Quick meals and cheap eats in area

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by penguincrazie, Jan 7, 2017.

1. penguincrazie

penguincrazie I believe in magic; the magic of Disney that is!

So we are going in April and I booked at Windsor Hills so we will have a full kitchen. I want to cook quick, easy meals some night and eat off property some meals.

- What are some of your quick and easy ideas for meals (so we can get back to the parks)
    - Where are some close places to eat that we can leave and go back to parks?

Thank you for any advice! I havent been in 7 years and this is first time off property so doing it different this time as my family is larger!

2. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

As for easy meals to cook in your kitchen, we really do keep it simple. We'll get a huge package of boneless/skinless chicken breast and throw some marinade on it and toss it in the oven. Then for the kids sides we'll get something like Pasta Roni or something else easy to make on the stove top. For my wife and I, frozen veggies we can toss in the microwave, or fresh veggies we cut and eat. You can buy pre-made (not cooked, but formed) burgers and cook those. Pasta is of course easy. Just think of things that are easy to toss in the oven or on top of the stove AND are easy and quick clean up.

As for where to eat when you go out, you'll be right off Rt. 192. The road goes east/west and runs on the south side of WDW. Windsor Hills is on the west side. There are endless, endless restaurant choices along Rt. 192. Just drive Rt. 192 from Windsor Hills toward WDW, and if you need to go a few miles past it on the other side. Any kind of food you want, you'll find. It's a matter of what you want. We rarely eat out, but when we do we usually go to chain restaurants because we already know what to expect and can get a quick meal. Last trip, we went to an Ichiban Chinese buffet, which is on 192. Not a fancy place by any stretch, but it was good Chinese for a quick eat...my kids LOVED it.

disneyseniors likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. littlbugmom

littlbugmom DIS Veteran

Here are some of our go-to meals in the condo. All can be prepared in about 30 minutes.

Grilled chicken caeser salad
    Individual homemade pizzas
    baked fish and rice
    Burgers and tater tots
    Sandwiches with chips
    Ham slices with mac 'n cheese
    Breakfast tortilla bar
    Quesadillas
    Baked potatoes and steak tips (need to mic the potatoes then finish in the oven)

We stock up on fruits/vegetables so each meal is rounded out. For breakfast and snacks, we have yogurt, granola bars, bagels, fruit, cheeses, chicken nuggets, crackers, Push Ups, ice cream bars, etc.....

5. littlbugmom

littlbugmom DIS Veteran

Forgot to answer your second question......

As the previous poster said, there are soooo many choices in that area. We don't typically eat out except in the parks, though. We try to do one meal in the parks every day and the rest of our meals in the condo.
    However, we did stop at IHOP once and another time at Bob Evans. I can't remember why we did that. LoL!

6. Accident

Accident DIS Veteran

Anything from the deli at publix, especially if you dont' live near a publix. Fried Chicken, roasted chicken but a lot of premade stuff. Publix doesnt' play aroudn and even has meal specials with rolls and sides.. They also have some really easy to cook from the room premades that aren't prepackaged. you'll find those things around the deli but also in the meat and fish section. Made by them and they are quick toss in the oven without removing from the bag meals. all different options there and if you have something you really like they will even make one for you just tell them the flavors you want.

If your up for a small drive (20ish minutes from edge of property), check our 4rivers. Small BBQ chain only found in the area and their food is amazing and the sides are worth calling all your friends to listen to you eat them. Closest location recently opened and is in kissmmee nearish to st cloud. the rest are further north in the winter garden area which is also a great town with a lot of great places to eat but that'll be out of your way..

I like the restaurants in celebration but if this offsite is to save money, that won't help you eating there but I like the food a lot better than disney. If you do go, town tavern and columbia would be the 2 I recommend the most there but they have a few others and none are really a bad choice.

For a great breakfast or lunch (they close at 2) check out hollar & dash also in celebration but this is on the edge of town next to the disney executive buildings. They are a biscuit house and it's amazing. Their first florida location and they don't have too many other locations..

but as mentioned, you can find just about anything you want on 192 very close by. An interesting thing with the area is everyone is fighting for tourist dollars so most places you cant' cook what they are serving you for anywhere near the same price. not everywhere but a lot of places are a like that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. BigredNole

BigredNole DIS Veteran

Crockpots make for easy meals. They cook while you are away if you have a good one. Every single restaurant will be cheaper than Disney. The advantage of a place with a full kitchen is that you can do it on the cheap. Breakfasts can be quick grab and go fare: bagels, fruit, OJ, etc. You can make your own lunches and pack them in a backpack cooler. Dinners at the house/villa/condo. There are quite a few places that have grab and go dinners. The Publix deli has chicken ready to go.

8. DisFanJen

DisFanJen Disney Phreak

As to cheap easing out, it's not necessarily that close but the Crossroads Mall is right by one of the entrances into WDW property and not far from the Orlando Premium Outlets and they have a Sweet Tomatoes which is both cheap and a has good range of healthier options than you usually get when eating out cheaply...

Accident likes this.
  9. glassslippergirl

glassslippergirl DIS Veteran

I second the Publix deli. You can get quality Boar's Head deli meats to make a fast meal of sandwiches or chef's salad. In the deli, they have a lot of ready-made hot food. I love the hot n spicy wings (not really spicy at all), rotisserie chicken in various marinades, mojo pork. There's hot and cold sides, and the subs are the best! Save time by ordering online rather than waiting in line at the deli. Once you're at your hotel, look up on the Internet Publix online easy ordering. Let the GPS choose the closest Publix to you and schedule your order. It will be ready in a special hot or cold case with your name on it when you get there. We use this service sometimes to get subs quickly on the way to a park (especially Legoland where the food is universally bad) or to get a quick dinner on the way to the hotel. For dessert, pick up some Publix premium ice cream. Yum!

Accident likes this.
  10. J.C.&ALI'SMOM

J.C.&ALI'SMOM I really had to bite my tongue on that one.

Millers Ale House. There is one on 192 and one near the Disney Springs area. They are a FL based chain. Good food great prices.

Giordanos Pizza. Chicago style deep dish. We love it.

There are just about every chain you can think of around the edges of WDW property.

We have rented a house at Reunion. Couple of times and we also enjoy going to Publix. Their deli is great. We bought several subs and took them to MK with us for lunch. Ordered a couple of nachos platters, loaded them up at the fixings bar, and drinks at Pecos Bills. Had a great lunch for 6 of us.

11. TwoMisfits

TwoMisfits DIS Veteran

Buy bacon, rotisserie chicken, cheese (shredded cheddar is what I buy), peanut butter, fruit preserves, bread, eggs, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, butter, fresh fruit of all kinds (apples and bananas especially), milk, juice, vanilla ice cream (this is a must), plain or vanilla yogurt, nuts, cereal, and sugar and/or honey and chocolate sauce, with ziplocs...and preferred junk food (chips) and deli meat or frozen pizza/nuggets if you like them...and of course, your coffee, soda, water beverage park needs:))...

Precook 2 lbs of bacon your 1st night and put in ziplocs in the fridge. Use it to make BLTs, Club sandwiches (chicken with the bacon is sublime), bacon and eggs, and PB, Banana, and Bacon sandwiches (Elvis will be happy). Use the eggs all week to make scrambled eggs, fried eggs, cheesy omelettes, french toast with a fresh banana compote on top, egg salad, etc. Use the bananas in PB/choco/banana smoothies, fresh fruit and juice smoothies, as a fresh fruit brought to the parks, on banana splits, in PB and banana sandwiches, in your yogurt, cut up in your cereal, etc. Use the nuts in your yogurt, as part of a park trail mix, as a topping for peanut butter dipped apples, as a salad topping (if you bought dressing to use on your lettuce/tomato wedge salad:)).

We live on different smoothies and different sandwiches with fruit and chips almost all week. When I get back from the parks, I have a smoothie running in 2 minutes so everyone can have something cold that will rehydrate them (and it almost always has banana to get potassium back up). This also takes the edge off appetites and sometimes even fills up the smallest of our appetite folks (who have been known to just have a sliced apple with PB as their "meal" after their smoothie)...

I have used fruit preserves/honey/chocolate syrup/ice cream to sweeten the smoothies and they always have at least 2 fruits or 1 fruit and 1 protein (PB banana with milk and chocolate and lots of ice is a favorite - 3 bananas for one blender-full:))...

12. krrrristen

krrrristen Mouseketeer

This. 4rivers is delicious. I know people who have literally had their weddings catered by them. You can take Osceola Parkway all the way to the Kissimmee location, but there is one toll.

Accident likes this.
  13. Accident

Accident DIS Veteran

Just to note, the deli section will also deliver for those days your just lounging around any maybe want a hot lunch from there. not sure how long it takes but i've used it at home (I work at home) when I realized I wasn't going to be in the mood to make dinner and couldn't get the time to run over to pick it up myself.

14. jsmla

jsmla DIS Veteran

I drive and bring pre-made frozen home cooked meals and a crockpot for easy dinners. If you're flying and planning on doing much meal prep bring your spices from home. They weigh next to nothing and buying them once there can get pricey very quickly.

I bring anything that works in a crock pot-gumbo, bolognese, taco meat, etc. Crockpot liners make for easy clean up.

halfpintpeggy likes this.
  15. BadgerGirl84

BadgerGirl84 I used to have a tag...

This is not by Windsor Hills though. FYI.

16. BadgerGirl84

BadgerGirl84 I used to have a tag...

We have stayed in the Windsor Hills area a lot.

Our favorite cheap places to eat that are very close by (all on 192) are the Orlando Ale House, Chick FIL A (we don't have a local one buy our house so it's fun to go there on vacation) and Chuy's for Tex Mex. You can get a combo plate and easily split it between two people if you are really pinching pennies.

17. HeatherC

HeatherC <font color=blue>Alas...these people I live with t

Also...Steak and Shake...burgers and fries for $3.99 and yummy shakes.

Sweet Tomatoes...sign up in their website for coupons.

Cicii's Pizza...never been but heard it's very cheap. Not great pizza though I guess.

Dennys...decent diner food

Sometimes we also order pickup from like Applebees or Fridays on the way back from the parks.

And my fave...a loaf of good bread, cheese and a bottle of wine.

18. TamaraQT

TamaraQT DIS Veteran

For Pizza my family and I love FLIPPERS. I believe they do deliver to Windsor Hills...If not it is a VERY short drive. !!!! It's in the same strip mall with SuperTarget. By the way, you will be near the PUBLIX at Orange Lake, SuperTarget, and PUBLIX at Celebration. I also get some hot foods from Walmart. My kids like Walmart Boneless Chicken Wings/Bites. Sometimes I make sloppy joes. My kids like making their own deli sandwiches so I buy a few pounds of deli meat and cheese. Its almost a tradition of theirs to have a sandwich with potato chips for breakfast on the balcony. I don't know what that fascination is about but they do it a few times. I like having a kitchen because it gives us the OPTION to eat in if we want. Nothing like having a full size fridge for snacks, drinks, ice-cream, and other stuff. It also comes in handy for storing leftovers we bring back from restaurants.

19. lindsay0526

lindsay0526 Earning My Ears

Just a word of advice for staying offsite and driving from WH. The days that you plan to go to MK, just plan on spending the whole day there. It takes a lot of time to drive to MK (its the farthest north from WH), and then MK takes the longest to get into the park (because you have to take the ferry or the monorail). I would say from WH to the turnstiles at MK will take you 45-60 minutes. Instead that day, maybe you leave the park and take a monorail to one of the resorts and have a meal there. You get out of the hustle and bustle of the parks without actually having to get into your car and drive anywhere.

Windsor Hills Orlando likes this.