Question about wheelchairs and buses

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
My DS will be in a wheelchair when we go to WDW due to a broken leg. We will be bringing his own wheelchair from home. My question is - will he be allowed to transfer to a regular seat on the buses? Can I just fold up his wheelchair and hang onto it? He doesn't need to be in it on the buses, but we will need it for more than just the parks, so renting a wheelchair from WDW is out. I'm just not sure about the rules with wheelchairs on buses, but I know he's rather avoid staying in the chair if he can.

My DS will be in a wheelchair when we go to WDW due to a broken leg. We will be bringing his own wheelchair from home. My question is - will he be allowed to transfer to a regular seat on the buses? Can I just fold up his wheelchair and hang onto it? He doesn't need to be in it on the buses, but we will need it for more than just the parks, so renting a wheelchair from WDW is out. I'm just not sure about the rules with wheelchairs on buses, but I know he's rather avoid staying in the chair if he can.

Yes they can load you through the back door ramp then transfer if their a seat avilabile. If their no seats the driver could call for another bus to come then you could be load then transfer just let the driver know so they can remember at your stop that your need the ramp lowered. Remember their no rules saying you can't transfer to a seat if you have an ECV they would suggest transfer to a seat for your safety.

I did my first trip in a wheelchair in May. I was able to walk short distances so we just entered through the front door and my daughter folded up my chair and brought it on like a stroller. If there were no seats, we waited for the next bus (only happened once or twice).

Some bus drivers wanted us to enter through the rear even though I didn't need the lift. In that case, we followed their instructions.

I never had a driver request that I stay in my chair. Folded up it took less room than leaving me in it - usually it took a section of three seats folded up to make room for the chair to be tied down. So if I was only taking one seat instead of three there was room for more passengers!

I did my first trip in a wheelchair in May. I was able to walk short distances so we just entered through the front door and my daughter folded up my chair and brought it on like a stroller. If there were no seats, we waited for the next bus (only happened once or twice).

Some bus drivers wanted us to enter through the rear even though I didn't need the lift. In that case, we followed their instructions.

I never had a driver request that I stay in my chair. Folded up it took less room than leaving me in it - usually it took a section of three seats folded up to make room for the chair to be tied down. So if I was only taking one seat instead of three there was room for more passengers!

Those buses with lifts are basically gone they have new low floor buses that have no sais to enter so it easy to board through the front door with a folded wheel chair. If you need the ramp it through the back door it quick then the old way so it up to you. You must had some drivers who felt bad making you carry the chair p the stairs or felt it wasn't safe that why they had you use the lift. For those old buses even if you want to transfer it safer to use the lift because the stats are narrow dark and steep. The new bus front doors and back doors are wide well light and easy to board Disney paid extra to have wide wider opening fr the door ways to make it easier to load.

My son uses a wheelchair, and we always fold it up and he sits on a regular seat. In order to stay in the wheelchair on the bus, the driver would have to raise the seats that are labeled for wheelchair use, and secure the wheelchair in place.

Thanks for all the responses! I thought it would be okay for him to transfer, but I knew I could find out for sure here. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter