• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent visit and nighttime spectaculars

shosh1530

DIS Veteran
I'll probably get around to writing a full trip report at some point, but want to share some random thoughts from our trip this week. My kid and I were in the parks Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (May 31-June 2), with our main goal to see all the nighttime shows/parades.

Crowds: I was prepared for the worst (all three days had been sold out before we left and first two days were grad nights) and was pleasantly surprised when things didn't feel nearly as bad as I expected. We didn't rope drop, but mornings were particularly nice. We didn't get to the parks until 11 our first day and were still able to walk on for some things like Autopia with a 5 minute wait. At 1 pm, there was huge stream of park hopping from DCA and things started to feel busy (our cue to take a hotel break). Crowds definitely peaked by evening with all the nighttime shows happening. I felt like a lot of locals may have been coming to the parks just for that.

Ride wait times: We were using DAS, and while the lightning lanes sometimes looked really long, our wait times for those rides felt only slightly longer when we were there in January (generally 10-20 minutes). We were also able to do stand by for several rides with short waits (5-15 minutes) in the mornings (most of Pixar Pier, Cars Land, Fantasy Land)

Rides going down: DCA was a bit of different story with RSR down all three days we were there – stand by times on the app were definitely higher over there. Toy Story went down on us twice when we showed up for our DAS return time, which was a bummer. At one point RSR, Incredicoaster, and Toy Story were all down at the same time and that was a little crazy. Rise also kept going down each time we tried to ride, but we eventually got on. Same with Indy (but I always expect that with Indy). CM members kept telling us that our DAS should automatically turn into a multiple experience pass, but that didn't seem to usually happen (did work once for Indy). But we were able to go to Guest Services and they issued us the pass.

Food: Not sure why, but I felt like I had much better food experiences this time (perhaps DS was willing to branch out a bit more). We only had sit-down reservations for dining packages and Storytellers breakfast (was nice to interact/hug the characters!). We did mobile order for almost everything else. I'm a vegetarian and on my previous trips I've gotten a bit tired of all the impossible meats, but this trip I did love some of the different combinations. Loved both the Bahn Mi at Lucky Fortune Cookery and the new BBQ plant-based burger at Paradise Gardens. We also went to Docking Bay for the first time and I enjoyed the Felucian hummus dish (and was amazed my child actually ate the Bao veggie burger kid meal). We also enjoyed the veggie gumbo break bowls at Harbor Galley.

Fantasmic Dining Package: We did the premium package at RBT and had a fabulous time (you can read my full review). Highlight of the trip for me. Enjoyed the view for Fantasmic (kid's first time) and I even teared up at certain points. The food was good (but I already like RBT). We stayed afterwards to watch the fireworks. While I was happy to see them, our view was obscured by a tree and it was hard to take in both the projections and the fireworks at the same time (lots of turning your head back and forth).

WOC Dessert Party: This was super fun, although I enjoyed the Fantasmic package more (my son thought this was better, I'm guessing because dessert is his favorite meal). We lined up around 7:35 (8:45 pm showing) and were able to get a tall table. We were seated just after 8 and quickly got our desserts and then drinks. We shared a table with a couple and they were gracious with my very talkative kid. The CMs checked on us several times and offered to take our photos. I had never seen WOC before and loved it! I would do this package again, although I wish they offered some dairy-free dessert options (I didn't opt for the fruit plate and ended up with a tummy-ache from eating the yummy cheesecake).

MSEP Dining Package: A lot of folks have commented here that this package isn't really necessary and I agree. But my son really wanted to eat at the Plaza Inn anyway and I didn't want to keep him up super late to do second show. I was pleased that they were at least able to give us a vegetarian options (penne pasta with marinara) and my son thought it was very good (for me it was pretty plain). The cheesecake dessert was very, very yummy. We didn't get over to the viewing area until 8:15 and even as we were walking down Main Street I saw a few places we could have gotten a good view to watch from. There were probably a few dozen people already in the viewing area (despite me being told they wouldn't let people in until 8:15). We were still able to get a spot directly behind the people sitting on the curb. Even by 8:45 or a few minutes after, one could still get a good spot in the designated area (this was a Thursday, maybe other nights are more crowded). The parade itself was wonderful (our first time) and we had a great view!

Cast members: I've read a lot of reports about surly, unhelpful, or not well-trained cast members, but that was far from my experience this trip. Almost everyone we interacted with was cheerful and helpful. Things didn't feel as stretched thin as when we went in January/last summer.

Characters: This was our first trip since characters can now interact with guests. But my son isn't really keen to wait in line to see a character, so I missed seeing them up high and easy to spot. Still it was fun seeing the little ones getting hugs. We did get pictures with Winnie the Pooh and Scarlet Witch and got to see Captain Phasma in Tomorrow Land. We never ran into Boba Fett in Galaxy's Edge though.

Hotel: We switched to the Grand Californian from the Disneyland Hotel at the last minute since it wasn't much more with our Disney Visa discount. We had a lovely stay and enjoyed the pool every day. Our courtyard room was very quiet and we used the online check in and room key via the app. Daily housekeeping and room service were both back (and the robes in the rooms).

Fun: We had such a lovely, magical time. My son's goal was to ride all the things he hadn't ridden before so we had a lot of firsts for him including Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the Davy Crocket canoes (plus many more). I loved hearing him laugh at all the jokes from our guides on the canoes and Jungle Cruise. Seeing all the nighttime shows was super special and I am so glad they are back. The only real bummer on the trip was having to come home.

Thanks for the great trip report write up. I'll be there in just over 3 weeks. I wish the RBT standard package was a guaranteed reservation like the premium one is. I would definitely book it if that was a possibility. I'm afraid of making an early dinner reservation and asking for the dining package upgrade and it being sold out. I ended up doing Hungry Bear to go since its an actual dining package reservation.

I'm so happy to hear a positive report! I was getting nervous for our upcoming November trip. As everyone knows here, Disneyland isn't cheap, so I've been worried about going and having a subpar experience. Sounds like there is still magic to be had! Glad you two had a wonderful time!

Great trip report! My DH and I were just there for 3 days Memorial weekend and had a great time as well. We saw all the night shows also and wished we could have gotten the river belle premium but we got the standard package. We noticed more crowds on Memorial day and in the evenings, but still got to do a lot! Glad you had a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter