Question for Tech Saavy People

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
Here's a scenario:

A parent finds inappropriate text messages on their child's phone. The sender denies sending the messages and thinks someone must have hacked into their phone number and impersonated them to send the messages.

How easy/difficult would it be for someone to do that? Would they have to have access to the sender's phone, or would they just need to know the number?

Here's a scenario:

A parent finds inappropriate text messages on their child's phone. The sender denies sending the messages and thinks someone must have hacked into their phone number and impersonated them to send the messages.

How easy/difficult would it be for someone to do that? Would they have to have access to the sender's phone, or would they just need to know the number?

The fact that the "sender" "created a vague story" suggests they are lying. I would not believe them.

That being said, anything can be hacked or someone could have used the senders phone, which would be a more likely scenario.

You can send text messages via computer. Perhaps someone else can fill you in on that since I am not super tech savvy.

SMS "spoofing" isn't easy but probably possible for a good hacker-type person. It's possible, but not probable.

Do you know who received the messages? I'd go fishing for a name. That may help solve your mystery. ;)
Seriously... text something like "was it yellow?" and when they reply to ask what you are talking about respond with "huh? weird! who this?"

Obviously, I have experience. Most likely the sender was the owner of said phone and does not want to own up. BTDT.

Kids nowadays consider "hacking" just picking up someone else's phone and either texting someone, changing the names of all their contacts or updating their social media status with some crude humor. I'm thinking that is most likely the "hacked" definition they were implying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter