Radiator Springs...and beyond!

ChrissyClark

Simply mad about the Mouse!
We are traveling to DL for the very first time at the end of Feb (we’re WDW vets). Obviously, we’re going to be affected by quite a few closures (staying at DLH, two kids ages 6 and 4). It feels like quite a few of the things I have gotten the kids pumped about are not going to be available to us, so I need help from experienced DL’ers and DCA’ers! Hit me with all the cool little things you love to do, that may not be on the park maps (which we’ve reviewed). Specifically, my 6 yo son is Cars obsessed, so any cool things to do in Radiator Springs? Just saw that DJ’s dance party ended. Had never even heard of it, but he would have loved that! Do any characters besides Lightning and Cruz make appearances? All the videos we find on YouTube are pretty old, so looking for recent info. Thanks so much for your help in getting our pre-Disney trip mojo back!

If your son is obsessed with Cars, he will be in love with Cars Land. It is so well done and feels just like you're walking into Radiator Springs! When we were there, you could meet Lightning, Mater & Red. We went before Cars 3 came out so Cruz wasn't an option yet. You will have a great time!

When at the end of Feb are you going? There will still be a ton of fun things to do. Fireworks and Fantasmic shouldn't make or break a Disney trip!

There's a sticky thread for WDW vets going to Disneyland that could be a good place to start :)

Carsland is a lot of fun. Your kids sound like the perfect age for it - although my kids are now 16 and 15 and they still love Carsland.

We are going in a month and yes, the castle being walled off for renovations and the evening entertainment not running is a bit of a bummer but man, we have been there when there is a LOT more down than that and we had a great time regardless.

Your kids are at a great age and they will have a fabulous time.

We were just there dec 27th-29th and loved carsland. Our 7yr grand child loved Maters Junkyard Jamboree ride. Was able to ride it twice during the day. Once early and once late at night. They’ve done a great job with the setup of the land so like everyone is saying you will love it. Raidiator Springs was awesome and we actually liked it more then Test Track back at WDW. Theming is great.

Also you must get a Jack Jack Cookie Num Num! It's this warm delicious gooey chocolate chip cookie (and it's fun to say!) that you can find right outside of Incredicoaster. You can find a variety of snacks at the Cozy Cone Motel. I didn't realize they got rid of the dance party in cars land, but I think they do a guardians of the galaxy themed dance party near the Monsters Inc ride.

Also you must get a Jack Jack Cookie Num Num! It's this warm delicious gooey chocolate chip cookie (and it's fun to say!) that you can find right outside of Incredicoaster. You can find a variety of snacks at the Cozy Cone Motel. I didn't realize they got rid of the dance party in cars land, but I think they do a guardians of the galaxy themed dance party near the Monsters Inc ride.
The dance party in Carsland just ended on Sunday. :-(

The GOTG one is still there, I think.

Cars land is just amazing. Radiator springs racers is my favorite ride. Make sure to ride it both at night and during the day. Its like a whole new ride at night. Love it! We saw Red, Mater, Cruz and Lightning in August. We like to have dinner at Flos just before sunset so we are there for the sh'boom. They play the song and turn the neon on and it is pure Disney magic! I also love Luigi's both during the day and at night. Mater's jamboree is also fun. I really loved Djs dance and drive and hope they replace it with something fun. My toddler loves DJ.

Cars Land certainly is a fantastic location - and this comes from my wife and myself who don't have kids personally for various reasons - people of all ages can enjoy it and the Radiator Springs ride is one of the best within DCA. Even my wife - who is not a fan of rollercoasters - is happy to ride here, which is a big help. True, the queues can sometimes be long but that's part of the enjoyment of the ride in itself. The attractions around, including meeting the other Cars characters are also brilliant too, very much worth sticking around for.

Just a question, why do you say there are going to be a lot of closures?

According to the current rehab schedule, the only things closed by the end of Feb are:
  • Definite Closures
    • Disneyland - Definite Closures
      • Sleeping Beauty Castle & Walkthrough
  • Likely to still be closed
    • Disneyland
      • Sailing Ship Columbia
      • Fantasmic!
    • DCA
      • Carousel
      • World of Color
      • Grizzly River Run
So that amounts to one definite closure and up to five possible closures, for a total of six maximum. Disneyland has about 55 attractions and California Adventure has about 28 attractions for a total of 83 attractions. Only having 5 attractions closed isn't doing to bad and that is the worst case scenario.

Compare this to Disney World:
Magic Kingdom - About 40 attractions
Animal Kingdom - About 15 attractions
Hollywood Studios - About 14 attractions
EPCOT - About 14 attractions

Total - 83 attractions

Yep, same number of attractions our two parks as in all four parks combined at present and currently has 5 closed attractions as well.

Just trying to put it all into perspective that really not that much is closed when you look at the whole.

We are traveling to DL for the very first time at the end of Feb (we’re WDW vets). Obviously, we’re going to be affected by quite a few closures (staying at DLH, two kids ages 6 and 4). It feels like quite a few of the things I have gotten the kids pumped about are not going to be available to us, so I need help from experienced DL’ers and DCA’ers! Hit me with all the cool little things you love to do, that may not be on the park maps (which we’ve reviewed). Specifically, my 6 yo son is Cars obsessed, so any cool things to do in Radiator Springs? Just saw that DJ’s dance party ended. Had never even heard of it, but he would have loved that! Do any characters besides Lightning and Cruz make appearances? All the videos we find on YouTube are pretty old, so looking for recent info. Thanks so much for your help in getting our pre-Disney trip mojo back!

The dance party was cute for kids of all ages. I have seen older couples dancing to the music as well as toddlers and every age in between. I am surprised and disappointed they removed it and not replaced it with something else. Shame, shame.
Mater's ride is fun. We always laugh on this ride. EE days in DCA, one day, we will hit rides for a couple of hours, then have breakfast at Flo's and sit inside and enjoy the scenery while planning the next part of the day. Grab a snack from Cozy Cones and watch turn on at dusk.
Animation Building is a nice place to take your time in and enjoy learning to draw characters, etc.
Ride in the cones (front/end) of the monorail. Such fun! Make as many pressed pennies as you find. Ask your kids what they want to do when they go to Disneyland. You may be surprised by their answers. Plan one morning to be at the opening of Toon Town and explore it.
What ever you do, have a great time!

Luigi's ride is fun not just to ride but also to watch. And pay attention to the details everywhere! It's really cool.

Try to ride RSR both during the day and at night. It's a totally different experience at night.

Just a question, why do you say there are going to be a lot of closures?

According to the current rehab schedule, the only things closed by the end of Feb are:
  • Definite Closures
    • Disneyland - Definite Closures
      • Sleeping Beauty Castle & Walkthrough
  • Likely to still be closed
    • Disneyland
      • Sailing Ship Columbia
      • Fantasmic!
    • DCA
      • Carousel
      • World of Color
      • Grizzly River Run
So that amounts to one definite closure and up to five possible closures, for a total of six maximum. Disneyland has about 55 attractions and California Adventure has about 28 attractions for a total of 83 attractions. Only having 5 attractions closed isn't doing to bad and that is the worst case scenario.

Compare this to Disney World:
Magic Kingdom - About 40 attractions
Animal Kingdom - About 15 attractions
Hollywood Studios - About 14 attractions
EPCOT - About 14 attractions

Total - 83 attractions

Yep, same number of attractions our two parks as in all four parks combined at present and currently has 5 closed attractions as well.

Just trying to put it all into perspective that really not that much is closed when you look at the whole.

I had heard that, about the total rides vs. WDW. Very cool. The things that the kids (and adults!) were looking forward to were: Paint The Night, the castle / castle walk through, World of Color, Fantasmic (since we hear so often how DL’s is better!), and the monorail pool and slides at DLH. We are glad to hear that Splash Mountain may be back up when we go (2/24 through 3/1).

Thank you all so much for your replies! It sounds like we will be spending a ton of time in Radiator Springs, for sure! I really hope Red is still there...We’d love to tell him Hi! .

Last edited:
Cars land is just amazing. Radiator springs racers is my favorite ride. Make sure to ride it both at night and during the day. Its like a whole new ride at night. Love it! We saw Red, Mater, Cruz and Lightning in August. We like to have dinner at Flos just before sunset so we are there for the sh'boom. They play the song and turn the neon on and it is pure Disney magic! I also love Luigi's both during the day and at night. Mater's jamboree is also fun. I really loved Djs dance and drive and hope they replace it with something fun. My toddler loves DJ.
We love DJ, too! I wish they would at least still bring him out for Meet and Greets...a Mom can hope.

RSR at night is magical. I would try and wait to do it at night for your first ride. It is truest special and the pinnacle of what Disney can create.

Make time for the Soundsational parade in DL. It's not the powerhouse spectacle that PTN was, but it is an absolutely charming parade -- especially the Mary Poppins float at the end. We're so glad to see it returning to DL this month!

Cars land is absolutely great and I would say that the theming is quintessential Disney. It literally looks like the movie and this is especially true at night.

I think your best resource for the land is a YouTuber Parks Provost. This guy is full of energy and genuine love for disney. I know he did a whole park review for Carsland

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter