quitting scrapbooking.....

twingle3

Mouseketeer
I have made the decision to leave this wonderful hobby. I will finish my Disney trip from September and then I will be done with scrapping. I have just finished a brand new scrapping room in my home, have a new computer and scanner, and been involved in some great embellishment swaps lately. I just have no motivation or desire to scrap anymore. I have waited and hoped that this would pass but it doesn't seem to be. I have a ton of eyelets, brads, fiber, paper and accessories just no desire--my kids will have some very nice art supplies as I don't do cardmaking either.. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has offered ideas and advice and posted your layouts.
Thanks again,
Angie

:sad1: My advice is to wait it out and don't get rid of your scrap stuff right away. I did this after I finished my first scrapbook, it took so long, I just had no desire to do another one. Now, about 2 1/2 years later, I caught the bug again and I am excitedly working on my honeymoon scrapbook from a year ago! You get burned out, but if it is something you really love (or can remember loving) eventually you many want to scrap again.

I agree that it sounds like burn out. I go through stages like that, but I never stop taking photos, so I return to my CM roots and just do fast, simple pages until I get "re-inspired".

I also agree with the others. I was in a rut for about a year. I would still pick things up when they were on sale or if I liked them. I have now just returned to the hobby and am having a wonderful time again.

Maybe you just need a vacation from scrapping !!!

I have "given it up" more times than I can count! :rotfl: I always eventually come back to it because it is something I love.

Put it all away. Don't look at any of it. Don't think about it. And above all else, DO NOT BUY ANY S/B SUPPLIES NO MATTER HOW CUTE!
In time, maybe a few months or maybe even a year, something will come over you one day and you'll feel the urge to scrap something. At least, that's how it works for me.

Take this time to explore new hobbies! :thumbsup2

I agree with the others do not get rid of your stuff if you do and decide to go back it will cost a fortune to buy it all again. I get in ruts constantly with my crafts mostly my knitting (I made a great cable sweater it turned out beautifully but it is big on me I measured my gauge and everything) I will need to redo it sometime but I can't bring myself to do it yet sooooo much work!

Sounds like you really enjoyed scrapbooking at one time maybe you just need a break for awhile not to quit but maybe just a break. Maybe you need something to scrap a new theme or album idea to get you excited again.

I too...will have to join everyone else and suggest you don't get rid of your thing to fast. It does sound like a rut..or burn-out. All scrappers have them...some last a quite a long time...while others are short. Afterall...if you had a whole room put together just for scrapping...you must have enjoyed something about the whole hobby.

Maybe give it a bit....then try again...and maybe try a diffrent approach. In stead of focusing on ONE album (like your vacation)...just do some random things. Pick some photos you love and scrap them. Do some odds and ins photos...ones that are from everyday life..or try some new techniques or products.

Either way...don't give up yet. Give it some time.

Another thing...I'm not sure how old your kids are but maybe they'd like to try scrapbooking.

I agree with the others - I think many of us have BTDT. Sometimes it is just overwhelming! There are times that I've used my supplies for school projects more than for scrapbooking, lol!

I'd like to suggest that you continue taking pictures and keep them organized in photo albums so that you can pull them out and enjoy them. Keep your finished albums out, too.

I hope others have been giving you positive feedback on your pages/albums. That makes a difference (at least for me) in keeping motivated. :wizard:

Jeanne

I stopped posting (and reading) this board because like you I was burnt out on scrapping. After nearly a year, I decided to give it a go again and finish the book I had in progress. I'm actually enjoying it again!

my goal is to finish this book and then my 2005 Disney trips. After that I think I'm going to stop taking on 'entire book' projects and just do individual events, like my DS's preschool graduation or our halloween party. That seems a lot less overwhelming to me. I've also, at least for the moment, giving up on going back and redoing old albums.

Hopefully scrapping will be fun for you again someday!

Hi,
I am a seasonal scrapper! For some reason during the winter I spend lots of time scrapping but once the sun comes out and the days get longer I just can't be bothered with it and my scrapping table is bare. Then comes the autumn, and I'm off again with a vengence.

I now have a fancy to get out one of the many cross stitch kits that I collected a few years back and have saved for 'another day'.

I would never get rid of any of my craft stuff - take a look in my loftspace! I will always come back to it someday.

Good luck with your 'craft room' - sounds wonderfull!

Gail

I know I've found myself thinking that way when I get really far behind. I had to accept the fact that it's absotively, posilutely OK if not every trip/thing gets scrapped. I have 2 trips that I just bought little plastic boxes for, stuck everything I had gotten for scrapping that specific trip inside, labelled it and stuck it away. Maybe someday I'll decide to scrap it; maybe not. That's fine! But it was so freeing to not feel like I was never going to be able to do anything but scrapbook because I had it piling up!

I really got into buying stuff for my Disney Albums, but instead bought a beautiful album for my parents' 50th anniversary and spent 5-6 months at the beginning of 2005 going through pictures, etc. They would not let us have a party, so this was something I thought they would enjoy. It turned out really well for my FIRST ever scrapbook.

Well, I burned myself out doing it in all my spare time on weekends and nights after work. I haven't started mine at all, but I keep on buying stuff -- which I must stop doing. :crazy:

I am in the same boat of the OP but with cross stitch supplies. I hurt my shoulder doing my sisters table cloth for her wedding many moons ago. Last year I ended up with severe tendonitis in my thumb and went the shot route which worked but I have to keep a strict eye on it or it flears up - basically as soon as I pick up a needle. So why keep it. I am going to sell it at my yard sale next week ( have a boat load of Disney kits and charts that I was going to do someday) I havent been real serious about it in about 5 yrs. I have only done one project (my sons birth sampler - was on bed rest) almost 4 yrs ago.

I agot off the subject. I would hold onto it all and then if you havent used it or got the itch back, than proceed. But the kids will have a blast with all that stuff. Perhaps put an add in the paper for a newbie scrapper to buy it from you

i agree to sit on it awhile. i am seeing signs of my scrappy self poking her head out of the rubble of a 8 month burn out. as of last week i was tempted to can it all, and i am glad i didn't.

twingle3 said:
I have made the decision to leave this wonderful hobby. I will finish my Disney trip from September and then I will be done with scrapping. I have just finished a brand new scrapping room in my home, have a new computer and scanner, and been involved in some great embellishment swaps lately. I just have no motivation or desire to scrap anymore. I have waited and hoped that this would pass but it doesn't seem to be. I have a ton of eyelets, brads, fiber, paper and accessories just no desire--my kids will have some very nice art supplies as I don't do cardmaking either.. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has offered ideas and advice and posted your layouts.
Thanks again,
Angie

:crazy: STOP THAT CRAZY TALK RIGHT NOW!!! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!