Question about wheelchairs/strollers...

kleamid

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I love this board and have found so much great advice. After many years of saving we will finally be able to take the kids to DL in October. Here is my dilema...
I have a daughter who will be 8 come October. She has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. With her meds she has been doing WONDERFUL. I am worried though that ALL the walking may be too much on her in the end. Does DL rent wheelchairs or strollers? (she is very small for 8...just now has fit into size 6 pants) If so would anyone know the approx. price for them? Thanks so much!
Karen

Hi Karen -
I don't know how much the strollers & wheelchairs are, but I do know they have them. I would like to suggest you taking a break in the afternoon to go back to the hotel to swim. It will relax her and still be fun!

I had juvenille rhumatoid arthritus as a kid too. Your daughters case sounds harder than mine was, but I hope it helps you to hear I grew out of it by the time I hit college. My knees still get swollen if I go jogging, but otherwise I forget I ever had it! I hope your daughter grows out of it early and if you haven't already, try to get her involved in a swim program. Swim team really got me through those teenage years.

Have a great time in Disneyland! We'll be there next month!

-Sally

I believe I saw a post earlier that said manual wheelchairs are $8 plus refundable deposit. ($10) I expect standard strollers are similarly priced.

The disABILITIES board mentions an intersting device that is a cross between a wheelchair and stroller that is available at WDW but I don't know if its available at DL.

Hi Karen, I have a daughter with JRA as well! She just turned 12 and is doing fine, but as you have said, I too am worried about all the walking. Our plan is to focus on doing one area at a time, rather than to hop back and forth between rides. This may cause us to encounter longer lines, but I think she'll be happier with less walking. I've told her that we could get a stroller/wheelchair if she needed it, but because of her age, this will be her decision. That said, I know she'll be more concerned with how she feels than how she may look sitting in a stroller or wheelchair!

As with other holidays we've done, the structure of the days will be based on her comfort. If she needs a break, we'll head back to the hotel for a rest or check out on of the shows so she can sit for awhile. If she feels like going on, we'll go on!

Sleeping is another thing that sometimes causes trouble for my daughter and so we've invested in a special topper for her mattress. It's a bit troublesome to take with us on the plane, but it's soo worth it for her to have a restful sleep! We try and make her 'away from home sleeps' as similar as possible to home. I'm sure she'll be making great use of the hot tub before bed as well, she always does this after she's had a busy day or ball practice or whatever. She says it helps her sleep better.

We're heading down next month so I will let you know how it goes if you like!
Enjoy your trip! :flower:

Strollers and wheelchairs are the same price $8 per day. wheelchair has a $20 deposit, stroller does not. You can get a pass at Guest services to help on some rides. I would rent a wheelchair instead of a stroller because they will let you take a wheelchair in most lines, whereas a stroller they will not. However if you think your daughter will be doing most of the walking a stroller may be easier to push around empty.

You can take the strollers and wheelchairs back and forth between the two parks easily.

I just wanted to say thanks for the information!!! :earboy2:
My seven year old is the one who began saving for disney when she was 3. My other daughters have to rush to the store the minute they have a nickel. The youngest has always put it in her bank for "her" trip. I am excited!!!

Luvcinderelly: please let me know how your trip w/ your daughter goes! I hope you have a TERRIFIC time.

Thanks everyone!

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter