews for it on Untapped, and Untapped hasn't filled in the full information. Mom, um, drank quite a few of these (four, five?). I found it bitter, but I found all beer bitter back then.

The little appetizer was miso marinated 'Japanese cheese' (if they explained what exactly that meant besides 'cheese made in Japan', I didn't catch it) with anchovy on it (and, obviously, a tomato). It was a very light appetizer, but very tasty. I could have eaten a much bigger piece.

First course was sushi. I think you see in the front the Wagyu and Bluefin Toro Nigiri Sushi- wagyu on the left, bluefin on the right. Behind it, there's a wagyu with sea urchin roll, a yuzu cured madai roll, and then a natto (fermented soybeans, a popular Japanese breakfast) and toro roll. I believe the sauce on the side was pickled plum. I honestly can't promise I have any of those right, though.

What I do know that I have right is that all of them are very interesting. The rolls were very plain compared to what USA'ers might be used to: Japanese rolls generally only feature one ingredient with the rice and seaweed to make that ingredient the star of the show. I had never even tried natto before, which according to my Japanese friends is a complete love it or hate it type of thing (one of them loves it, two of them hate it and won't touch it if you pay them): I actually thought it was sort of tasty. I was interested in the using Wagyu as sushi concept as well: I don't think I've ever seen that done before. The sushi was very good and rather unique, and I really wish Tokyo Dining served more stuff like this.

First course sake was Junmai Dai Ginjyo Hanaabi, which was a very smooth and lightly dry sake. A bit of salt was added to the edge of our wooden cups, which was a way of drinking sake I'd never heard of before (not that I'm a sake expert, I just pretend to be one on the Dis boards). It paired well with the sushi, but drinking it was something of a challenge- you wanted to get a little bit of salt, but not a full mouthful. I find these boxes incredibly fun to drink out of, personally, but some people were spilling. It takes a bit of practice, I think.

The second sake, served in the wine glass, was Tokubetsu Junmai Suigei. Made from pure spring water, this one I thought was a lot dryer, but had some definite fruity notes (we had a long conversation on whether or not it tasted more berry like or more pineapple like). Again, I enjoyed it.

The first half of the second course is also visible. Seared wagyu (tataki) and yuba roll salad with kanzuri yogurt dressing. First, this wagyu was very, very rare- one of our tablemates actually sent it back asking if his could be put on the grill for a bit as it was too rare for him (I don't mind it, but I'd just eaten Wagyu sushi). Second, it was wrapped in 'tofu skin', which is the film that one gets when one boils soy milk, which was also something I had never tried before. Third, the salad was mind blowingly excellent. Perfect in every way. Best salad at Disney.

The second half of the second course was this guy. 'Live Main Lobster in Miso Broth'. Not actually alive, rest assured. He was already broken pretty well so the meaty parts were easy to get too, and he sat in that black bowl I had been wondering about before.

What was kind of weird about this was we weren't given small forks (or any forks, for that matter). We were encouraged to eat with our hands. This was... let's just call it a bit messy. I can imagine that people who really dress up for these events might be a bit shocked, but everyone was in park/resort casual at best, so it wasn't too bad. Just messy. Ignoring that, the lobster itself was great, and the broth was very flavorful. Proof you don't need to go creamy with lobster, in my opinion.

That's half the meal: there was then an intermezzo, a third course, and a dessert. I'll be reporting on them at a later time.

Anyway, it was all very good. If you make it, let me know how it turned out!

I'm tempted to make this when the fresh corn hits the markets this summer. Nothing like fresh corn from a farm market!

First, this is basically my favorite food and wine event. Strong recommendations, A+++, would eat again. It can fill up pretty quick, though not as quick as the Teppen Edo one. So if you want this event, you should make it a priority in booking. Just don't book it before I can; I'd be sad then

She was supposed to tell you it was horrible and don't book it! We have attended this event for the past, maybe five or six years? We always love it. When the cost went up significantly, we were a bit fearful, but they upped their game to match the cost.

Mom, um, drank quite a few of these (four, five?).

Simply for research. And some people shouldn't point out the number of drinks other people drank. Particularly if it is the proverbial "pot calling the kettle black."

The sushi was very good and rather unique, and I really wish Tokyo Dining served more stuff like this.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could go in there any given day and find even one or two "special" rolls like these available?

I'm enjoying your reviews so many unique experiencees!!!

We like to have fun and try different things! Thanks for reading along.

I'm enjoying your report and glad you decided to write it! That lobster looks yummy!

Mom says I should quote people in a separate post then my actual food report, so I'm trying that. Also, I got an avatar! He likes eating pages. Don't mind him.

I'm enjoying your reviews so many unique experiencees!!! :donald:

There really were a lot of unique experiences. I think that's the fun of Disney, though: we can try so many things that at least we can't get in our town. It's pretty great!

Simply for research. And some people shouldn't point out the number of drinks other people drank. Particularly if it is the proverbial "pot calling the kettle black."

Hey, I only had one beer, and I could barely finish it. Otherwise, I have no idea what you could be talking about. ^_^ Okay, maybe I do, but shh.

I'm enjoying your report and glad you decided to write it! That lobster looks yummy!

The lobster was great! They almost always serve a bit of lobster at this event, but this was the first time we basically got a whole lobster to eat. It was wonderful, and the miso sauce was so different then the butter I'm used to.

Thanks to both of you for replying! :)

Okay, here's the second half of the...

TOKYO DINING UNAMI FOOD PAIRING EXTRAVAGANZA

Or something like that.

The next course was a quick intermezzo: fresh orange drizzled with plum wine. There's not much to say about this: if you like orange and a bit of sweetness, this was your course. I like orange and sweetness, so I was happy with this. It was just a few refreshing bites and some time to talk to our table mates and the presenter as she walked around. This was not a very fast paced meal, which I liked: I never felt like we were being rushed, even though we were always the last table to get our food.

Know how I tattled on mom for drinking to much beer? Well, here's where she's going to tattle on me. This was a Mugi Shochu Martini (Ginza no Suzume), the shochu made with barley. And it was delicious. I may have drank more then I should have of these. They went down so smoothly and easy and they were absolutely wonderful. If Tokyo Dining serves them regularly, I may be in big trouble. Probably not, though. Usually the sake (and shochu) served at these events are just special for these events. But... I may have to go to Tokyo Dining and check it out. Just in case.

The first half of the third course: grilled black cod with saikyo miso sauce (a creamy sauce). And look: the sushi was great. The wagyu beef we had and would have again was great. The salad was excellent. The lobster was amazing. Yet somehow, this simple cod dish was my favorite course. Everything about it was perfect. I have *never* had cod done so well in my life. Nothing even close. I would even say cod isn't even usually on my radar as something I order: it just never seems to impress. But this was perfect cod. I was in love. It's sort of amazing what grabs you, isn't it?

That's not to say this stuff is bad. No, sir or ma'am. Not at all.

Wagyu Sirloin Steak with black balsamic vineger and manuka honey sauce, with wasabi on top and an edible cucumber flower. This was like the rest of the meal: amazing. The sauce was particularly nice, being surprisingly sweet but still going wonderfully with the wagyu and wasabi. Not much to say besides I enjoyed it.

Finally, a scoop of vanilla ice cream infused with cognac and a scoop of chocolate ice cream infused with whiskey and a caramel flavored baumkuchen (roll cake). We were given a bit of a fruit sauce (I can't remember what fruit- I have a feeling it was apricot) to pour over the ice cream (or eat on its own) that really added flavor. This was a simple dessert, but a nice one. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get a dessert drink with it, but I was just being greedy at that point. The meal was definitely worth the 100 and something dollar price point.

All in all, I can't recommend the Tokyo Dining event enough. The joke is I'm supposed to tell everyone it's horrible so we can make sure we get it again last year, but it really is wonderful. I mean, come on, wagyu beef at every course! What more could you want? (Well, unless you're vegetarian. Though I'm sure they'd come up with something wonderful all the same.) This meal was lovely, and they even gave us an extra beer and martini at the end to take with us as thanks.

All in all, it was probably the best meal we'd had at a Tokyo Dining event, and we've enjoyed everyone we've went to. We'll most certainly be back.

Next: a flatbread.

Also, I got an avatar! He likes eating pages. Don't mind him.

Someone might have hacked Mikka's account and added the avatar. :smooth:

Know how I tattled on mom for drinking to much beer? Well, here's where she's going to tattle on me.

Would I do that? :drinking:

But this was perfect cod. I was in love.

Amazing. I generally think of cod as something used in fish sticks or dried in Norway. But this was a wonderful fish dish.

Wagyu Sirloin Steak with black balsamic vineger and manuka honey sauce, with wasabi on top and an edible cucumber flower.

Another wonderful dish. How much Wagyu did they give us?

The joke is I'm supposed to tell everyone it's horrible so we can make sure we get it again last year, but it really is wonderful. I mean, come on, wagyu beef at every course!

:rolleyes: It's not a joke. It a horrible event. You don't want to book it.
Particularly if you are going towards the end of the Food and Wine Festival. :laughing:

Everyone, where did you go? Like Stitch feasts on broken pages, so do I feast on comments!

Okay, maybe not. Here's a quick review, though, as I'm falling behind.

POP'S COUNTER SERVICE

I actually don't remember the name of this place. My bad. Anyway, you wouldn't think we'd need food after that huge meal, but after staying up to watch Illuminations, we did want something small to snack on. A shared counter service meal sounded perfect.

We got the Buffalo Chicken Flatbread, which was... basically exactly what you expect. I think Disney tends to do flatbreads very well (especially in comparison with their counter service pizzas of ughness), and this one was perfectly serviceable. We had better flatbreads throughout the trip, but there was nothing wrong with this one, and we both enjoyed it.

As they were making the flatbreads from scratch and there was a bit of a wait, mom somehow managed to talk the chef in to giving us and the two other people in line for them free potato chips. I have no idea how she does that. The chips were fresh and great. We really ended up enjoying those chips the few times we had them over our trip. Very tasty. We even took some home with us. I want to drool just thinking about them. I don't know if they were at Pop and Landscapes of Flavors only, or if they're served around property, but they're superb.

Next: Landscapes of Flavors and a lazy day... until the end.

Like Stitch feasts on broken pages, so do I feast on comments!

Yes, she does. Please join me in nagging Mikka to make posts and finish this review.

I actually don't remember the name of this place.

Everything POP! Duh!

mom somehow managed to talk the chef in to giving us and the two other people in line for them free potato chips. I have no idea how she does that.

My slightly obnoxious, but still charming personality. And I was hungry. And maybe I drank a bit too much.

Anyone counting? I think this was flatbread #2.

My slightly obnoxious, but still charming personality. And I was hungry. And maybe I drank a bit too much.

So if I become more obnoxious, I'll be able to talk people in to giving me free chips? Because I'm already charming, obviously. ^_^ (Your my mom, you can't argue with that.)

Yum! Disney does do flatbreads well. I love the one at the Mara!

Ooo, which one? Looking at the menu, it looks like the Mara has two. I really like the Mara, but we haven't been there in ages. One day I want to do an AKL day... go to Boma for breakfast, Sanna for lunch, Jiko for dinner, get a snack at the Mara, and look at animals all day. Of course, then I'd be broke.

STITCH!

Sadly, Stitch did not win the pumpkin contest. He was robbed.

We slept in, then walked across the path for an early lunch at...

LANDSCAPES OF FLAVORS

Look, real plates and silverware. Wow.

I had the Tandori chicken, which came with my choice of rice (this was multigrain) and naan bread and then a side- I had spinach and paneer cheese. The rice was actually quite dry and I mostly ignored it, but the chicken was very moist and tender. The bread and the spinach were the best parts, though: both were excellent. I was actually really impressed by the spinach, which was moist without being wilted. And the cheese is always a nice touch.

Mom had the steak and egg burger (which is also there for breakfast, by the way) which is basically a burger with a fried egg and bacon. Her words were that a fried egg can make even a counter service Disney patty good. She, however, preferred the chips to the fries by a ton, and did not like the coleslaw at all: she found it dry and 'gross'. Mom doesn't usually call food gross very often, so take that as you will.

Next: ice cream!

My favorite Disney dining reviewer is back! I'm enjoying reading all your mom's and your drinking and dining adventures. Notice which desccriptor I put first <3

I'm heading down to Orlando on Friday! Hurray for me! Please keep up the informative and very entertaining reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter