Questions new to DVC

Bronte

DIS Veteran
Ok we just got back from Disney and we bought into DVC.
It has not been 10 days so we can still opt out.
I see here on the disboards some people buy resale (did not know) and it looks like a great deal if all you want is DisneyWorld.
When I called my agent with Disney I got a very different response.
He said I was praying on the misfortune of others.
He said I would never have a Disney agent (I would have to make all my reservations through whom ever I bought my resale through, Fidelity is one we are looking at.)
He said that I could only use those points for the 7 DVC Disney locations ... No Hawaii, no new GF when it opens, no world passport collections, etc ...
He also said even after closing I could find out there are no points and fees back dated for up to three years that I would have to pay.

I am scared ... I want the best deal but I am not sure if I am getting all the facts.

You have either misunderstood your guide, or he is lying, or he is incompetent,

You will get a guide if you by resale. You won't need one, guides are simply salespeople and most of us don't talk to ours once the purchase is completed unless they call us to try and sell us more points,

You can use points at any DVC resort buying resale, including Hawaii. What you can't use your points for is the Disney collection hotels and disney cruises. Since those don't tend to be a good deal on points anyway, and because those are non-contractual perks that could be removed from everyone at any time, I wouldn't let that sway you.

I'd look at other resellers as well and do some searching around here on reseller customer service.

Oh, as long as Im ranting, misfortunes of others? For some reason, the person selling their points needs to sell them. Maybe it's misfortune, maybe they just don't want them any more. But if they don't get bought, that doesn't make their misfortune go away, it probably increases it. What happens if I need to sell my points and can't. It isn't like I can suddenly afford my loan or my dues or trips because you don't buy my points.

Dump the direct purchase as soon as you can. Read up here and find out more about resales and save yourself a bunch money. I agree with Crisi about your guide. They are just salespeople and he is set to lose his commission if you cancel your purchase. He's talking about his misfortune, not some poor person who is trying to get rid of their points. Boo hoo. :sad:

I think I'd go as far as to say the guide is lying because all of those points are meant to scare away from resale and all are incorrect.

• Misfortune of others? Maybe you will be a savior b/c they are no longer going to visit Disney and do not need the timeshare anymore. No misfortune, just a change of times. Even if a person has lost a job and cannot afford the MF's they need to be able to get out of the contract and resale is usually the best way.
  • Disney agent? Nobody, even direct purchasers, have one agent that they call to book reservations. All members either book thru member service or via online.
  • You also can book at any DVC resort that is part of the collection and has availability which includes Hawaii, Vero Beach, Grand Californian and Hilton Head.
  • With resale a title agency is used and money is escrowed. DVC also during the ROFR process checks the points. The chances of points being different than what is in the sales contract is sooooooo remote that I couldn't even guess how small the odds are.

I'd cancel this purchase immediately and do more research. You've found a great resource on the DIS boards. And if you do end up deciding on direct request a new guide. This one is not truthful with you. Or, if by some teeny tiny small chance they are that uninformed you still need a different one who knows a bit more about what they are selling. FYI - I've bought both resale and direct. If I were buying today it would be all resale.

You could also ask the guide how he feels about his preying on someone who doesn't have complete information about DVC? It's okay for him to be a predator, I guess.

Another point is, I don't think you mentioned which resort you bought direct, but Disney is only selling a couple at this time.

They might not be the best match for your tastes or vacation needs.

If you look into resales, your universe opens to all the DVC resorts, not just what Disney is pushing currently. You might find you like the ambiance at OKW or the location or BCV. With a resale, you can make your home resort decision from all the DVC resorts, if you take the time to research them.

Good luck.

Sounds like a desperate guide. If you do buy direct (which I will never do again), I would ask for a new guide.

Thanks for all the great replies ... I do feel better now and do think we will get away from the direct sale.
We had bought into AKV and BLT but it was because that was all he had that day. We had gone to the open house hopeful for SSR but it was sold out.

As far as resale are there better companies to use? How can we reasurch this topic ?? We were thinking about using fidelity ...

Thanks !!!!

There is a big ad at the top of this board, you MIT want to peek there. An Internet search will come up with a few more. And searching this site for fidelity might clue you in to why I'd look st other resellers.

Thanks for all the great replies ... I do feel better now and do think we will get away from the direct sale.
We had bought into AKV and BLT but it was because that was all he had that day. We had gone to the open house hopeful for SSR but it was sold out.

As far as resale are there better companies to use? How can we reasurch this topic ?? We were thinking about using fidelity ...

Thanks !!!!

I just bought resale via Fidelity and can't say enough about them or the title company. Everything was very quick and our points were in the Disney system only 7 days after closing! Rachel was our agent and was fantastic!

You will find great resale deals for SSR at a fraction of the price you are paying for resorts you don't really want. I am saddened to hear that DVD guides have stooped to this level. My guide was excellent, there was no hard sales pitch and I don't think he bent the truth at all.
Deb was right, Dump the direct purchase ASAP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!