Question On International Travel and Epilepsy

figmentfan2009

Mouseketeer
It has been a rough 2010... I haven't been on and I owe a really killer trip report on Germany Christmas... Complete with links to tons of pictures...

I'm sorry...

I have a question which, if you would rather PM me, I would TOTALLY understand... but...

I need to know if there are any limitations on international travel (ABD or "normal" travel) when you are diagnosed with epilepsy... Those of you with whom we've traveled... Amanda has a new diagnosis which hits a 15 year old hard and I need to know in advance of July 23rd Italy trip if anyone knows anything that I need to be aware of other than all of the things we are learning now...

Thanks in advance for any help and if anyone is traveling to Italy on that trip let me know... with luck we will actually make it!

Thanks.

FigmentFan! It was good to hear from you again--and we look forward to your report, but first things first! My oldest daughter (not on our Christmas trip) has epilepsy (since birth--also developmentally disabled, all part of the same incident). It is controlled by medication, and we have not encountered an issue with her flying in the US. She has not taken any overseas flights, however--so I don't know if there are airline limitations (I would not believe so). As far as I know she never had an episode while on the plane--although it is possible she had small ones (petite not grand mal, or maybe more focal). From what I know, my daughter is most likely to have a seizure of some sort when she lacks sleep--there are those who may have a seizure with blacklights, or disco lights/stobe lights--but I have heard that stimulus is OK (my daughter loves roller coasters, for example--seems to energize her). Feel free to IM me--I hope you guys are doing OK and that your Italy trip will be fantastic!

FigmentFan! I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis. I'm sure you'll all learn to deal with it, but that must be hard. I'm afraid I don't know anything about traveling with epilepsy, but I just wanted to say that I really hope it turns out that you can all travel OK. I'm sure you guys really *need* this vacation!

:hug:

Sayhello

My mother is epileptic (has been for about 40 years now), and she goes to London every year. She's had no problems whatsoever with flying and there are no restrictions for epileptics. I would just make sure that your daughter's seizures are well-controlled before you board a long flight. While I'm used to seizures because of my mother's condition and my husband's diabetes (he tends to seize if he has a rapid drop in blood sugar), someone else might not be and, in an attempt to help, might cause injury to your daughter.

Case in point - I worked at a restaurant where we had a server who was epileptic. She had a grand mal seizure on the floor and the assistant manager (who knew nothing about dealing with seizures) tried to lay on top of her to stop the seizure. I was bartending and had to hop over the bar so I could push him off of her and she could complete her seizure, but she ended up with a broken wrist due to the AM kneeling on her arm. The AM said he felt something snap when he knelt on her arm, but thought it had something to do with her seizure and nothing to do with the fact that he was a 250lb man that slammed his knee on a 100lb woman's arm...

Figment Fan, I am so sorry the year has started in a difficult fashion for your family. I hope you are able to learn what you need to know to help your daughter. I don't know anything about your question. I just wanted to offer support and say I am glad to see you post here again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter