Questions on cabin choice

MeghanNRileysMom

Mouseketeer
Hi! We're planning to book an Eastern cruise for Jan 08, as soon as they open up for booking. Our plan is a Cat 5/6 and a Cat 11 across the hall for my mom. She's not in a wheelchair, however, the grab bars and other mobility assistance accessories in a handicap room would be a huge help as she has quite a few mobility issues and is on oxygen only at night. Are these rooms only available for wheelchair bound persons or would it be possible to book one of these for my mom?

Another question I haven't seemed to be able to find an answer to, is what is the difference between a Cat 5 and a Cat 6, is it just the deck choice? Do the balconies REALLY make the cost worth it? We only had a partially obstructed porthole on the Grand Princess, however, the cabin was SMALL! LOL

How is the motion/noise in the aft cabins? We've only been on one other cruise and we were about midship.

Thank you in advance, the information I've received here is priceless!

ANYONE can book the handicap room.. It's a good thing you're planning early as these rooms are limited. Lots of people here rave about deck 7, but you could save some money on deck six. Category 7 with a verrandah with a "porthole" view is close th to some of the handicap rooms.

Have you considered the deck six, category 8 rooms with windows? there are two handicap rooms forward. Your family could get a category 8 a few doors down.

We stayed in category 9 and enjoyed the space -- plenty for two adults and two kids. We did not miss a verrandah..and were glad to save the money as we have 3 kids and had to purchase adjoining cabins (connecting were not availalbe when we booked.) I think you'll be pleased with the size of the cabins, the split bath and the storage space.

Is anyone else traveling in her cabin? If not be aware the rate for 1 person is 175%.

I would price out everything using 2007 as a guide and know exactly what you want when it opens up. That way you'll be more likely to get your choices.

January is a great time to cruise. Enjoy!

I agree with the previous poster. It would be wonderful to have a balcony but there are about $1,000 more than the oceanview Cat 8 or 9. We loved the Cat 8 and we've been on Deck 6 and 7. It was roomy and bright. We weren't really in the room all that much and used the savings on excursions, pictures, drinks. It worked out much better for us. There aren't many of the Category 8 rooms on the higher decks so book early!

Just wanted to clarify something a PP mentioned.

Yes, anyone can book a handicapped accessible room, but Inventory Control requires a doctor's certificate of need to finalize the room assignment.

As an occupational therapist, I'd like to make a few suggestions that might help if you are unable to book the handicapped room.

First, if you want to go with the category 11 room, I would bring along two pieces of equipment: a detachable tub rail, and a raised toilet seat. I can't provide a link since I'm "still earning my ears", but if you PM me I will be happy to help. Both of these items are able to be clipped on and easily removed without any damage. They'd fit in a suitcase fairly easily, but not much else would fit in there with them.

Second, if you're concerned about her standing up in the shower, you could add a small shower seat to the suitcase.

Third, you could always use the health club shower which I believe is a walk-in, and just both go in with a bathing suit.

Hope that helps at least a little bit.

Wanted to add that if you don't go with the accessible stateroom, you may want to stay with a cat. 11 or 12 which does NOT have the split bath. The design of the split bath can be more challeging for someone with limited mobility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!