Reconsidering California Grill for Different Signature Restaurant?

ChefaStepha

Earning My Ears
On our last day in the parks, we have a 9:00 ADR for CG. I know we won't see the fireworks from our table since they'll probably start at 9:00, and we probably won't be seated until 9:15 or later. My concern is - I've read many reviews that CG is a long meal. It sometimes is 2 hours. I'd rather spend more time in the park, since it's our last day, but we need another signature restaurant that evening, because if I cancel this ADR I'll have 2 unused credits. So I want to get an ADR for another signature restaurant earlier.

Any advice for this conundrum? Where should I go? Should I leave it alone? I want us to have a great last meal in the world, so maybe I should just not use the other credit and go somewhere in MK that's just as good? HELP! BTW - Our last day is Jan. 1st.

do you plan on leaving early in the morning? I'd suggest using one credit for dinner and another for a breakfast of some sort.

A lot of the signature restaurants are quite long meals, part of the signature experience I guess. The reason CG can be long is because they will stop serving part of your meal to watch the fireworks. We had a 8.30/9pm meal and the fireworks were at 10 - they held dessert until we had watched the fireworks - we ordered before they started but then they knew we were watching the display and didn't bring the dessert til right after they finished.

cg can be long if they hold food back till after the fireworks, but if u get there for 9 then u will be able to see them without the crowds in the parks, and then have the rest of your evening to enjoy ur meal. we spent our last night there and it was fab! i think that would be the easiest and quickest if u plan on spendin that day in mk, if u were going to ak then jikos might be a good choice or if ur in epcot, yachtsman steakhouse is another fave!

If you don't like long, leisurely meals, I would avoid signature restaurants. That's the type of meal that they are designed for. Can you fit in a dinner show like the Hoop-De-Doo earlier in your trip in place of an ADR you already have? That might be more up your alley.

If you don't like long, leisurely meals, I would avoid signature restaurants. That's the type of meal that they are designed for. Can you fit in a dinner show like the Hoop-De-Doo earlier in your trip in place of an ADR you already have? That might be more up your alley.

I do like those kind of meals but do you think we'll have enough time to return to MK after dinner and have one last look around all the shops and stuff?

I do like those kind of meals but do you think we'll have enough time to return to MK after dinner and have one last look around all the shops and stuff?

I was told to tell them you like to be a certain place at a certain time and they work with you. You tell your waiter as soon as he/she comes up to you. We did this at V & A back in April so we can make our wishes cruise. It all worked out perfect. Not rushed at all. It was timed perfectly!
Have a nice trip!

But your subject you said that you wanted to trade CG for another signature restaurant. :confused3 Wouldn't you still have the same problem with time?

But your subject you said that you wanted to trade CG for another signature restaurant. :confused3 Wouldn't you still have the same problem with time?

I don't know; I think I'm just overthinking it and confusing myself. I think I'm just gonna leave this thing alone and play it by ear. ;)

It's hard to change a CG reservation at this point, but they might have some 5:30 or so seatings left. You could eat, then spend some park time at MK on your last night.

Is Citrico's a 2 credit TS meal? It isn't mentioned as much as other restaurants, so you may be able to make 5:30pm reservations, and get back into the MK by 8pm. Even if it isn't, it is as good as some of the the other 2 credit restaurants, so I wouldn't feel like I was "wasting" a credit.

I understand exactly. After a 2 hour meal at Yachtsman and a two and a half hour meal at California Grill (both of which were great meals by the way) I opted to change my reservation for Jiko to Hollywood Brown Derby because I was afraid we would miss Fantasmic. The meal at Hollywood Brown Derby was considerably quicker but not nearly as good as the other Signature meals we had. On the plus side we got greatv seats at Fantasmic and even managed to catch the Muppet 3d movie beforehand. I do wish I had gotten to try Jiko but I don't regret the decision.

It can be a long meal, but so well worth it. We had dinner there last year and it was hands down the best meal that we have ever had at Disney. We've eaten at several other signature restaurants and we were just so impressed by the service, food and the view. I would stick with it, what a way to end your trip. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!