Ratio/Number of Counselors in Oceaneer Club

Phranciscan

Earning My Ears
We're on cruise on the Magic out of NYC in late November. We have two children (ages 8 and 11) who will likely be spending a bit of time in the Oceaneer Club and Lab. In terms of the number of counselors with them, are they in some sort of team? If I drop them off in the morning, will I have the same people I deal with every day? How many people will be directly supervising my children?

We're trying to get an idea of what to expect. We did a Royal Caribbean Cruise a few years ago and we had the same four or five counselors every day for the kids activities. We're also trying to plan on how many folks we will be thanking.

Thanks!

Royal is way more hands on. It's not like that on Disney. With Disney they aren't guided in activities unless the kids want to participate in them. Whereas on Royal the activities are what's happen. Join or sit. :) On Disney the kids could, if other kids let them, sit and play video games all day.

My guy is 13 now, but when it was relevant, we ended up taking him to the lab at times for specific activities then picking up after. The main spontaneous activity he enjoyed was the dance floor, but that was dependent on the other kids being part of it.

On Royal he had a blast. Loved the interaction with the counselors. He missed that a lot on Disney.

Just want you to be aware of the differences even though I can't answer your exact questions.

It seems like there were yellow shirts everywhere and the space is huge, so they're spread out. I honestly did not recognize people from day to day, but that could be because we really only interacted with whomever was at the check-in/out area and they likely rotate through that job. I don't know that you'll have enough interactions with any one person to warrant special thank yous, but you certainly won't with EVERY counselor. I'd be prepared for your top few if you want to, but not worry about all because you can't do all.

On the classics there's a team of over 30 counsellors. It takes a minimum of of 10 to open one space and 11 to open the other. All the counsellors will work every day (unless signed out sick). The majorit6 will work the hours between 9am and midnight. They work between both spaces and 10-11 hours a day, so if you use the club's a lot you'll recognise faces but CM rotate throughout different roles/job's every 30 minutes or so. So you might drop your kid off and the CM that was on the desk might be standing outside the bathroom when you go and pick up.

Royal, depending on ship, have much smaller teams 10-15 or so and because they work sessions and have age groups it's easier for them to be recognised/remembered.
The only difference is that they then have to be strict with their ratios so if it's full it's becomes a one in one out system. With disney they have so many CMs working they never hit ratio and kids don't get turned away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!