Question about under 5 vaccine and OGT rate

Jhondy

Mouseketeer
It sounds like under 5 vaccines will be coming out shortly. I’m guessing once they roll out and are available for all under 5’s that Disney will update cruise policy and mandate under 5’s have to be vaccinated.

I am undecided about getting my soon to be 3 year old vaccinated (I’m not for or against it or here to debate the merits, I just have been waiting for vaccine to come out and will talk to her pediatrician about pros/cons and the pediatricians recommendation before deciding) and we are booked for a late October cruise with an OGT rate. So, that got me wondering, if in the unlikely event my daughters pediatrican recommended against getting the vaccine, would DCL refund the cruise even though it’s OGT and non-refundable because policy wasn’t in place when we booked the cruise?

I know it’s all speculation but it is something I’ve been thinking about and worried about even though I know I will more likely than not vaccinate her cause I’m guessing that’s what pediatrician will recommend. And I trust our pediatrician a lot. She has been very honest with us with lots of things even if it isn’t a popular opinion.

I think they will offer refunds in this case, but that’s my guess. I think when the 5-12 opened there were folks who canceled Too.

The past few times Disney Cruise has added vaccine requirements that would prevent some people from being able to cruise, they have given a short period during which future passengers could cancel with no penalty. There is no guarantee they will do this when/if they add a vaccine requirement for those under 5, but doing so would be consistent with their policies over the last 2 years.

I wouldn't be concerned about them making it a mandate. I have been trying to find my child a vaccine for days now and it's impossible.

Not many countries are doing vaccines for under 5 yet. I can't see DCL mandating something that's not widely available (here or around the world).

I wouldn't be concerned about them making it a mandate. I have been trying to find my child a vaccine for days now and it's impossible.

i thought the vaccines would not be available until late this week. Maybe that’s our area, metro Washington DC area. Hopefully we hear something from dcl soon.

Based on last year, I think there will be a period of time (maybe at least 10-12 weeks) until DCL makes the vaccination a requirement for the little ones. And when they announce a rule change they will also likely grant a "free" cancellation period where those who are booked may cancel without penalty. I would expect similar.

Not many countries are doing vaccines for under 5 yet. I can't see DCL mandating something that's not widely available (here or around the world).

They did the first couple of times. There were non-US residents who had to cancel or reschedule when vaccines for the 5-12 group were approved in the US, because DCL required them before they were available in many other countries.

And ask any Canadian who either contemplated or actually took a cruise last summer, and they will be able to tell you exactly how US-centric the vaccination requirements were at that time.

I don't know if or when DCL will require vaccines for under-5's, but if past experience is any guide, there's no reason to assume availability outside the US will be a factor.

They did the first couple of times. There were non-US residents who had to cancel or reschedule when vaccines for the 5-12 group were approved in the US, because DCL required them before they were available in many other countries.

And ask any Canadian who either contemplated or actually took a cruise last summer, and they will be able to tell you exactly how US-centric the vaccination requirements were at that time.

I don't know if or when DCL will require vaccines for under-5's, but if past experience is any guide, there's no reason to assume availability outside the US will be a factor.

I remember that too. I’ve taken 4 post covid cruises since august 2021 (with 2 more booked this year). Every single one of them have had different protocols, so it is an ever changing situation to follow.

i thought the vaccines would not be available until late this week. Maybe that’s our area, metro Washington DC area. Hopefully we hear something from dcl soon.
I'm in Florida. No websites are updated with any availability info.

That's true. Many countries only did one shot for 12 and under and excluded those kids as they were deemed unvaxxed.

I've not see any updates here either. I did read cvs would be participating. I just read the shots do start today. good luck. My youngest grandchild is 7 and he was fully vaxed during the last age group change. Perhaps your Heath department will have some helpful info.

At some point this has to stop. The uptake is this age group will be under 15%. That's kneecapping a huge portion of your customer base.
For the age group 5-11, only 29% of that population is fully vaccinated in the US. I agree it will be far less with the 6 month to 4 age group. I wonder if the cruise lines are waiting to see what demand for this vaccine is like before they require it.

Your pediatricians office should be able to advise you when they will be in. I know my pediatricians office(in Florida) has ordered the vaccines and is just waiting for them to arrive.

I imagine they will allow you to cancel even if it’s a GT rate, or at least move the sail date. People outside the US will likely not be able to get their under 4s vaccinated until several weeks after the US starts doing them. DCL has generally been flexible with changes and cancellations due to covid and related protocols. I know people say that can/will change and I expect it will eventually but given the number of GT rates (and how big some of those discounts are) I doubt DCL will do anything in the short term that will make people hesitant to book.

We asked last week at our well visit. Our is not ordering any.
Got it. I was curious and it looks like the CVS minute clinics are scheduling 18 months-4 years now. For Walgreens, Walmart, regular CVS pharmacies I think they only do vaccines over 3, so depending how old your kiddo is You can look there. Good luck!

Got it. I was curious and it looks like the CVS minute clinics are scheduling 18 months-4 years now. For Walgreens, Walmart, regular CVS pharmacies I think they only do vaccines over 3, so depending how old your kiddo is You can look there. Good luck!
Thanks! Unfortunately Minute Clinic is only offering Pfizer and we prefer Moderna. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter