Preparing for Nicole, Rain tips, and other advice!

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
Updating the thread to also include Nicole prep, starting on page 4!

I placed a Food order so we have some stuff and also may call and try to move hotels, we have changed this trip so many times! Move to universal Friday so 🤞🏻That happens!

I really try not to worry about rain to much in Disney, but it looks like Wednesday and Thursday will be total wash outs. Not just passing showers, They are our only 2 park days so we will make the best of it. Looking for tips any and all on enjoying the parks in rain.

Here is what I am currently planning re parks and rain gear.

Wednesday is full Hollywood studios day (with break for the pool 🤣)

Thursday is Epcot and MK with Christmas party.

I have ponchos packed and now adding raincoats
Crocs for my DD8 and Tevas for myself
Should I bring another pair of sandals? I usually like sneakers in the parks, but hate wet feet and socks
2 pairs of sneakers extra socks
Umbrellas
What should I pack that I’m missing here??

To the parks I plan to bring a change of clothes including shoes in a ziplock bag for each of us
2 ponchos plus our rain coats
Was thinking would wear crocs/tevas to the parks, is this insane??
Have umbrella only to use if it’s not to crowded

Am I missing anything? Any tips to make these days amazing that I’m missing?

Last edited:
Bring a newspaper or two. If you crumple newspaper and leave it in your sneakers, they dry out overnight. I've used paper towels from a public bathroom in a pinch, but newspaper is much more effective.

I'd also get body glide to proactively apply to any possible chafing spots each morning before you leave. If you do it preventatively, you can avoid the blisters. For me, when I have to do a long run in the rain, that means body glide on bottoms and backs of feet, between thighs, and all the way along bra line under the ladies. Obviously, with ponchos, your legs and torso will be much dryer, but I'd probably still do your feet each day since you know they'll be rubbing in wet shoes the whole time.

I really try not to worry about rain to much in Disney, but it looks like Wednesday and Thursday will be total wash outs. Not just passing showers, They are our only 2 park days so we will make the best of it. Looking for tips any and all on enjoying the parks in rain.

Here is what I am currently planning re parks and rain gear.

Wednesday is full Hollywood studios day (with break for the pool 🤣)

Thursday is Epcot and MK with Christmas party.

I have ponchos packed and now adding raincoats
Crocs for my DD8 and Tevas for myself
Should I bring another pair of sandals? I usually like sneakers in the parks, but hate wet feet and socks
2 pairs of sneakers extra socks
Umbrellas
What should I pack that I’m missing here??

To the parks I plan to bring a change of clothes including shoes in a ziplock bag for each of us
2 ponchos plus our rain coats
Have umbrella only to use if it’s not to crowded

Am I missing anything? Any tips to make these days amazing that I’m missing?
A lot of people are scared of rain at wdw. I make it my friend. Meaning I will enjoy the shorter wait times while the people who are scared of the rain leaves the park. I don’t wear a poncho also. Of course I’m coming back to a washer and dryer in my room. I might think difference if I didn’t have a washer and dryer in my room. Always bring an extra pair of sneakers or an extra pair of whatever you wear. Enjoy your trip don’t worry about the rain.

A lot of people are scared of rain at wdw. I make it my friend. Meaning I will enjoy the shorter wait times while the people who are scared of the rain leaves the park. I don’t wear a poncho also. Of course I’m coming back to a washer and dryer in my room. I might think difference if I didn’t have a washer and dryer in my room. Always bring an extra pair of sneakers or an extra pair of whatever you wear. Enjoy your trip don’t worry about the rain.
Hoping for shorter waits! My daughter has a long must do list for such a short trip!

Last edited:

We have had a great time on rain days. Keen Whispers or similar type waterproof-ish hiking sandals, lightweight Northface rain jackets (way better than ponchos as far as I'm concerned). I've never bothered with an umbrella. You're going to get a little wet. It's just water! As long as you wear appropriate shoes so you don't have gross soggy socks, you'll be fine.

We always bring a second pair of park-worthy shoes but in a pinch I’ve dried sneakers with a hair dryer too.

I wear running shoes and socks and pack a pair of flip flops in a plastic bag to switch to in case it rains.

I ditched the ponchos/raincoats because they are wet, heavy and awkward to repack once the rain stops. I now bring a small pop up umbrella. Easy to use and store, especially for intermittent rainy days.

I just watched the local news. It is starting to look like we will be getting some sort of tropical system, possibly even a hurricane, hitting somewhere along the east coast of Florida instead of just a rainy day or two, and it may not come until later in the week. So far, it could come in anywhere from Miami to Cape Canaveral. It’s too early to panic, since it hasn’t formed yet, but keep wind in the back of your mind when deciding on your rain gear. If it’s just a tropical depression or tropical storm, the parks should be open, but it would be gusty, and a good raincoat will keep you dry where a poncho blowing in the wind might not. Monitor the weather the next couple of days carefully to get a better idea of what is coming.

I really hope the forecast is wrong. The last thing we need right now is another tropical system.

The opposite of insane. Much easier then walking around with soaking wet socks and sneakers. Much better then experiencing a second rain shower, shortly after putting on the extra sneakers and socks you brought to the park.

Bring a newspaper or two. If you crumple newspaper and leave it in your sneakers, they dry out overnight. I've used paper towels from a public bathroom in a pinch, but newspaper is much more effective.
We were caught in the rain at MK last Wed (monsoon type rain). I used the packing paper from an ornament we bought to stuff my sneakers, since we couldn’t find newspaper. Worked OK. Then I repacked the ornament with some unworn clothing.

Keep watching the weather forecast. Go to WWW.weather.com and enter Epcot as your destination. It will give you a reasonably accurate forecast. I checked just now and it doesn't sound like it will be rain all day, but instead thunderstorms are more likely. Of course we are several days ahead of your visit and the forecast for those days will likely change.

Keep watching the weather forecast. Go to WWW.weather.com and enter Epcot as your destination. It will give you a reasonably accurate forecast. I checked just now and it doesn't sound like it will be rain all day, but instead thunderstorms are more likely. Of course we are several days ahead of your visit and the forecast for those days will likely change.
Totally monitoring but want to make sure and pack right if it does end up being really rainy!

Bring sandwich size or quart ziplocks to the parks for phones, and a small bag of rice just in case your phone does end up getting wet you can put in a container with the rice to soak up the moisture.

I like to have ADR at sit downs during rainy days so that some relaxation and a little drying off is built into what end up being grueling itineraries. I findit much more difficult to do so at qs where finding a seat is often a struggle and often were packed in like sardines. I would avoid scifi as it doesn't give enough space to spread your stuff out. Meanwhile you probably won't need it while at EPCOT if you're willing to eat at Nine Dragons, as I've found that if all else fails and you can't get into a walk up queue for something you prefer you can always get something at Nine Dragons.

Try not to rely on the Skyliner, as there's a chance it will be down if it gets windy. Where are you staying?

I just watched the local news. It is starting to look like we will be getting some sort of tropical system, possibly even a hurricane, hitting somewhere along the east coast of Florida instead of just a rainy day or two, and it may not come until later in the week. So far, it could come in anywhere from Miami to Cape Canaveral. It’s too early to panic, since it hasn’t formed yet, but keep wind in the back of your mind when deciding on your rain gear. If it’s just a tropical depression or tropical storm, the parks should be open, but it would be gusty, and a good raincoat will keep you dry where a poncho blowing in the wind might not. Monitor the weather the next couple of days carefully to get a better idea of what is coming.

I really hope the forecast is wrong. The last thing we need right now is another tropical system.
I also hope it’s wrong, not just because of my trip but for all the locals! It’s brutal to get back to back storms! I’m hoping it shifts and it’s just some rain. I did read it will depend on how much momentum it gains in the next few days.

Bring sandwich size or quart ziplocks to the parks for phones, and a small bag of rice just in case your phone does end up getting wet you can put in a container with the rice to soak up the moisture.

I like to have ADR at sit downs during rainy days so that some relaxation and a little drying off is built into what end up being grueling itineraries. I findit much more difficult to do so at qs where finding a seat is often a struggle and often were packed in like sardines. I would avoid scifi as it doesn't give enough space to spread your stuff out. Meanwhile you probably won't need it while at EPCOT if you're willing to eat at Nine Dragons, as I've found that if all else fails and you can't get into a walk up queue for something you prefer you can always get something at Nine Dragons.

Try not to rely on the Skyliner, as there's a chance it will be down if it gets windy. Where are you staying?
Thanks! Love the ziplocks!

I do have sit downs booked both days, which is a plus!

We are at movies and I’m totally open to Uber or Minnie Vans if needed.

I would like to add to make sure you have good head covering. A rain proof wide brim hat that covers the neck is a life saver.

A few years ago I was in.a torrential rain storm. About the heaviest rain I've experienced at Disney. Everyone was looking at their phones. Chance of rain 0% , not a typo zero percent. About 15 minutes later it switched to 100%
OP is giving far too much credibility to forecasts.

Assume rain many afternoons for a while. I'd go with some kind of water friendly footware. Bring poncho, jacket with hood or umbrella. Whatever your more comfortable. Pick one.

Do you wear eyeglasses. Bring a microfiber cloth to dry them.

A few years ago I was in.a torrential rain storm. About the heaviest rain I've experienced at Disney. Everyone was looking at their phones. Chance of rain 0% , not a typo zero percent. About 15 minutes later it switched to 100%
OP is giving far too much credibility to forecasts.

Assume rain many afternoons for a while. I'd go with some kind of water friendly footware. Bring poncho, jacket with hood or umbrella. Whatever your more comfortable. Pick one.

Do you wear eyeglasses. Bring a microfiber cloth to dry them.
OP here, I’m trying to be prepared! However, do you realize this week they are watching a tropical storm that is forming and due to bring rain to all of Florida?

When Ian hit people were telling posters how are you not prepared they have been talking about this for days. Now people are telling me I’m over reacting, legit can not win on these boards sometimes

When Ian hit people were telling posters how are you not prepared they have been talking about this for days. Now people are telling me I’m over reacting, legit can not win on these boards sometimes

:D -- I found this thread because I posted about this week's weather in the Nov thread. So thank you for creating it. I have never been to WDW when it's been raining (aside from very light temporary rain), so I appreciate this thread.

As I said in the Nov thread, I spent last week dealing with moving my 94 yo Mom and while I had time to glance at the forecast in a weather app, it wasn't until I was home yesterday that I realized that this was a tropical system headed to FL. As you mentioned, that's a totally different situation.

Perhaps it'll move faster. Or perhaps it'll move slower, but unless the highly unlikely event of it turning and moving back out into the Atlantic, it's got the potential to make for a very raining day(s) for some of us.

I hope it's okay to ask here, but what rides close due to rain? I just realized we may be out of luck for the Skyliner for one or 2 of our days if this brings wind -- and that's a huge bummer, but I've never really paid attention to what rides close due to rain (and/or lightning).

We already planned to get disposable ponchos for our group, but I think I'll put in our regular Columbia Rain Jackets too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter