Recent cruises with food allergies?

seasalt81

Mouseketeer
We are cruising soon with someone with multiple anaphylactic food allergies. It seems based on some recent videos that special diet offerings are much more limited than they were pre-pandemic (including no allergy friendly waffles/pancakes even in the main dining roomđź‘Ž). I called the special diets line but it wasn't much help.

Anyone have any recent experiences they can share?

Our October cruise was cancelled, so I can't share any recent information . . . BUT
My DW has many food restrictions and allergies.
And one of the many reasons we love DCL is not what particular food item they offer in what restaurant . .

It is the very-high culture-of-care that includes the Servers-HeadWaiter and yes, the Chef's who meet with her, listen to her requirements, and then take significant time the first evening and often, subsequent evenings to make sure my wife's needs are met.
I am amazed and grateful.
We go over the next night's menu after dessert and plan/research what is safe for her.
If they don't have this, they will make that . . . in a way that won't make my wife sick.
(and she is very cautious and keeps to basics for breakfast & lunch).

Two RCCL cruises == two times she had to go to the bathroom (for a lot of the evening)
In 14+ DCL cruises (many long ones) -- one unfortunate incident that might have been her fault.

I would still bring the Epi-Pen but mostly, don't be afraid to speak up and make sure each server knows what your traveling companion needs.
And if/when you have a great cruise, throw a little/lot extra in the gratuity bucket because that extra care is what makes the cruise so valuable and enjoyable.

Last edited:
My DH has many food restrictions and allergies.
And one of the many reasons we love DCL is not what particular food item they offer in what restaurant . .

It is the very-high culture-of-care that includes the Servers-HeadWaiter and yes, the Chef's who meet with her, listen to her requirements, and then take significant time the first evening and often, subsequent evenings to make sure my wife's needs are met.
Thanks for sharing your experience! For sure, this is what we most appreciate about Disney in general and why we go to the parks - because of the care they take with food allergies. It's the only place my daughter has ever been able to eat in a restaurant and we're incredibly grateful. We'd heard the same about DCL, which is why we decided to give it a try (after a very bad experience on NCL resulting in a full blown anaphylactic reaction).

My concern is for the availability of options post-pandemic based on a few videos we've watched. It seems they are having supply chain issues which has left them with fewer allergy-safe ingredients. My daughter is happy to eat meat, veggies, and rice for lunch and dinner, so that's not my concern. But due to her dairy, egg, nut, and wheat allergies, breakfast is really tricky, which is why I specifically mentioned the allergy safe waffles that are typically a Disney staple. They apparently do have frozen waffles, but with back to back cruises in Concierge, those will be some very expensive frozen waffles! lol

I do absolutely appreciate the care Disney takes with allergies and that is indeed why we are giving cruising another try at all. I'm just curious about whether what you describe and what we're used to at the parks -- the ability to improvise and make allergy safe foods to suit needs and taste -- has been compromised post-pandemic with the apparent supply issues they are having.

I am happy to hear that you have been able to speak directly with a chef. A recent video I watched seemed to indicate that wasn't' the case and I was a bit concerned. We have been expecting an allergy experience similar to what we get in the parks and I just want to adjust my expectations and what food I will bring on board for her if that's not possible right now.

I had gluten free Mickey waffles for breakfast in the dining room. Had to arrange it through our server the night before.

I had gluten free Mickey waffles for breakfast in the dining room. Had to arrange it through our server the night before.
Oooh! Was it recently? This would make my daughter's day. I wonder if it's cruise by cruise? I asked the woman who posted the video and she said she was told there wasn't allergy friendly waffle mix on board at all for her cruise.

It was the 8/23 Dream cruise.

Excellent thanks! Apparently they were told, the "supply chain issues" are dependent on the week of your cruise. Interesting. We'll keep our fingers crossed!

I know things like Mickey waffles probably seem like such a minor thing to most people, but to a kiddo with multiple food allergies who is so limited to begin with, things like that are so special to her.

Well, GF Mickey waffles can be a treat for some old folks too! I hope you get them!

For the OP and others who read this... even pre-pandemic, the allergy-friendly Mickey waffles were something best pre-ordered the night before via your dining team. On our last two sailings [most recent Dec 2019] we were explicitly told if we wanted allergy Mickey Waffles they had to be pre-ordered, and they were not available at all on the final morning.

SW

Thanks for sharing your experience! For sure, this is what we most appreciate about Disney in general and why we go to the parks - because of the care they take with food allergies. It's the only place my daughter has ever been able to eat in a restaurant and we're incredibly grateful. We'd heard the same about DCL, which is why we decided to give it a try (after a very bad experience on NCL resulting in a full blown anaphylactic reaction).

My concern is for the availability of options post-pandemic based on a few videos we've watched. It seems they are having supply chain issues which has left them with fewer allergy-safe ingredients. My daughter is happy to eat meat, veggies, and rice for lunch and dinner, so that's not my concern. But due to her dairy, egg, nut, and wheat allergies, breakfast is really tricky, which is why I specifically mentioned the allergy safe waffles that are typically a Disney staple. They apparently do have frozen waffles, but with back to back cruises in Concierge, those will be some very expensive frozen waffles! lol

I do absolutely appreciate the care Disney takes with allergies and that is indeed why we are giving cruising another try at all. I'm just curious about whether what you describe and what we're used to at the parks -- the ability to improvise and make allergy safe foods to suit needs and taste -- has been compromised post-pandemic with the apparent supply issues they are having.

I am happy to hear that you have been able to speak directly with a chef. A recent video I watched seemed to indicate that wasn't' the case and I was a bit concerned. We have been expecting an allergy experience similar to what we get in the parks and I just want to adjust my expectations and what food I will bring on board for her if that's not possible right now.

I cannot speak to the pandemic version of DCL as we have not sailed since December 2019, but I will offer a few comments about the pre-pandemic DCL.

If you search my previous posts you will see a number about sailing on DCL with food allergies. One of the main reasons we sail exclusively with DCL {aside form liking Disney!] is because of how well they deal with food allergies - they set the gold standard. I have anaphylaxsis allergies to milk, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood. I also have sensitivities to a number of other foods.

We contact DCL special services well in advance of our cruise and make sure they are aware of our allergies [see https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...ties/?int_cmp=INS-intDCLtoDCL-SpecialServices and https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/ ]. We also request a private table for our party [we can't have anyone having seafood at our table due to airborne allergy, so sharing a table is not an option // during the pandemic they give private tables anyway, but I would still make the request if that is what you want].

Once we board the ship, we follow the instructions in the Navigator/MDE app for dining changes and go to that location to meet with a Head Server from the Dining Services team. We ensure they have our allergies noted properly. Usually, they will have us pre-order dinner that night, but sometimes they ask us to do that when we have lunch that day in the MDR.

That first day, we have lunch in the MDR that is open for lunch. If we have not already done it, we tell our server we need to pre-order dinner for that night - they will get a Head Server to help us do that.

At dinner, you will meet your dining team. Your Server and Head Server will be instrumental in dealing with the food allergies and food allergy/special diet orders. Depending on how the team works it, either the Server or the Head Server will take the order, but regardless of who does, the Head Server is the one who approves it.

I don't know if they are using the same forms or if they have gone electronic, but pre-pandemic they ere using a carbonless multipart form for placing the allergy orders. The form is filled out by the server or head server when they take your order. It has space for your name, room number, allergies, the order, and other info. The head server has to sign off on it - so there is a "check" process. One of the pink copies goes to the kitchen for the chef who will prepare the meal; not sure where the rest of the copies end up ;-) All special dietary need meal orders go on these forms, whether places in an MDR, at cabanas, or out on the pool deck quick service restaurants. I have had them read me the form to check it is correct, and I have had them show it to me to have me read it and check before the order is considered "placed".

So, at dinner, at the end of the meal you will go over the menu for the next night's dinner. When they had paper menus, they woudl bring you the menu. Now with electronic menus you can look it up in the app. For our December 2019 B2B2B cruise we actually found it a great time saver to check the menu during the day and decide what we were pretty sure we wanted, then at the dinner it was a matter of talking with our server/head server and confirming our choices, vs having to read and decide and then discuss and confirm -- saved a good chunk of time having done the reading and deciding already :-)

So you have a conversation with you server or head server about what you woudl like for dinner the next night. How things can be adapted to be safe, preferences, mixing and matching things, etc. Then order.

We were also strongly encouraged to pre-order breakfast and lunch for the next day. Our servers told us where they would be working but we did not have to choose the same restaurants (although we usually did - it is much easier/smoother when you do, IME, especially if there ends up being any issue, like the pre-order form going missing...).

We have had many great meals and always been happy with our food. Except for Wafflegate - a sad cruise on the Fantasy when for some reason the allergy waffles just... well, the batter would not cook properly no matter how hard they tried, and let me tell you, they tried and tried and tried... it became quite a thing , with our Head Server and a senior chef involved and everything. But that was a weird anomoly among the 8 cruises we have taken. All the other times, great Mickey Waffles and great other food :-)

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions !

SW

I highly recommend these recent videos by the Gluten Free & Dairy Free at WDW vlogger, who just sailed on the Disney Dream:

Disney Dream Bahamas Cruise August 2021 🚢 | Day One - Embarkation

Disney Dream Bahamas Cruise August 2021 🚢 | Day Two - Day at Sea & Palo Brunch

(there may be additional days put up or will be in the future)

Sarah is GF and limits dairy, and her husband has multiple allergies/sensitivities. They also have videos from previous sailings with DCL [pre-pandemic] which you may find informative.

If you watch the videos on Youtube, they have notes for both including list of allergies.

SW

Another note...

We haven't spoken to chefs in the MDRs, our server or head server has been the gatekeeper there. However, there have been times in the MDR when the server or head server has come to me with a question from the chef or brought the package of something (eg Namaste chocolate cake mix; Earth Balance margarine) to have me read the ingredients and confirm it was safe.

In Cabanas or at a pool deck quick service restaurant when we have placed an ad hoc order [as opposed to pre-ordering], there have been times when the CM has gotten us a chef to place the order with. Usually however, in those locations the order is placed with a Head Server working that area. Either way, let a CM working that area know that you have food allergies and would like to speak with someone to place a food order; they should get you who you need to talk with.

SW

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions !

SW

Thanks so much for all of the info! I’ve done a ton of reading, calling DCL etc, and felt well prepared but the additional details you provided were definitely helpful! I’m hoping this is all very similar post pandemic.

It was actually the videos you posted above that prompted this post, funny enough! I messaged a bit with Sarah and she was the one who shared that the allergy friendly offerings werent quite what they were used to due to supply issues and that there weren’t any allergy Mickey waffles at all on their cruise.

Thanks again for the info!!

Thanks so much for all of the info! I’ve done a ton of reading, calling DCL etc, and felt well prepared but the additional details you provided were definitely helpful! I’m hoping this is all very similar post pandemic.

It was actually the videos you posted above that prompted this post, funny enough! I messaged a bit with Sarah and she was the one who shared that the allergy friendly offerings werent quite what they were used to due to supply issues and that there weren’t any allergy Mickey waffles at all on their cruise.

Thanks again for the info!!

Glad the info helped.

Just watched the 3rd video in that series. Breakfast included allergy-friendly from frozen Van's GF waffles.

SW

For me, the key take-away is not the particular server or CM, or the current supply chain or available ingredients, or whether one ends up talking to the Chefs directly or not . . .It's the culture at Disney to ensure every-guest with an allergy has a satisfactory dining experience. IMO, not unlike the accommodations for disabled and/or larger-sized guests . . . every guest's experience is valuable and important. I think we've all seen this when CM's helps a family have a great time, even if/when their children are having some "issues".

And that's why I've been chirping in to this discussion . . . with all my wife's food allergies, she is kept safe and we still have a great dining experience in the MainDR's and yes, Paolo too. And that's why we keep booking on DCL!

So I just sailed on the Dream Sept 10-13. I and my friend Rachel have Celiac and I have a sensitivity to pork (can't process the fat and makes me very ill). We ate at AP on embarkation day. We had a dessert that day that was phenomenal. Usually, I end up with fruit as there isn't any other option but there was a chocolate mouse dessert that was sooooo good. Saturday, we at at Palo Brunch. We had plenty of food and ended up with the choice of the Panna Cotta or an Almond flour cake. We each got one and split them. They were both good. I was able to get GF Mickey waffles the next day for BF at RP, but of coarse not the last BF (those are the frozen Van's waffles - yuck!) For lunch on CC we both chose the Salmon which was good. Dinner on each night was good and there were many options. Since we pre-ordered, we were able to get many items on the menu that where not listed as GF modified to be GF. I only got french fries at the quick service (to soak up alcohol from tastings!) and we did go and get cups for ice cream. They has spoons available at the ice cream station but not the cups. I never went hungry and the food was very good at every meal. We did not eat at Cabanas this trip but when I was married, my husband preferred Cabanas for BF and I would send my pre-order up there and then just find a CM to have it filled and brought out to me pre-covid and pre-divorce!

I’ve just come off the dream and fantasy and they have been super adaptive to my many food restrictions. Our waiter has offered to have pre prepared meals for me at breakfast, lunch, and at castaway that would fit my dietary needs. They even prepared special off the menu meals for me at dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter