Ready to take the plunge into DVC

danielle5806

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone! After about 5 years of discussion, my husband and I have decided it will be financially beneficial ( in the long run, of course) to become DVC owners. As of late, AKL has been our family's favorite resort but DVC is only offering ownership at Poly and Aulani right now. Would it make sense to purchase the bulk of our points through resale then add on directly through DVC at a later date? Will we still receive the DVC "perks" if we go about it this way?

Would it make sense to purchase the bulk of our points through resale then add on directly through DVC at a later date?

If by "make sense" you mean "save a lot of cash," yes.

Will we still receive the DVC "perks" if we go about it this way?
The only perk with significant financial value right now is access to the AP Gold. Member events and discounts are fairly ephemeral. Top of the World Lounge is available on resale. As of right now, a 25-point add-on would qualify you for the AP Gold and member events; this could change. Of course, those discounts for direct buyers could go away too. Anything that is not directly a part of your real estate interest is subject to change. The only guarantee is your timeshare property interest.

AKV direct right now is $165 per point. A 100 point resale contract runs from $83-90, depending on seller and points available. The math is pretty compelling here on the savings on that contract vs. the "club benefits!!!" that aren't "booking a room."

Hey everyone! After about 5 years of discussion, my husband and I have decided it will be financially beneficial ( in the long run, of course) to become DVC owners. As of late, AKL has been our family's favorite resort but DVC is only offering ownership at Poly and Aulani right now. Would it make sense to purchase the bulk of our points through resale then add on directly through DVC at a later date? Will we still receive the DVC "perks" if we go about it this way?
Currently that will work but I'd go ahead and do so in case they change the rules later. It would not make sense to buy retail for AKV. You lose nothing of value going that route (resale + 25 retail) and even for those where the perks don't make sense now, it gives them options later. And if done as part of the up front planning, the extra cost is minimal. The exception would be for smaller contracts for some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter