Questions for early Alaskan cruisers!

great thread! i'm subbing.. first cruise, first to alaska, first dcl... kimmysue, we're on the same cruise as you... can't wait to hear about all the details... charlene... i'm so jealous! how amazing your views!!good grief, you can't dream up views like that! thanks for sharing:thumbsup2

Another one -
Did they get the ipod dock clocks yet? Do they illuminate so you can see the time in the dark?

According to Deb Wills Disney has permission to only do the inside passage going South for the first year. She stated that this is true for all first time lines cruising there. Since it it dark as the ships are traveling north they want the ships to sail it in daytime for the first year.

So they are doing outside on the way up and inside on the way back. Sounds like it makes for a rockier first day but I'll just be happy to be on the ship. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I think seeing the pools rocking like that is going to be fun - just looking at it as another adventure! lol.
Only wish we could bring our innertubes and ride the waves! lol

Since it it dark as the ships are traveling north they want the ships to sail it in daytime for the first year.

Pardon me if I'm dense, but I recall it being dark in the Inside Passage coming back from Alaska (south) as well. (Since the ship sails through the night to get back to Vancouver by early morning). Kinda doesn't make sense to me, and I'm getting the feeling DCL reps don't really have the answers either. :confused:

According to Deb Wills Disney has permission to only do the inside passage going South for the first year. She stated that this is true for all first time lines cruising there. Since it it dark as the ships are traveling north they want the ships to sail it in daytime for the first year.

So they are doing outside on the way up and inside on the way back. Sounds like it makes for a rockier first day but I'll just be happy to be on the ship. :)

Thank you for the information. Disappointing, though, since from what I have read it is really quite rough the way they are going and I booked an IP route b/c we have motion sickness issues. :sad2:

Pardon me if I'm dense, but I recall it being dark in the Inside Passage coming back from Alaska (south) as well. (Since the ship sails through the night to get back to Vancouver by early morning). Kinda doesn't make sense to me, and I'm getting the feeling DCL reps don't really have the answers either. :confused:

I was thinking the same thing -- since the ship will dock in Vancouver in the early morning, won't it be dark when it goes through the IP on the return?

I just want photos .... lots ... and lots of photos :laughing:

Also curious about the impact of temperatures on deck. Even in the Caribbean, with the breeze, it can be chilly. My family would love to sail Alaska, but my mother is a sensitive tropical (ex-New York) flower! :rotfl2:

Thank you for the information. Disappointing, though, since from what I have read it is really quite rough the way they are going and I booked an IP route b/c we have motion sickness issues. :sad2:

Well we won't know for sure until the Wonder heads back south. We'll just have to wait and see. Just adding to the discussion based on what I read on Facebook. :confused3

I'm hoping we get to do inside passage at least one way.

I read this on one of the trip reports....for those that have asked this question about the pool temperature....

They have been keeping the pools at 90 degrees so there was steam billowing from the roiling water all day! There was a misty rain almost all day and the people brave enough to walk the deck were tossed around by the pitching and rolling motion and slip-sliding on the wet deck. It was quite a show!

Well we won't know for sure until the Wonder heads back south. We'll just have to wait and see. Just adding to the discussion based on what I read on Facebook. :confused3

I'm hoping we get to do inside passage at least one way.

WDWLVR -- I'm thankful that you added in the info. My disappointment is with DCL, not your post. ;)

my mother is a sensitive tropical flower! :rotfl2:

I'm a sensitive desert rat but that doesn't keep us from sailing to Alaska. Preferably in July. We do stay out of the pools. (DH sez he doesn't want to get harpooned.)

Thank you for the information.

Ugh! Thanks for the info; but I'm frustrated with that info.... I was hoping it was a fluke or something with this first cruise; now it sounds like we definately will not be going the inside passage on our way up:(.
Not only am I frustrated about the lack of scenery; but I was expecting a nice smooth sailing; not rough seas!
Their website def shows them taking the inside passage on the way up....
I agree with those that said it will be dark on the way back to Vancouver also; so I don't see how that makes since..... It actually seems like there would be more daylight and more opportunity to enjoy the scenery taking the inside passage on the way up rather than down....
I'll get over it and I know the cruise will be great either way; but I do find this frustrating at the moment....

Thanks for the explanation. I think seeing the pools rocking like that is going to be fun - just looking at it as another adventure! lol.
Only wish we could bring our innertubes and ride the waves! lol

I was thinking the same thing -- since the ship will dock in Vancouver in the early morning, won't it be dark when it goes through the IP on the return?

I posted this yesterday on the meet thread for 5/17th cruise, but will re-post here:

"I have read a LOT of posts on DIS about this since last night. I just called DCL to ask. The person I spoke with said he shows it is indeed an inside passage cruise and he had not heard anything about taking the outside route. He put me on hold to talk with a supervisor. He then returned and said that she also had not heard about the Wonder taking the outside route. He pointed out that if indeed the Captain chose to change the route for whatever necessary reasons, "we" (i.e. the department that answers calls at DCL from us when we call) would not be the ones that would be notified. He said they were going to try to get more information about what I shared is being reported on message boards (not taking the Inside Passage) and perhaps they would have more information later today.'

It would seem to me that if the explanation credited to Deb Wills is correct, DCL would have known this FOREVER ago and would not have posted an inside passage route at any time. Also, if that explanation were the reason, the DCL CMs would seem likely to know it, no?

Disclaimer: I am not discrediting anyone's explanations, especially people I don't know. I am just thinking it through "out loud."

- Dreams

I posted this yesterday on the meet thread for 5/17th cruise, but will re-post here:

"I have read a LOT of posts on DIS about this since last night. I just called DCL to ask. The person I spoke with said he shows it is indeed an inside passage cruise and he had not heard anything about taking the outside route. He put me on hold to talk with a supervisor. He then returned and said that she also had not heard about the Wonder taking the outside route. He pointed out that if indeed the Captain chose to change the route for whatever necessary reasons, "we" (i.e. the department that answers calls at DCL from us when we call) would not be the ones that would be notified. He said they were going to try to get more information about what I shared is being reported on message boards (not taking the Inside Passage) and perhaps they would have more information later today.'

It would seem to me that if the explanation credited to Deb Wills is correct, DCL would have known this FOREVER ago and would not have posted an inside passage route at any time. Also, if that explanation were the reason, the DCL CMs would seem likely to know it, no?

Disclaimer: I am not discrediting anyone's explanations, especially people I don't know. I am just thinking it through "out loud."

- Dreams

I do hope that is true. And if it is not; if indeed DCL is not "allowed" to sail inside passage north bound; it is wrong that DCL stated differently.....

What is the Alaska Castaway gift? What Alaska cruise merchandise?

Another question: What time do they open up the port for check-in???:confused:

I do hope that is true. And if it is not; if indeed DCL is not "allowed" to sail inside passage north bound; it is wrong that DCL stated differently.....

I totally agree.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter