Quite the Valedictorian speech

I can, too.

I've had 2 salutatorians and a valedictorian in my house. Their speeches have to be rehearsed in front of staff and approved by staff the week before graduation.

One of my sons salutatorian speeches was about the achievements of the class despite the inadequacies of the school and district. Example-we do not have a school swimming pool, yet, our students won the state championship. They are bussed over to a city pool 45 minutes away in a neighboring city. We don't have a track and the kids run the mile long driveway entrance into the school, yet succeeded in their state meets. That same year, there was a school superintendent election. One of the candidates approached us and praised our son for having the courage to outline several of the deficiencies so publicly. She asked if our son would participate in her campaign, but he declined.

This particular high school was built in the 1950's and needs major upgrades and overhauls to the buildings. Meanwhile, there are two brand new high schools in our district that are extremely modern. Our kids feel very slighted by the district because needed repairs and upgrades are not made to our school and the district often brags on the new schools' achievements.

Fast forward from 2015 to 2019. Our high school still needs all the structural upgrades and overhauls, yet, due to administrative changes, the accolades for academic achievement from the district of the students from this school are outpacing those of the students at the newly built schools. So in a way, the student's complaints have been heard and internal personnel changes are making a difference. The administration in this high school are listening to the students and have implemented simple, low cost solutions that are garnering great results in student achievements.

I hope the same happens to the district this young lady is from.

I can, too.

I've had 2 salutatorians and a valedictorian in my house. Their speeches have to be rehearsed in front of staff and approved by staff the week before graduation.

One of my sons salutatorian speeches was about the achievements of the class despite the inadequacies of the school and district. Example-we do not have a school swimming pool, yet, our students won the state championship. They are bussed over to a city pool 45 minutes away in a neighboring city. We don't have a track and the kids run the mile long driveway entrance into the school, yet succeeded in their state meets. That same year, there was a school superintendent election. One of the candidates approached us and praised our son for having the courage to outline several of the deficiencies so publicly. She asked if our son would participate in her campaign, but he declined.

This particular high school was built in the 1950's and needs major upgrades and overhauls to the buildings. Meanwhile, there are two brand new high schools in our district that are extremely modern. Our kids feel very slighted by the district because needed repairs and upgrades are not made to our school and the district often brags on the new schools' achievements.

Fast forward from 2015 to 2019. Our high school still needs all the structural upgrades and overhauls, yet, due to administrative changes, the accolades for academic achievement from the district of the students from this school are outpacing those of the students at the newly built schools. So in a way, the student's complaints have been heard and internal personnel changes are making a difference. The administration in this high school are listening to the students and have implemented simple, low cost solutions that are garnering great results in student achievements.

I hope the same happens to the district this young lady is from.

Is a school pool a necessity? Is it open to the public or for school use only? If it’s for private use, I’d think the school should have to pay for it, or at least kick in for some of it.

Is a school pool a necessity? Is it open to the public or for school use only? If it’s for private use, I’d think the school should have to pay for it, or at least kick in for some of it.

No idea. No school pool as I stated.

Seventeen/eighteen year olds don't have a fully developed frontal lobe and this young lady makes it obvious. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Hopefully she'll learn that lesson sooner than later.
Agree. Her public airing of the school's dirty laundry seems to be motivated by mean-spiritedness and a desire to belittle ... in a platform designed for celebrating graduates. If she had genuine grievances (and none of us know if her statements were true or not), she should've sought a private audience with her principal and/or county superintendent. How do we know she hadn't already done that? She would've called those people out too, if she'd spoken to them and found no help.

How many schools do you think will stop val-and-sal speeches because of this girl?
That make two of us
I'll bring it up to three.
She obviously wasn’t paying much attention in English class. “You were always unavailable to my parents and I”. Sheesh!
Good catch.
I can see why she feels she had things to say- but I just don't feel like that was the place. She took EVERYONE'S graduation ceremony and really turned it into her event.
Agree. Graduation isn't the time for political messages.

Improved school facilities (academic and athletic) raise the attractiveness of an education from that district. This in turn raises property values.

So necessary? No. A community benefit whether you have students in the district or not? Definitely.

Nope. Not a necessity. But many warm weather states have them. Swim teams are fairly big here. That's why we win a lot in the olympics.
Both high schools in the city I grew up in had one. But they served as muni pools over the summer too. Over the winter it was just for the school and the city teams.

At our school, diplomas are withheld from people who misbehave at the ceremony and they have to do community service to get them. Part of growing up is knowing the time and place. She had a message and forum, but she wasted her chance to actually be heard because of nastiness.

No one will hear the message if the delivery is inappropriate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter