Reason to be fearful?

Tallent

DIS Veteran
Thinking of going tubing at CR in late June but keep thinking of alligators and falling off of the tube and in the lake......Has anyone done this? Do they talk to you about wildlife in the water, etc? I keep telling myself that they wouldn't offer it if it wasn't safe but after the GF incident last year I'm especially nervous.

You should not be worried about the wildlife in the seven seas lagoon while tubing, Disney takes animal control very seriously and will do everything that they can possibly do to ensure guest safety. I personally have not done this but I never worry about the water in Disney World. I would say you should go for it!

Last edited:

You should not be worried about the wildlife in the seven seas lagoon, Disney takes animal control very seriously and will do everything that they can possibly do to ensure guest safety. I personally have not done this but I never worry about the water in Disney World. I would say you should go for it!

Tell that to Lane Graves' family. I personally would not go in it, not only for wildlife but brain eating amoeba.

I know someone who got a serious infection in a cut on his leg when he ran into the water at the Contemporary to grab something that flew away. He ended up in ICU.

Tell that to Lane Graves' family. I personally would not go in it, not only for wildlife but brain eating amoeba.
I understand the concern of wildlife and I'm not saying that the water is the cleanest I just think that if you want to go tubing one incident should not stop you from going tubing and if by chance you fall in you wont be in the water for long. Disney would not allow guest to tube if the water was that bad. Yes there is a chance and what happened is tragic, however, if you want to go tubing one incident should not stop you.

Just me: No way would I ever do any activity that involves the distinct possibility of falling into a lagoon in alligator territory. Yes, it's a big lake with lots of water. Yes, nothing bad has ever happened before. Still, I wouldn't do it. I remember that on that dreadful night they pulled out a few alligators from the Seven Seas Lagoon, so while they "manage" the gators on property, they're still there.

Tubing? Ohhh...tell me more about that. Sounds interesting.

I have no concerns about going in the Lagoon. The alligator was a once in several decades accident, and I don't think the water is any "dirtier" than any other lake. I'd bet it's cleaner, frankly.

Tubing? Ohhh...tell me more about that. Sounds interesting.

I have no concerns about going in the Lagoon. The alligator was a once in several decades accident, and I don't think the water is any "dirtier" than any other lake. I'd bet it's cleaner, frankly.

I remember doing the knee ski attraction years ago in the Wet n Wild water park lake without even thinking about it,today I probably wouldn't do it,at least during the summer months.In the summer the water heats up and from all the articles I've read when it gets warm enough the brain eating amoeba is common in pretty much all the lakes and hot springs.Obviously its not common for people to get it but USF did a study which showed it is in there,its just more difficult to get.Between that and the Gators which are also moire active in the summer I'm just going to stick to the water parks,Volcano Bay is opening in Universal tomorrow,I'm certain there's no gators or bacteria in the water there.

There's just two very conflicting messages here. When the tragedy happened the boards were full of people saying "it's Florida! They should've know any body of water can be dangerous".
Now I'm seeing people saying "you should not be worried about wildlife in seven seas lagoon".
So which is it? I understand it was one incident in many many years. I understand that logically alligators won't approach you doing water sports as you're moving so quickly and noisily etc. But people criticised those parents for assuming that lake was safe, so shouldn't we be assuming it's not?

There's just two very conflicting messages here. When the tragedy happened the boards were full of people saying "it's Florida! They should've know any body of water can be dangerous".
Now I'm seeing people saying "you should not be worried about wildlife in seven seas lagoon".
So which is it? I understand it was one incident in many many years. I understand that logically alligators won't approach you doing water sports as you're moving so quickly and noisily etc. But people criticised those parents for assuming that lake was safe, so shouldn't we be assuming it's not?

I have no answers just ditto the confusion. When the alligator thing happened I was like wait a minute isn't that the same water they do water skiing in??? Confused.

I understand the concern of wildlife and I'm not saying that the water is the cleanest I just think that if you want to go tubing one incident should not stop you from going tubing and if by chance you fall in you wont be in the water for long. Disney would not allow guest to tube if the water was that bad. Yes there is a chance and what happened is tragic, however, if you want to go tubing one incident should not stop you.
@DebbieB is not talking about one incident only but rather about the safety across many factors
Didn't you state in another thread that you are 17? Maybe your youth explains your optimism. I am " old" and more seasoned and thinking in terms of several demonstrated risks.
I would hesitate

I think you have a calculated risk and I believe thats what people are saying. If you are in the water in Florida of course there is a risk and that's what people are referring to but, I personally believe that you should be safe 99.99% of the time.

I think you have a calculated risk and I believe thats what people are saying. If you are in the water in Florida of course there is a risk and that's what people are referring to but, I personally believe that you should be safe 99.99% of the time.
Why?

I'm just going to stick to the water parks,Volcano Bay is opening in Universal tomorrow,I'm certain there's no gators or bacteria in the water there.

Gators, no. I'd agree with you there. Bacteria...well, if it makes you feel more comfortable to say that there's no bacteria in water park water, great, but I'd be fairly certain you're incorrect.

So which is it?

I think there are still two schools of thought, just like there were then. Obviously, I'm in the camp that's not concerned about the gators (but that doesn't stop me from feeling horrible for that family, it was a tragic accident).

There is absolutely no way I would do it or allow my children to. If you are worried, you won't enjoy it. I would be a nervous wreck the entire time. Major conflicting messages from Disney imo about this body of water. Plenty of other fun things to do.

Years ago we went water skiing at the CR. We had no problems and had a great time and would do it again if we could. I would think if there were problems with the ameoba or aligators then Disney would stop these activities. Obviously you have to make your own decision as to what you feel is safe. Have a wonderful trip!

I know someone who got a serious infection in a cut on his leg when he ran into the water at the Contemporary to grab something that flew away. He ended up in ICU.

I agree completely. I would not go in it either for the reasons stated above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!