Question about Space Mountain & California Screamin'

Ratpatootie

Earning My Ears
Just curious about how "jerky" these roller coasters are. I stupidly went on one here in Denver (Elitches, used to be Six Flags), and I had an instant headache when I got off, a headache and messed up back for about 5 days after. I would love to try these out, but I don't want my vacation ruined. Not sure if it was due to the fact that the roller coaster I went on sucked, or I am getting older and my body can't take what it used to. :sad1: Also, I have been on Indiana Jones and never had a problem on that, just wondering about these other 2.

TIA

I sometimes have a headache after riding Space Mountain. I think it's when I tense up too much. I usually go on it just once per vacation. That's ususally OK.

Calif Screamin' is fine for me just one time. I made the mistake of closing my eyes once - big mistake! I keep my eyes open now.

If you have problems with your back, you might want to skip these two rides. I don't think they're worth aching over.

Space Mountain - a bit jerky

Matterhorn - VERY jerky!

Screamin - haven't been on it yet, but if it's anything like Rock-n-Rollercoaster at WDW, then it's smooth and FUN!

Definitely agree that the Matterhorn is very jerky! Thought so even 23 years ago when I first rode it. I think the worst is the loading and unloading with the sleds bumping into each other just a little too hard. Still fun, though. :thumbsup2

Space Mountain is slightly jerky, California Screamin' has a few mildy jerky sections, but I think it's pretty smooth over all.

I don't consider either Space Mountain or Screamin' to be "jerky" at all. Ditto Big Thunder. The Matterhorn, however, is (especially the right side), as is Splash Mountain (in its own way).

However, if you can handle Indy (which is a rough ride by design), then I wouldn't think any of the Disney 'coasters would be a problem.

Well, I'm here in Denver with you and we're Elitches members. Was it the old wooden coaster you did? That one gets me. So, in comparison to the coasters at Elitches, here's what I'd tell you -

Screamin' - totally smooth and quite the ride, you might lose your voice from screaming though.

Space Mountain - EXTREMELY smooth, but can make you a little dizzy or sick with the lights and darkness. A few sudden jerks.

The Disney rides don't have the bumps and jerks that the wooden coaster at Elitches has. Let's put it this way - I have a bad back and motion sickness, I can ride NOTHING except the kid's train at Elitches - I can ride EVERYTHING at Disneyland.

Definitely agree that the Matterhorn is very jerky! Thought so even 23 years ago when I first rode it. I think the worst is the loading and unloading with the sleds bumping into each other just a little too hard. Still fun, though. :thumbsup2

Space Mountain is slightly jerky, California Screamin' has a few mildy jerky sections, but I think it's pretty smooth over all.

My 8 year old DS renamed it the splatterhorn after we rode it... Cause you get thrown all over the place..LOL. I am 6-2 and my knees got banged around pretty good... but still loved it...

My 8 year old DS renamed it the splatterhorn after we rode it... Cause you get thrown all over the place..LOL. I am 6-2 and my knees got banged around pretty good... but still loved it...

Oh, I like that...the SPLATTERHORN!:lmao:

Heck, I'm 5'3" and MY knees get banged around on the Matterhorn!:goodvibes My poor hubby.....he's 6'6" tall, so you can imagine the pain!:headache:

I kid you not...serious bruises on both our knees. It's okay though, because we love it too!:woohoo:

I can't help but notice that the OP wasn't bothered by Indy. I don't have problems with my back (I'm a chiro, I know how to have such issues taken care of!), but my brother and SIL do (they refuse to take my learned advice), and Indy bothered them incredibly. The other two didn't bother them at all, but Indy did.

I would think if Indiana didn't bug you, the others probably woudln't either. I loved all of them. (and I'm older than my brother and SIL...)

Thank you all for your help. I agree...the Matterhorn is quite jerky, but that didn't even bother me.

ShawnaF...I was on that wooden one a few years ago, and I stay away from it..the one that did damage most recently was the "Mind Eraser". That was the most horrific roller coaster I have ever been on.

Thanks again to everyone...I think I may take some ibuprofen with me just in case, but if they are more mild than the Matterhorn, I should be just fine.

:goodvibes

I have to revise...people were mentioning Matterhorn and Space Mtn, and I forgot you mentioned CA Screamin'. I haven't been on that one (haven't even been to DCA) so I can't state that it wouldn't bother me. Not yet. :)

Mind Eraser....no thank you, I'll pass. You should be good at Disneyland, if you want crazy coasters - Knotts. Knotts coasters make Elitches look like a big joke.

I'm always shocked when someone says Indy bothered them, maybe it's the way you ride it?

I think there's something to the way you ride it, too. My brother and his wife sit rigidly, holding on. My husband holds on to the bar or whatever in front of him for dear life as well. They have all indicated problems after riding, though especially brother and SIL.

I just brace my feet, sit up tall (but not rigidly), and just move with the car without fighting it.

And I have a grand time and haven't yet been in pain when getting off the ride. In fact I think I feel better afterwards!

I found California Screamin' to be fairly smooth for a roller coaster. Space Mtn can be a bit jerky.

You couldn't pay me to ride the wooden coaster at Elitches anymore. I had a headache after riding it. Mind Eraser isn't too bad. I think Elitches is too expensive for what they offer. I like to go to Lakeside instead.

Elitches IS too expensive for what they have. Plus the parking fees - just silly. The rides at Lakeside make me sick too. I just like to go with our daughter and she loves the kiddie rides. The one thing that really bothers me about Lakeside is that most of the employees look like they're on a work-release program with one of the jails/prisons. Yikes!!!

Bumbershoot - I absolutely agree with you on the way you ride! I think relaxing and taking the motions is what helps the most. Any time you feel cramped into a spot (even in small rides) or uncomfortable to start out with, I don't think you're doing anything but asking for trouble. I definitely think Disney's designs and maintenance are much better and that has something to do with it. HUGELY something to do with it.

One ride at any other park and I can get sick or hurt, but I can do Disney for 5-6 days and not get hurt (occassional tea cup sickness - lol...but I have to do that one to see my daughter's smiles, it passes quickly too!)

Just curious about how "jerky" these roller coasters are. I stupidly went on one here in Denver (Elitches, used to be Six Flags), and I had an instant headache when I got off, a headache and messed up back for about 5 days after. I would love to try these out, but I don't want my vacation ruined. Not sure if it was due to the fact that the roller coaster I went on sucked, or I am getting older and my body can't take what it used to. :sad1: Also, I have been on Indiana Jones and never had a problem on that, just wondering about these other 2.

TIA
Two years ago we made a day trip to Elitches about a month after returning from a DLR trip. I used to be pretty die hard for rollercoasters, but now that I am in my forties my Eltiches experience was much like yours. They were rough and gave me a headache. I have no interest on going on those again.

The contrast with DLR was huge at the time. The DLR coasters (Space Mtn, CS, BTMRR, Matterhorn) do not compare IMO. I ride these over and over again without any problem. They just do not feel like the Eltiches coasters. Same thing at WDW, BTW. The only Disney coaster I have ridden that gives me that overly jerky feeling was Space Mtn in DL Paris. It is very different from the DLR and MK versions. I rode it twice and will never ride it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter