Question for those who cruised after 1/30/10

Max02215

Earning My Ears
How was the bug/gnats/noceum situation on Castaway Cay? I've looked on the boards, but haven't seen anything. we were there on 1/29, and it was pretty bad. Just curious. Thanks.

Wow, that's very interesting! We were there on the 1/31 sailing (so it would have been on 2/2), and I noticed NO bugs at all - nothing - notta - not even a single solitary time. I wonder why there would have been such a big difference in just a few days' time?

Wow, that's very interesting! We were there on the 1/31 sailing (so it would have been on 2/2), and I noticed NO bugs at all - nothing - notta - not even a single solitary time. I wonder why there would have been such a big difference in just a few days' time?

they hatch all at once....and die fast

We were also on the 1/31 and didn't see a single one. Sorry you had so many.

we were at Castaway Cay on 2/5 (1/30 - 2/6 Eastern Magic), and we noticed no bugs of any sort... nothing at all, and my family and I were on the island between 10 AM - 4 PM.

We were also on CC on Jan. 29th and as stated before the bugs were horrendous that day. Here is a link to the thread talking about it: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2385694

It has been almost two weeks now and my wife and I are still dealing with the bites. They have bothered my wife especially bad and she has been on benadryl since the cruise ended and breaks out into welts on her legs and itches like crazy if she does not use the medicine. Thankfully, the bites seem to be slowly getting better.

My opinion is that the reason they were so bad that day had mostly to do with the weather. Jan. 29th was a beautiful day. Sunny, warm and pretty much a calm wind or very slight breeze at best. I think the lack of wind allowed the little critters to pretty much go where they wanted. Generally it is much more breezy on the island and I think that keeps the bugs in check.

Here's hoping for a bug free day for everyone else!!!!

Can't answer your question other than to say that crewmembers have said the bugs at night are unbelieveable year round, which is why they would never have passengers overnight there.
But bugs are bad almost anywhere it is warm and humid. I know in my travels to Hawaii, Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Georgia and Flordia, there were a whole lot more bugs than I am used to at home. Hawaii was off the chart in both the numbers, and the size of bugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter