Reasonable to walk Key West?

peg2001

<font color=FF6600>Can drive DH away with a banana
Is it reasonable for a family to walk from the ship through Key West to the Southernmost Point and back again, stopping at sights such as the butterfly exhibit and Hemingway house?

I can't get a good feeling for scale by looking at the tourist maps online.

Thanks,
Peg

You know I have read about people walking it but, it looked pretty far to me- especially if you are there during a hot time of year.
We walked a lot and were not close to that tip.

Is it reasonable for a family to walk from the ship through Key West to the Southernmost Point and back again, stopping at sights such as the butterfly exhibit and Hemingway house?

Thanks,
Peg

Yes!!! Key West is 2 miles by 4 miles.....Southernmost Point is about a mile or so from the ship. Beware....Key West in the summer is VERY HOT....this is another fun option with hop on and hop off points.

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/cruise-ships.asp

MJ

Yes!!! Key West is 2 miles by 4 miles.....Southernmost Point is about a mile from the ship. Beware....Key West in the summer is VERY HOT.

MJ

We did it the first time we were there and I totally agree, it was HOT and very humid. There are lots of spots along the way to shop and get in out of the heat. I would suggest that you might want to bring water with you - or plan to stop along the way.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I don't imagine that it ever gets cool in Key West but we'll be there in mid-Dec so I'm hoping it won't be too hot for walking.

Pegasus

There are also several places that you can rent golf carts to tool around in :thumbsup2

g4g.jpg

zue.jpg

rit.jpg

We just did Key West on our Western cruise in October. We walked to the Southernmost point and passed the Hemingway House on the way there and explored the downtown area on the way back. I think the Butterfly exhibit might be in the downtown area-not sure since we didn't go there. It was really hot and humid. If we had to do it again, we probably would have taken the trolley, etc. Our girls were miserable! But with that said, it was only about a 2 mile round trip. It can be done. Just take water and stop along the way to explore. Our girls were much happier walking around with ice cream to keep them cool!:goodvibes Oh and by the way, the frozen key lime pie is amazing!!!

We've walked Key West many times....It's a few miles like some of the previous posters mentioned, but when you are stopping at various shops, bars, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc., it breaks it up nicely.

We have also walked Key West---last August in the heat and humidity. Large bottles of water and in and out of shops help. My kids were 15 and 9 at the time.

We walk from the ship to Ft. Zachary Taylor Beach which was suppose to be a 10 minute walk, which turned out to be about 25minutes. It was long and hot and it was in April.

I would definitely take a trolley or rent the golf cart to get around Key West when it hot.

We were also there in June a few years back. We drove our car and walk about 5 blocks to the point, it was so hot....

Good Luck!!:cool1:

We walked Key West with our girls in strollers (they were probably 3 & 5 at the time). We walked all the way down to the Southernmost Point, nearby is the Butterfly Garden which was nice. We also stopped by the lighthouse and we all climbed to the top to see the view.

Yes, it's a couple of miles round trip. In the heat of the summer I probably would rent an electric car, but we went in October and in March and it wasn't too bad.

Thanks,
Peg

We did walk to the butterfly exibit and to the Southernmost point. It wasn't terrible. Make sure to have something cold though, it got pretty hot and we had to stop at a Wallgreens to buy bottled water. Hope this helps:thumbsup2

Sure you can walk it it looks future than it actualy is it is a nice walk with lots of small shops along the way

What we did in March, was buy the "on/off" Old Towne Trolley pass (online from them) and we got off at stop #10 (I think it was) and then we walked down. It was a great walk! Then once we were done with the photo op, we started walking back. Before we realized it, we were about back to the ship!

Yes, it is very walkable. :) We did it last July with our kids, 3 and 7 at the time, to the Southermost Point and back and we were all fine. Granted we live in Florida so we're used to the heat and humidity, but like others have posted, you'll be going into so many shops, etc. that you'll get plenty of AC breaks. If you can do WDW in the summertime, you can definitely do Key West. :thumbsup2 We had a blast. Now, if only I could move there...

Its a mile or a bit more each way. We are from northern New Mexico near the Colorado boarder and for us, the heat was too much to handle. There is no way that we could have walked all the way down and back without majorly overheating.

We were there in October and took a trolley tour. The trolley lets you hop on and off wherever you want. The price was good, I paid for myself and my son was free. There were over a dozen different stops near just about everything you could possibly want to see. What I really enjoyed about the trolley is that all the driver we had were interesting storytellers and gave us great information about the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter