Question To All Those Who Went To WDW Without Taking Their Kids

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
Thinking of surprising DH for our 15th Wedding Anniversary with a SHORT trip (4 Days) to WDW.

With our annual passes and these great rates how could I pass it up?

We haven't been to WDW alone since 1991 (we left our DD almost 2 at the time with grandma).

I'm one of those parents that like to let their children know what's going on in their lives, etc . . . and when I was mentioning it to my DD (almost 13) and DS (9) that I was thinking of taking a adult only trip . .. they both said NOOOOOO in unison. So, if I do decide to go, both of them are going to be pretty upset . . .we are all going as a family in November and they don't understand why I should go in October too.

For those of you who have left their children to take a short trip to WDW for your anniversary, etc, what did you kids think? Did they give you a hard time and get upset? How did you overcome the guilt??

Any opinions?

Let me preface this with- I have no children. That being said. I think you are the parent. You get to make the adult decisions, not your children. If you want to go alone with your husband than I wouldn't let the complaints of your children stop you. They will be going in November, so it isn't like you don't ever take them. If you are just overcome with guilt, tell them that they can do something special (that you were not already planning on doing) on your November trip.

Well, I tried to do the same thing and I gave in to the kids. But, we had the best trip ever!! They understood they were tagging along and went out of their way to be soooooooooo good. It did end up being a special trip. I think you should do whatever makes you happy!! Laurie :D

Who pays the bills in your household? Who is the adult?
Kids that get their way all the time are known as "SPOILED" .
JMHO

By the way, yes I have gone without my kids and they didin't like it either, but gee, they got to go 2 months later, so what if I went without them!

Of course they get upset. My DD is 23 and my son is 21 and they love going to WDW with Mom and Dad. As my son says he follows the wallet. Seriously, they love being with us and we have a grand time together. We have taken them almost 20 times but it doesn’t matter - it’s Disney and they want to come too!

Last year I planned a WDW trip with a cruise for just my hub and I. I told my daughter that I was taking dad away. I didn’t tell her where we were going but she said “ well so long as it’s not Disney you can go”. I wouldn’t tell her and kept the secret until I told him about a month before we left. She got over it. We had a wonderful time with no kids.

The secret to a happy married life is at least one weekend away every six months. I try to do it once a year. You deserve some adult time. They’ll get over it. Tell them your on a scouting mission to make sure all is perfect when they go in November. They won’t like that either but you know, too bad ….go and do all the stuff as a couple. Romantic restaurants, sitting and people watching, a night at Pleasure Island. You’ll fall in love all over again!

Have a blast

denise

We have gone w/o the kids twice. They want to go but have been good about it. We are in DVC and the next familt trip or two (or 3 the way Zurgswife plans things) is always in the works so they know they are going again fairly soon.

We were there w/o kids 9/11. We were scheduled to fly back 9/12. They were real upset and so were we that we were not there with them thorough the stress. Being kids with no real feel for time they thought we were on the planes.

Anyway back to the topic, Go have fun. Let the kids know when they are going back again and that will lessen the sting. Call and or email back a lot.

My DW and I went to WDW last year by ourselves. We had a GREAT time! Our 9 YO DD was mad when she saw the photo's of us in MK, but she got over it.:rolleyes: You two NEED time alone!;)

I guess that we are mean, but............we just flat out told her that Mommy and Daddy need private time together and that was it.

We had the best time, no worries about anything other than ourselves. Be sure and go to Jellyrolls - you'll love it!

I agree with the "who is the parent?" theory. ;) You guys were a couple before you became parents. Your relationship is important and you need time alone. Where you choose to spend that time is up to you, not the kids.
We recently went to WDW for a day and then on a Disney cruise without our kids(5.5 & 2.5). They were thrilled to be staying with Grandma(thats a vacation in itself), but they are also thrilled to be going to WDW in August with us(we also went last year and the year before with them). I wouldnt advocate taking off from your kids all the time and never taking them anywhere, but it doesnt sound like thats what you are talking about.
Go, and have a great time! Oh and I second JohnT Bap's advice...go to Jellyrolls. We had a ball there, and its something we can never do with the kids. :)

They will get over it quickly. Ours did at 11,10 and 2. They understand that mom and dad need some away time just as much as they need away time. My wife and I stayed at Dixie Landings for a long weekend and had a wonderful time. Did a very romantic Fantasy in The Sky Fireworks cruise. Wonderful romantic dinners and Pleasure Island (Comedy Club, Jazz Club, Adventurers Club and 8 Tracks). There is nothing wrong at all with going at it alone so go ahead and enjoy.

I just booked a trip to Jamaica for my birthday in October for just DW and myself. I got the AWWWWW from the kids but they know they are staying over friends houses and there will be a vacation for them next summer. :) :) :)

Adam aka Big Dude

Dh & I are just celebrated our 15th anniversary. The DVC was an anniv. gift actually. We are discussing taking a trip alone in December & I'm feeling a bit guilty about not taking the kids also, but my kids who are 13, 13 & 6 seem to be ok with it. They know we have a big family trip in Feb. DH & I haven't gone anywhere alone since our twins were born in 4/89. I think we're due, so I'm hoping it works out that we'll be able to go. I think you should go and I'm sure you'll be glad that you did!

DH and I have gone on numerous trips alone over the last 12 years.
On one particular trip when my DD was moping, I asked her "When you and your future husband go away together, are you going to take me??" She said "No". I said "Good, then I don't feel guilty!"
biggrin.gif

You two go on this trip together, have a great time and DO NOT feel guilty!

You have to do what is right for you, but.....

We would never go to WDW without the kids. DH and I would spend the entire time saying how much our kids would have liked to see this or do that. We take them with us whenever we go on vacation, regardless of where we go.

I am uncomfortable leaving them also, I want them to be with us.

We did go with another family, and we switched off taking time as a couple while the others watched the kids. This is just what has worked for us.

I agree with the posters who said you are the parent, you make the decision, the kids will adjust. Just think about it and make sure it is what is right for you! :D :D :D

I think you've gotten some good advice. Go and enjoy yourselves. Try some of the things you can't do with kids in tow. :) The kids will get over it. ;)

The last two years we have managed to get all three kids off to various camps. clinics, or the National Scout Jamboree and then made short trips by ourselves. We have had great times. Our kids thought we were funny but were happy for us. They have been so many times that missing a trip did not bother them.

If you can try Victoria & Alberts for dinner. It is my DW and mine favorite place for an anniversary.

Have fun.

First of all, I have a question. I read all your trip reports, but didn't you post on the Family board that your daughter didn't really enjoy herself and wasn't looking forward to going back? I'm just curious because I wasn't sure how old your kids were when I was reading your reports.

I'm one of those people who are all for taking a trip without the kids, but Disney World would be hard because my son loves it and we don't get there very often. However, you are going in November-right? So, I could probably live with not taking them.

Out of curiousity, why is your daughter objecting?

Pnelson - My daughter did have her moments of where she hated waiting for the parades and fireworks . . .but she did have a good vacation all in all. . .It's those teenage mood swings . . .happy, sad and cranky all at the same time . . .after returning home from our last trip we sat down with her and explained that if she didn't want to return with us on November 30th, that she could stay with her grandparents and we'd go anyway . . .well, after that, she completely did a 100% turnaround . . .See, for our November 30th trip airline tickets and AP's and MVMCP tix are already paid for . . .so I'm not losing out on that money. I believe I posted it on the Teen Disney Board to get other teens advice . . .

To everyone else who posted . . .Thank You . . .great advice . . .all I can say is I'm thinking about it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter