Question regarding alcohol at hotel pools.

MDH

The Dude
I have a question regarding bringing your own alcohol to the pool area. When we were there in January, we did just that, my wife and I each brought a cooler down, the attendant said "here let me pour that in a glass for you" and then we enjoyed it by the pool. For our August trip upcoming, I decided to rent a cabana to help keep us out of the sun a bit. After reserving the cabana I asked about the policy on bringing your own alcohol and was told that only drinks puchased at the hotel gift store would be allowed in. Two questions I guess:

1. Has the policy changed since I was there? Or is this one of those policies that exists but really isn't enforced.

2. Are drinks purchased at the hotel gift shops marked in some way that they could be differentiated?

Thanks. The cabanas have a fridge in them, so it sure would be nice to store a few cold drinks in there to enjoy throughout the day :)

At one time glass bottles were not allowed to be brought in to the pool area

No idea if that has changed

Policy should be listed on the website
If it isn’t, give the hotel a call so you know in advance

Perhaps I should not admit this, but I generally bring my own little, soft-sided cooler with a couple of my personal favorite beers down to the pool. I buy my first beer from the Bula Bar, then discreetly refill the cup with my own beer as needed.

Last edited:
My son took his own beer down to the pool at HRH last year. They told him that he couldn't have it there- but they bought him the first round!

Noticed a sign on the ‘inside’ of the pool area recently indicating no alcoholic beverages were permitted beyond thegate. Not sure if that was existing policy or not. You see lots of open containers at the resort.

As for bringing down beer to the pool & cabanas, they likely consider it the same as most restaurants = no outside food or beverage rule.

That said there is a big difference between bringing down “a” drink per person in a can (no bottles) vs a cooler full of them.

The servers likely depend on a certain $ amount of automatic gratuties associated with beverage purchases:confused3.

I don't drink beer but usually bring down a 20oz bottle of Coke half filled with Captain Morgan. Lasts me a good amount of time then i usually buy a drink or two there.

I think as long as you don’t have glass bottles, you will be fine with what you take to the pool with you

So could I bring a 2 liter of ginger ale, half filled with Captain Morgan, and tell the pool waitress that I bought it at the HRH gift shop?

So could I bring a 2 liter of ginger ale, half filled with Captain Morgan, and tell the pool waitress that I bought it at the HRH gift shop?

I wouldn't say anything at all. In the event they asked then i would say it was bought at the gift shop... Will that fly who knows, but I operator under the don't ask don't tell policy. Worst case, they make you toss it or bring it back to the room.

I wouldn't say anything at all. In the event they asked then i would say it was bought at the gift shop... Will that fly who knows, but I operator under the don't ask don't tell policy. Worst case, they make you toss it or bring it back to the room.

Yeah probably pressing my luck. Will instead bring the Mega Yeti and call it a day.

At the Poly they didn’t want you within like four feet of the pool’s edge with a drink but that’s the only thing I had anyone tell me. Pretty sure no glass - I was drinking a margarita from the bar which was in a plastic cup and also brought in those little wine cups from Capt Cooks.
There’s no way they could tell if you got it from the gift shop and I’m pretty sure they don’t care as long as you’re not getting crazy or bringing glass in. Have fun :)

At the Poly they didn’t want you within like four feet of the pool’s edge with a drink but that’s the only thing I had anyone tell me. Pretty sure no glass - I was drinking a margarita from the bar which was in a plastic cup and also brought in those little wine cups from Capt Cooks.
There’s no way they could tell if you got it from the gift shop and I’m pretty sure they don’t care as long as you’re not getting crazy or bringing glass in. Have fun :)
I have no idea what Disney policies are but at the universal hotel pools, signage is up for what is allowed

Plastic and paper are what most of us see around the pool areas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter