Raising a Disney Baby - Reviewing our way around the resorts (and hopefully the parks too!) - Update 10/24 - Of mice and men

SnowWhiteOz

DIS Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised if the answers no as I ended up running out on the second trip report in a row (I finished the first one eventually years later but the last one is still incomplete). I will say I was experiencing some personal heartbreak both during the trip and while writing the TR but I promise I will finish this one!

But first who am I for those who I've yet to have the please of making your acquaintance - I'm Jess, your hostess on this adventure.

I’m 34 years old and I’m originally from Melbourne, Australia. I spent almost nine years living in the nation’s capital, Canberra working for the federal government but that all changed after my 30th Birthday Disney trip back in 2016.

I happened to meet a boy on that adventure and that boy is now DH. Part of the package of marrying him involved moving to the US and we’ve been based in Denver the past four years but have just moved.

That's right we sold our house (thank you housing boom) and quit our jobs (keep your fingers crossed we find new ones soon) and packed all our belongings into our car (and a moving pod) and drove cross country to our new home state - Florida!!!

We're currently staying with my in-laws in Daytona Beach but have plans to move to Orlando in the near future.

Favourite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favourite Ride: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (specifically in HK but I do love all of them)
Favourite Character - Princess: Snow White
Favourite Character - Non-Princess: the Genie
Favourite Disney Movie: Aladdin (the animated version)

My travelling partner is my DH. While he is not a Disney fan, he agreed to the move and all our future Disney plans because he knows it makes me happy (I picked a good one). He is no longer bearded but is still as adorable as ever to me :)

Favourite Park: Animal Kingdom
Favourite Ride: Expedition Everest
Favourite Disney Movie: The Lion King (original)

And why did we decide to move now? Well that would be because of this little ray of sunshine.

We had our first baby back in December 2020 and after a pandemic and no support during pregnancy and her almost first year of life we decided to move to be closer to family and hey, what happens to be in the area, Disney!

DD is almost 10 months old so we'll be starting our adventure outside the parks until things calm down just a little with Delta variant, but a girl has to start her love of Disney somewhere so touring the resorts is a great place to start!

DD loves Minnie Mouse, Bluey (check it out on Disney+ - you won't be disappointed!) and Daniel Tiger. She's walking already and has a mouth full of teeth so it feels like toddlerhood has come a little early in our household!

So that's what's in store - we'll be spending a night here or there at different Disney resorts while we start our new lives in Central Florida. First up of the ranks is the Grand Floridian because if I'm going to be raising a Disney baby she's going to start at the top!

Table of Contents

Just a slight change of plans

Last edited:

Oh wow, congratulations!

I've always wanted to move to Florida and I love your idea to resort hop

Following along! I have a 13 month old Disney Princess in the making! She will be 15 months on our first trip in November, and I am so excited and anxious all at once! I have some very good friends that are from Melbourne! They are coming to visit next summer **Fingers crossed**. You are all very brave packing up and moving across country! I hope you find your dream jobs soon and a dream home to top it off!

Such an exciting move! I had a January 2021 baby, too - it’s crazy how much bigger she is already. That’s so awesome that you’ll be near family and Disney, you lucky girl!!

Following and congrats! DH swears we're moving to Orlando when our youngest DS15 graduates so we'll see lol.

I love the idea of spending a few nights in different resorts and am excited to hear about it!

Bluey (check it out on Disney+ - you won't be disappointed!)
OMG love Bluey! My 3 year old DGD watches it religiously, I've seen it so much that now when it comes on even I yell "yay it's Bluey!!!"

Following along! I have a 13 month old Disney Princess in the making! She will be 15 months on our first trip in November, and I am so excited and anxious all at once! I have some very good friends that are from Melbourne! They are coming to visit next summer **Fingers crossed**. You are all very brave packing up and moving across country! I hope you find your dream jobs soon and a dream home to top it off!

I have my fingers crossed travel opens up soon too - my Mom has not been able to meet her grand baby in person yet and she'll be at least a year old by the time she's hopefully able to!

My update - which I'll hopefully have ready to go tomorrow - has all my initial thoughts about Disney with a baby - some bad and some good -it's
definitely a different experience!

Such an exciting move! I had a January 2021 baby, too - it’s crazy how much bigger she is already. That’s so awesome that you’ll be near family and Disney, you lucky girl!!

They definitely grow so much quicker than I expected - I feel like I have a toddler already because she can walk (and almost run) already so I have to be on the lookout constantly!

Following and congrats! DH swears we're moving to Orlando when our youngest DS15 graduates so we'll see lol.

I love the idea of spending a few nights in different resorts and am excited to hear about it!

OMG love Bluey! My 3 year old DGD watches it religiously, I've seen it so much that now when it comes on even I yell "yay it's Bluey!!!"

I'll keep my fingers crossed your DH sticks to his word and that you'll be down here too in a few years!

We're definitely a big Bluey household - one because it gives her a taste of Australia but also because its so fantastically written - we've laughed at all the episodes and even cried at others!

Just a slight change of plans

So I promised a trip report about testing out the resorts before going into the parks at all (because of the nasty C word). But something happened quicker than I expected that changed our plans.

I thought we wouldn't be able to get Florida drivers licences until we had our own place but it turns out my in-laws could basically act as a guarantor that we live with them for now so we were able to get them done.

Of course this meant that we were now eligible to get Florida resident rates on annual passes and one thing led to another (well my lack of patience led to a purchase) and here we are - DH and I are officially annual pass holders at Disney. I went top-tier with the Incredi-Pass (how could I not? and luckily we made a small profit on our home sale so I had to money splurge) and my husband has the Pirate Pass.

So I signed up the day before our planned resort stay with the intention of leaving it up in the air as to whether we'd activate them that trip or not (spoiler alert - we did).

And so, moving forward this trip report which was only meant to be about resort stays has expanded to include introducing a baby to the parks!

Coming up - A hoity toity introduction

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter