Question about Palo tipping

DVC Jen

Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks.
I know you do envelopes at the end of the cruise for the regular restaurant waitstaff.

But what about for Palo? I was able to make reservations for Palo for dinner (hoping I can also get brunch when we board). I also know there is a 10.00 surcharge that is added to our bill on board. But if i want to tip above and beyond that ..which I am sure I will.. how is that normally handled?

Should we just leave the cash at the table or hand it to our server at the end of the meal?

How has everyone else handled this?

Works just like a regular resturant. You will receive a check at the end of the meal to sign for the $10 per person charge and any alcohalic beverages you purchase - there is a space to add an additional tip if you like.

How do people usually tip at Palo - amount? Is the $10 fee intended to cover the tip, or is this just a fee for DCL - I've heard both. On our last cruise, I tried to estimate what a similar meal would cost in the "real world" and tip accordingly. What have others done?

I thought that the extra $10 per person was to cover the tip, since you tip everyone else at the end of the cruise. At least that is what I have read. The food was fabulous by the way, and well worth the extra money!

Laura

We've always tipped at Palo as if we had paid for the complete meal. The $10 may be a gratuity but it doesn't cover the service that we've always received there.

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. The service you get at Palo is amazing and is well deserving of a tip above and beyond any $10 charge. We do the same as the others said. We determine what we would normally pay for a romantic dinner at a finer restaurant and we tip according to that. Believe me, they appreciate it greatly. When we did the brunch, our waiter for the dinner traded another table for us. It was kind of nice having even someone at Palo who knew a little bit about you.

DG

Anyone want to give a dollar amount? I mean we can go to a fancy restraunt in texas and pay $50 for the 2 of us or $150 depending on where we go. Are you saying dinner, a couple of drinks and dessert like $10 extra or more like $20 extra tip? Does anyone know if the $10 per person surcharge is for the tip? Just wondering, I certainly want to tip enough.

The server at Palo does not get the entire $10. They actually receive a very small amount of it. We don't drink so there aren't any extra tips from that on our bill. We have always added $30 to the bill for our server. Our favorite server Marco takes such good care of us and brings out food that we haven't ordered for us to try. It is always wonderful. He created our very own desert buffet after dinner at our table. I figure that if DH & I ate out and had as many courses as we do at Palo, trying as many things we would end up paying $150 easily. We tip at least 20% for great service.

Lisa hit the nail on the head.....the Palo server DOES NOT receive the $10 for the Palo charge. I think someone has said they only receive .50 to 1.00 of the $10.

We, like Lisa, have favorite servers, Christian and Gemma, and we tip them just like we would in a 4-5 star restaurant either here in Hilton Head or in Orlando(the only place we ever go).....DH adds the tip to the bill...and the
past couple of cruises...also slips them a little extra too.

That's just the way we take care of our Palo servers.....they are like a part of our family and we adore them. It's so strange when we get home and one of them is not standing in our kitchen....serving us.......... !!!!!

Phyllis :crazy: :firefight

I also agree with Lisa on both counts. I try to tip based on what the meal would have cost in an equivilant restaurant ashore. Secondly, we love Marco too. He is wonderful.

Just a little side note...... I had a friend who was a server onboard the Magic and he told me that if ANYONE receives cash, they HAVE to put it into a "fish bowl" and at the end of the night/cruise all the cast members who work in that "area" split the funds. I know I was told the same thing about "tipping cash" by cast members in the nursery and the club/lab. They said they usually use the cash to have a party at some point with the extra funds. I was told by them IF you want that person to get your tip, either add it to the bill OR you need to go to guest services and do a tip slip for them. If this is not the case anymore, I would love to know.

I know when we have eaten at Palo's we have always asked for a slip so we could add extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter