Rebooting Disney cartoons as live action films

I like them when they do a different take on it, like with Maleficent. I don't really see the point of doing the exact same movie with the exact same scenes and the exact same songs. I say change it up! Sure, they can throw in an homage or two, maybe have an instrumental of a key song, but don't make the exact same movie.

To a point I guess it's tolerable but they're overdoing it. I admit I loved the live-action version of the Jungle Book but thought Beauty and the Beast was only fair. The original Pete's Dragon was better than the remake as well. To remake/reboot (man I HATE that word!) movies to the extent that is planned is way too much. EVERY movie does not need a remake. As I said in another post, Disney has been a great innovator and they seem to be undoing all that with the remakes. And please, no more straight to DVD sequels! They all suffer in quality and decent storylines!

I liked the live action Jungle Book cause it tried doing something different and succeeded. The live action Beauty and the Beast was completely pointless.

Now that it seems that more and more films are getting this treatment, I'm getting tired and annoyed with the trend. The Lion King was the film of my childhood but I couldn't care less about the live action film coming up.

It's too bad Eisner did all those DVD sequels during his tenure. I do believe if not for that Bob Iger would be doing sequels to the older animated films instead of remakes and they would be of better quality.

To a point. As a poster mentioned above, The Jungle Book was great but Beauty and the Beast, so-so. I haven't seen Cinderella. Now if they do Peter Pan I hope that for once someone gets it right and has Peter at a younger age and NOT a teenager! The only time I've seen this was with a Russian version of Peter Pan. They had him at about 8-9 years old which would be much closer to the book. (The movie itself was horrible but Peter was great.)

However, I would much prefer the live-action reboots (God, I hate that word!) than the unfortunate, over-hyped and overdone Marvel and Star Wars franchises!

Nope, I don't like it at all. They are so out of ideas.

Right? I get that redoing the movies is their way of bringing back attention to the older movies, but there are better ways than remaking every single movie.

Just want to leave this Walt Disney quote here, too.
You hate to repeat yourself. I don't like to make sequels to my pictures. I like to take a new thing and develop something, a new concept.

There's such a plethora of options out there that it sometimes seems a shame to just 'reboot' and 're-imagine' the same stories. Folktales abound from all cultures so why not delve into that? I would personally love to see more stories from Greek mythology make their way to the big screen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts