"Ready Are You?" - Maintaining Rebel Challenge Legacy - A Continuous Journal - Update 5/29

I'm glad you took it easy but sad you're not at your full potential for W&D! You'll be ready for Rebel for sure! Yay to Disney in a few days! I'm sitting by the poly pool now! I ran this morning and Sunday when we got here.

October miles: 41 miles
2016 total miles: 357 miles

Smart to rest and heal. You'll come back stronger!! :yay:

Hopefully! This weekend was interesting - but I was smart to listen to my body rather than overdo it as well!

I'm glad you took it easy but sad you're not at your full potential for W&D! You'll be ready for Rebel for sure! Yay to Disney in a few days! I'm sitting by the poly pool now! I ran this morning and Sunday when we got here.

October miles: 41 miles
2016 total miles: 357 miles

Exactly. Rebel is the more important challenge since I have already completed it twice and want to maintain legacy there. I'll do the Remy 10K again next year and he'll do the challenge again.

Nice mileage for the year! My husband is at over a 1000 miles! Too bad we didn't run into you this week. Hope you had a great race!

Remy 10K

3:00AM comes early. My alarm went off and I got ready. What did I have for breakfast? Well, I broke rule #1 of running and had something different than my normal routine! I will tell you those 4 tiny donuts I had tasted really good that early in the morning.

E3BFYuz.jpg

We got on the first bus of the morning at 3:30AM and headed to EPCOT.

6mpaL9G.jpg

Aren’t we cute?

At the race start, we were sad to see that the line for the characters were super long :( so I took a creeper photo. We hung around talking to someone we knew.

dG6eea7.jpg

When the corrals opened, my husband and I parted ways and he went towards the front of his Corral (A because he’s fast) and I chatted with a friend for a bit before heading into Corral C. I started about a third of the way back from the front on the far right of the corral as I would be doing a 15 second run with a 30 second walk after the first wave rush dispersed enough to do so safely.

drTz5ZG.jpg

Start Line

As I had no training for the last 5 weeks, I was going to take this race rather slow - trying to run the first 5K of it and then pretty much walking the 2nd 5K of it. I mean, I’m slow but I’m never this slow! I also took time to get some non-blurry photos along the way!

cXVFzQi.jpg

Mile 1

POOHvqM.jpg

Mary Poppin’s Penguins!

rG4SMYs.jpg

Flik

9uDlgHL.jpg

Mile 2

XwsmYLH.jpg

Mile 3

After the 5K mark, you finally get into the backstage area of EPCOT and then you proceed to go through World Showcase and the Boardwalk! I slowed way down then.

kTizOs7.jpg

Stilt Guys

GFMP2WT.jpg

Inside EPCOT

kMzUbdN.jpg

y0Had06.jpg

Mile 4

LUUVbUG.jpg

Japan Selfie

Dw8vZa0.jpg

Genie

v50I02b.jpg

Boardwalk Selfie

GcnrxLt.jpg

Mile 5!

vxCSqGY.jpg

Character

8aVXLIr.jpg

Food & Wine Sign!

fVgDLd8.jpg

Mile 6

xeUm7Wh.jpg

Stilt Guys

1oImwl3.jpg

Finished!

V5Kgx5S.jpg

Worst 10K Time Ever!

So while this was my Personal Worse 10K, I'm actually 100% ok with it. I'm just happy I was able to finish it without hurting myself. Had I been trained, I would not be happy with that time but the situation was different than what I was originally planning on when I signed up for this race last March. It made for a totally different kind of mental experience - a good one at least. Without having ANY expectations, I was able to just enjoy the environment and entertainment and take the race for what it was. I'm planning on doing much better come January ;)

pkstcue.jpg

Bus!

I got on the bus and headed back to the Swan. Once I was back in the room, I opened the food box. I was so happy to see that the cheddar cheese dip was in there with the chips! After running (err….walking mostly) 6.2 miles! There is nothing that tastes better than salty processed cheddar cheese dip with chips. Then you follow it up with Oreos and I’m happy! I saved the protein bar for later and I knew my husband would eat the applesauce eventually!

9aDQFgS.jpg

Food Box!

Fed. I took a shower (because the Swan doesn’t have bathtubs now….grrr...neither of us were happy about that) and we relaxed (and took a 30 minute nap) until we decided to head to the parks!

Congrats on getting through the course without pain or worsening injury. The course looks much better than the half. I so wish I had signed up for the challenge!

Oh I'm pretty sure I saw your Boba Fett shirted husband before the 10k in corral A, I took a bunch of random photos I'll have to see if he shows up in any. Good job finishing it being hurt. Great stilt walker picture too!

Woohoooo, congrats on finishing the 10K safely!! :yay: Isn't the medal the best?!

Those chips are the best...super salty and they totally hit the spot. Add in the cheese?? Forget about it! :cloud9: I loved the Oreos and applesauce too...YUM.

Congrats on getting through the course without pain or worsening injury. The course looks much better than the half. I so wish I had signed up for the challenge!

Thank you! It is the exact same 10K course as Marathon Weekend and Princess Weekend except for the very last bit changed. Instead of going around where The Living Seas are - we went around the front.

Oh I'm pretty sure I saw your Boba Fett shirted husband before the 10k in corral A, I took a bunch of random photos I'll have to see if he shows up in any. Good job finishing it being hurt. Great stilt walker picture too!

That was probably him if you were towards the front part! He was in A for the 10K and B for the Half Marathon - wearing Boba Fett Shirts for both! (He decided against wearing his costume he had originally planned since not a lot of people had dressed up at the 10K) I do hate how he takes such wonderful race photos. Mine are never this good! He finished the 10K in about 55 minutes and 2:07 for the Half.

10K:
Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 6.03.34 PM.png

Half:
Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 6.06.27 PM.png

Woohoooo, congrats on finishing the 10K safely!! :yay: Isn't the medal the best?!

Those chips are the best...super salty and they totally hit the spot. Add in the cheese?? Forget about it! :cloud9: I loved the Oreos and applesauce too...YUM.

That is the medal I was most excited for this weekend! I'm happy I earned that one!

After 6 miles super salty and cheesy is totally what I need when I get back to the room! I usually just eat the banana and drink the powerade while I'm walking to the bus to make sure I'm fed - but once I'm cooled down - that makes me so happy! I only can eat applesauce when its super cold so I passed on it - my husband was happy to eat mine so I stole his Oreos. I think I got the better part of that deal.

Wine & Dine Half Marathon - Food & Race

2:30AM is a very early wake up call even if you get that extra hour of sleep! Don’t let anyone tell you any differently. I got ready. My breakfast was very similar to the day before. Powdered donuts are very tasty! I also grabbed the Clif Protein Bar - Mint Chocolate from the Box the day before so I could eat that when we arrived at the corrals. I decided to go with that one over the nut butter one given to us with our shirts since I knew the Mint Chocolate one was the safe choice as we buy those at home - my husband eats them for lunch sometimes and I’ve been known to eat them for a meal when in a hurry.

At the corrals, we took a selfie b/c that is what you do when you get to the Pre-Race area if you forget to do it on the bus!

pb1P9bs.jpg

Race Selfie!

We also realized that the lines for the characters were way better than the day before! This could be because it was 3:15AM and not a lot of people had arrived yet. We got in line for Remy! I also got a decent photo of Lumiere when we got to the front of the Remy line!

YtGWfcp.jpg

My Husband looks like he’s being pulled apart

9ukjwYg.jpg

We hung out for a while. At 4:15AM, he left me to head to his corral (B - b/c he’s fast) and I met with a group of friends I’ve met through the Disboards to get a group shot!

vIaMnDm.jpg

All the girls!

And then we all headed to our respective corrals. 3 of us were in the same corral so we headed to G together to chill towards the right side before it was on turn to start. For the initial corrals - they start off each of them pretty quickly! We were started before we knew it!

ZjQ1HSo.jpg

Fireworks

I started off with my easy-I-really-shouldn’t-be-doing-this Interval of 15/30 as we headed down out of the Wide World of Sports. The first mile went ok.

4yZwgvc.jpg

ESPN Sign

It was nice seeing the Country Bears out as I don’t recall having seen them before out on the course at least in the races I've done!

xAzSgiC.jpg

Country Bears

And I made it to Mile 1! Yay!

RT3KAmG.jpg

Mile 1

After Mile 1, I started getting a new pain. One I had never experienced before - a pain alongside the bottom right side of my arch of my right foot (the recently healed one) I was really happy to see the Medical Tent and decided to get some pain reliever and keep on going and hope it would go away. While I may not finish this race, I wanted to make it through Animal Kingdom at least and get some new photos! They mark your hand so people know if you had medicine or not later along the course...

DOZKwMH.jpg

Pain Medicine Time!

Not much else happened between Mile 1 and 2. I just kept to my right side of the road and kept moving along.

NsZqPuZ.jpg

Mile 2

After Mile 2, we got to see some Rave Dancers with whips and things. That didn’t excite me much as that was never really my scene.

0DU1yJ7.jpg

Dancers

I slowed way down as I approached Mile 3. I decided I would just walk from now on and enjoy the course. I would get however far I would get!

D010AD5.jpg

Mile 3

As I was walking towards Animal Kingdom in the parking lot, I apparently had a perfect ‘Dis_Yoda’ judgmental face moment as a runner pushed through myself and another runner on the far right side. Behind me, I hear a very familiar voice saying “There is that look I love” or something similar. I’m not sure exactly. I was happy to see it was @Tankgirl making those comments along with another person we know here from the Disboards who was also walking. @Tankgirl was actually trying to finish the race and the other one knew she wasn’t going to finish as she was already in pain. I told her my plan had now become - get through Animal Kingdom - visit Medical Tent. She liked that plan and hung around with me. After some amusing conversations I’m sure some other people hated (Underwear Selection or Non-Use while running, when your monthly cycle hits on a race weekend (here’s a hint - it sucks!), how during Light Side & Dark Side I text message @Tankgirl while I’m soaking in a bathtub full of Epsom Salts and that some people think that is odd) There were no children there around (you have to be at least 14 to run a half at Disney and a 14 year old is more than old enough for those conversations anyway) @Tankgirl left us and continued on her path to finishing the races! Go her!

I instead had conversations with the other friend and took photos like so...

RHHR98m.jpg

Animal Kingdom Arrival

bkiMNYO.jpg

Baloo

KGerViK.jpg

Tree of Life

M2WFCup.jpg

Thru Asia

cFBAUYo.jpg

Mile 4

UT46T3j.jpg

Stilt Walkers

fZzy31e.jpg

Mile 5

uSuTr3t.jpg

Train

While I had taken photos of characters, I hadn’t gotten in line for them as I didn’t feel the urge to. That opinion changed when I saw Meeko! His line was only about 6 people deep so we hopped in!

umP2D5F.jpg

Meeko Visit!

I didn’t take a picture with the topiaries as I remember when this was first used for the World Cup many years ago...

bo9G9U4.jpg

Repurposed Goofy

I know Mickey & Minnie have been around for awhile as well!

SdZ1OmI.jpg

Repurposed Mickey & Minnie

And I have better pictures of my playing with Chip & Dale when they were lonely in the EPCOT building during the rain so a driveby was fine for me!

5mRrYni.jpg

Chip & Dale

Now we were officially through all of Animal Kingdom and my body was telling me...YOU ARE STUPID! WHY DID YOU DO THIS CRAZY LADY?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?! I told my buddy with me this and she was feeling similar. My ‘good-recently healed’ right ankle felt like it hated me - my right knee wasn’t happy and my chronically ‘bad’ left ankle was slightly not happy. We knew the next medical tent had to be coming up as I had pulled up the course map on my phone and knew it was shortly after mile 6.

xT38U6o.jpg

Mile 6

I was very happy to see Mile 6. I was also happy to see that the 10K marker was at the edge of the turnaround point so it would be really easy for someone to pick out if someone was course-cutting by skipping this turnaround point on the course (about .6 miles of the course was an out and back) While we were at the end of the return part of the turn around towards the end of it, we saw the dreaded ‘balloon’ ladies (although they weren’t dreaded to me) and you could tell people were rushing by us to get way ahead of them. We also got to see what a hard sweep look likes as the people leaving the backroads of Animal Kingdom were getting hard swept into the buses at that time. We trudged ahead and made it to the medical tent and said - we couldn’t continue and needed ice! My right ankle was very very happy to get the ice on it when the medical person wrapped it up for me!

2eExXal.jpg

Ice Time!

I realized I didn’t stop my watch right away but here is what it was when I remembered to. If I thought my 10K time was my Worst Time Ever, pretty sure this has it beat!

AqbZzH4.jpg
6.39 miles at 19:36 pace
Half of a Half Marathon Finish Time

So we waited until we were picked up to be taken to the end. Since the sweepers were closing off the course at the end of Animal Kingdom, they thought it was wiser just to make our Medical Tent wait until that bus could take us along for the ride outside of those at the tent that needed more serious medical attention (like the poor lady that was passing out for dehydration and another whose body was going into a shock like state from being overheated + not having enough fuel in your system) I was fine with waiting. My husband had finished while I was sitting here - he finished at 2:07:22 - so better than Princess but his 2nd worst half time so he wasn’t happy. (His best half time is 2:01:05)

Being on the sweeper bus was an interesting time. There was the group of us from the medical tent (no, crazy woman, even if I had skipped the 10K yesterday, there was probably no way I could have finished today since I literally hadn’t trained in like 5 weeks!) and there was the group that got swept before Mile 6. Some of those individuals were obviously very upset and crying. Others were morose. Me? Well, I was that annoying, cheerful person. My friend and I were talking and being well happy. No point in being down on knowing when to quit in order to not hurt yourselves more. I took pride when I did make a sad person laugh (at my own idiocy but whatever) but I still think some people on that bus wished I would have shut up. Oh well!

We were taken to the finish line area - but post finish line area. If you ever been in the rundisney post race chutes - you’ve seen tents labeled things like “Tigger” and were like what are those? Well - the “Tigger” tent is the tent they put those individuals that didn’t finish the race through. You are given your half medal (not your challenge medal) along with your race food box and drinks and sent along the way. If you need minor medical attention, it is also there for you. Now you know!

I walked to my bus and took it back to the Swan. Someone on the bus stopped me when they saw me bib and told me I forgot my challenge medal and I told them, nope, couldn’t get one of those as I didn’t finish and again I got a strange look in return.

I’m happy I listened to my body and quit when I needed to quit. If I had kept pushing it - I would have ended up more injured and possibly out for more RunDisney races!

I got back to the room the earliest ever for a half! 8:15AM! I took my shower (I really wanted a tub though!) and settled in to enjoy my food box. Cheese & Chips and Oreos for me! It was then nap time as well for a little bit. You can’t go wrong with those items after a half of a half!

wmJOmD7.jpg

Food Box

The whip dancer people didn't make much sense to me either, there was a bunch of fog when I ran through and the lights going dance crazy, kind of like the disc tunnel at studios they did I suppose so maybe a play on that since we didn't do studios. Interesting on the Tigger Tent I had no idea on that. Heal up for Star Wars!

This post is like deja vu, but congrats to you and Mr Dis_Yoda. I love that you run together! I haven't convinced my husband....yet!

I was pleased with my first runDisney race and look forward to more. I had a plan for the half but quickly changed it. lol! I'm glad I did.

I was in Corral E all the way in the back right corner as I waited in the porta potty line til the last minute. "Nervous bladder!" Oddly, I wasn't that nervous. Any who...early on I was with the 2:15 pacers and decided to hang. I'm glad I did. I finished 2:16:09 pain free and shaved 20 mins off my first half in sept. I think I need the motivation of running in the "pack" if you will?! Idk? I'm still getting the hang of this running thing.

I hope this thread will keep me motivated through the winter and run a few races in the spring!! Hope to "run" into you sometime! Thanks for all your support and encouragement through the months!!!

IMG_4019.JPG

The whip dancer people didn't make much sense to me either, there was a bunch of fog when I ran through and the lights going dance crazy, kind of like the disc tunnel at studios they did I suppose so maybe a play on that since we didn't do studios. Interesting on the Tigger Tent I had no idea on that. Heal up for Star Wars!

Oh! I forgot about that disc tunnel! I remember that during Tower of Terror 10 Miler! I guess when you were running through it, it was still dark out so it made more sense with the fog and such! Probably a much better effect then!

I never knew what the Tigger Tent was either - I always wondered but now I know! Don't plan on visiting it again though!

I will be healed for Star Wars! Gotta maintain legacy!

This post is like deja vu, but congrats to you and Mr Dis_Yoda. I love that you run together! I haven't convinced my husband....yet!

I was pleased with my first runDisney race and look forward to more. I had a plan for the half but quickly changed it. lol! I'm glad I did.

I was in Corral E all the way in the back right corner as I waited in the porta potty line til the last minute. "Nervous bladder!" Oddly, I wasn't that nervous. Any who...early on I was with the 2:15 pacers and decided to hang. I'm glad I did. I finished 2:16:09 pain free and shaved 20 mins off my first half in sept. I think I need the motivation of running in the "pack" if you will?! Idk? I'm still getting the hang of this running thing.

I hope this thread will keep me motivated through the winter and run a few races in the spring!! Hope to "run" into you sometime! Thanks for all your support and encouragement through the months!!!

View attachment 206315

It was a dejavu! Figured it was smart to just post them both at the same time since it was the same! Maybe one day your husband will run with you - it works out well that we don't physically run together but just attend the runs together. If he's slower than you, oh well!

Eh, my husband is one that uses the Portapotties - i'm the queen of holding it although I didn't have to hold it but I was fine with just going in the room before we left and waiting until I got back. That is awesome you decided to stay with the pacers and were able to shave that much time off your first half time! Go you! I've tried to convince my husband he needs to run with the 2 hour pace group if he wants to hit a sub 2 hour half goal. He doesn't listen but he's stubborn! I've been running for 3 years and still getting hang of the running thing so don't feel bad :)

You should sign up for some more RunDisney races :) They are still open for Light Side & Dark Side ;)

So, it didn't take long....I signed up for the 5K and glass slipper challenge through a local charity! I'm really looking forward to my first challenge!

November Training Update

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 10.37.02 AM.png

November Total: 23.18 miles
2016 To Date: 267.91 miles

November was a long month mentally and emotionally and physically. Finally being cleared to run was what I thought was going to be a good thing for how much I was going to accomplish for the month but when we got back from Walt Disney World from Wine & Dine Weekend, little did I know how much life was going to get crazy.

Dining Report from Trip Here: http://disboards.com/threads/i-want...-festival-trips-12-3-boozy-milkshake.3549889/

November 14th my mother called and stated that her husband would no longer be continuing chemotherapy and they would be started in-home hospice until it became time for hospital hospice care. As the liver is what filters out the toxins in the body, with messed with his brain some, causing a lot of confusion and lashing out. The timeline we were originally given was 6 to 8 weeks. Well, on November 21st, he fell because he didn’t listen very well to my mother or the people around to help her. He got transported to the emergency room and placed at hospital hospice care. Timelines also got changed once the hospice doctor started looking at him. After work on the 22nd, I went up for Thanksgiving Break to spend up until the 27th there. I won’t lie. It was rough. I’m shocked I even got any running done after the 14th. I’ve had to be the practical one in all of this as my mother is the emotional one on a good day. He passed on December 2nd while my husband and I were on our way up to St. Augustine for the end.

Star Wars is going to end up being interesting if I don’t get my butt in gear once I get home on December 7th!​

I'm so sorry for your loss, but am so glad that you were able to be there for your mom. I cannot imagine how hard that was for all of you. You are your family have been in my thoughts. :hug:

I've been thinking of you! I'm so sorry for your loss!
Head up and charge on! Here's to a strong 2017 race year!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss, but am so glad that you were able to be there for your mom. I cannot imagine how hard that was for all of you. You are your family have been in my thoughts. :hug:

Thank you :) I truly am glad he is no longer in pain. Its been tough getting my mother to that point that she's in a better place about it all. Her and I are going to the Ritz in Orlando the weekend before Princess to spread his ashes on the golf course (well a small amount of them - more of the ashes are going a couple other places) and then we're headed to Saratoga Springs for Disney time as she bought herself a pass. There may be more trips in the future but at least its a good place to meet (and it doesn't hurt its on her dime for the time being - I may make a DVC member of her yet!)

I've been thinking of you! I'm so sorry for your loss!
Head up and charge on! Here's to a strong 2017 race year!!!

Well I just got to get through Rebel Challenge and Dark Side Challenge. I'm then scheduling surgery on my left ankle to occur right after Dark Side, hopefully. My next race after that will be Wine & Dine 10K!

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Thank you! It was a long 7 months from start to end. Now to get my mother to her 'new' normal.

December Training Update

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 7.24.59 PM.png

December Mileage: 21.73 miles
2016 Total Mileage: 289.64 miles

So this month started off rough. My step father passed away on December 2nd and we were there until the morning of December 7th. I did get one run in at least although it was a short one. Work also was a beast when I returned and well, that ended up meaning I skipped my runs during the week.

So photos from the Night of Lights in St. Augustine and my Beach Yogas which I guess is the only thing I’ve been consistent with this year….

tWnNDry.jpg

1V2Pb3F.jpg

1wqT4tR.jpg

KWIkwnV.jpg

zI2HtoD.jpg

YBLzhLV.jpg

3WjBnQf.jpg

December 24th started my holiday break from work. Turns out I slept in too much and got to the gym not long before they closed early that day!

So on December 26th, I went on a hike at the Bird Rookery in northern Collier County. I went with my girl friend that joined me in September to Disney and her husband. Well...something went horribly wrong. We went out at 10:20AM and started out ok. I had brought the amount of water I would have during a half marathon with me along with Clif Chew Packs + Oat & Honey Bars to eat along the way since it was going to be a slow 12 mile hike. I figured this would be perfect for training since I’ve, well, sucked at the training. At around 5 miles, I had to take a break and um, got sick. I felt 100% better afterwards though and felt like I could keep going. We trucked on and it happens again. At 7 miles, I had to say enough and 911 got called. Talk about embarrassing? Well - we got to wait for the sheriff’s office to get their truck out there but then their truck got stuck in a stream and they had to winch up but at that point the Fire Department/EMTs arrived and took me on their AVT back through the trail as they said they wanted to get me to the paramedics to get officially checked out. When they arrived, (about 45 minutes after 911 was called) my blood pressure was 110/70 and blood sugar was 104 so I wasn’t in bad condition. Once I got on the bus, my heart rate was high at 121 but my EKG was normal but I was feeling better and honestly, I didn’t want to deal with the bill from having to get driven in by the paramedics to get an IV at the ER. I said I will go home and drink gatorade against their advisement. My friend drove me home, just in case, and her husband followed behind. I’m super thankful for her!

yGT5fMn.jpg

lDiLoPb.jpg

rzDMsiG.jpg

0sCCXje.jpg

What happened? No idea. I was hydrated! When I went pee before the hike I was nice and slightly pale and when I got home I was the same. I had carbs during the walk along with a basic breakfast at 8AM. The heat is nothing new to me either.

When I woke up on Tuesday, I had a horrible cold and a million bug bites all over me. Maybe the cold caused the sickness or the sickness caused the cold. I spent most of my week afterwards watching a lot of Netflix and random junk on TV outside of going to yoga on Wednesday and when my husband dragged me to the gym with him and said I could at least bike as I should get out of the house.

I’m honestly not sure how Star Wars - Light Side is going to go. I’m not trained in way, shape or form.

I’m not worried about being able to finish the 10K as I know I can do that without a problem although my speed may not be what I want it to be. I am in Corral G for the half and my husband is in Corral B. That does give me some wiggle room with time for the half but I’m not sure my body is going to hold up for it. If I end up having to medically stop or get swept, I think my half marathon career is over. I’ll stick to 10Ks only after Dark Side Challenge since I will have lost legacy with Light Side. Not how I wanted to end 2016 with this journal. I ran less in 2016 than I did in 2015. I'm ready for 2016 to be over!

And my fitting end for 2016…

Lyr8nDK.jpg

Wow! What a December! Stay positive and stay active until the Star Wars light side! You CAN do this!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter