Question about necessity of DAS

niclodn

DIS Veteran
Hey all! I would like some opinions regarding the DAS. I have scoliosis and degenerative disc disease. While I am rarely pain free, I can mostly manage the pain with OTC pain relievers, regular stretching and rest. I have never tried to obtain a DAS before as I always figured they would tell me to just get a wheelchair. However, a wheelchair wouldn't really solve my issue. As my condition has worsed, I am wondering if I should attempt to get a DAS for my upcoming trip. It would certainly make for a more enjoyable trip if I was able to walk around while waiting for a ride, but I certainly don't want to take advantage of the pass either. I also do not want to waste time in the chat if they are going to tell me that I my condition does not qualify.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter has scoliosis with a recent fusion. Her hips continue to be severely uneven as well as her shoulders.

If we didn’t have DAS this past trip I am not sure what we would have done. She needed it 100% and even with DAS she needed rest after every attraction! Some DAS lines were 30 minutes which seemed to be all she could handle.

We had no trouble getting approved. I 100% believe you should apply.

It's hard to know definitively whether someone will get approved or not, but it sounds like you could certainly benefit from DAS. Unfortunately your best option is to try and get approved and see what happens. I think most people have success with shorter waits if they are able to log into the chat queue right at 7:00 am. Good luck and I hope you can fully enjoy your trip.

Hey all! I would like some opinions regarding the DAS. I have scoliosis and degenerative disc disease. While I am rarely pain free, I can mostly manage the pain with OTC pain relievers, regular stretching and rest. I have never tried to obtain a DAS before as I always figured they would tell me to just get a wheelchair. However, a wheelchair wouldn't really solve my issue. As my condition has worsed, I am wondering if I should attempt to get a DAS for my upcoming trip. It would certainly make for a more enjoyable trip if I was able to walk around while waiting for a ride, but I certainly don't want to take advantage of the pass either. I also do not want to waste time in the chat if they are going to tell me that I my condition does not qualify.
I would encourage you to talk with the DAS advance chat online. They are there to help determine what will make your visit more comfortable and enjoyable based on your condition. I had no expectations of getting approved when I recently used the service, but was tired of trying to gut it out at the Parks and being completely miserable...I just wanted to get some information. The CM I spoke with was great at listening and offering ways to help me have a better experience. Hopefully, you will be able to get the info/support you need as well to help you out!

When requesting DAS, diagnosis is not important. You will be asked a variation of this question “What concerns do you have with waiting in the regular lines?”
Be prepared to briefly explain your needs/concerns

NOTE: please don’t post specific answers or words to use

I would ask about the DAS, focus on why a mobility device will not work for you, but I would also have a back up plan if they tell you no or if you get stuck in line some where. witch dose happen quite often.

Did you post this somewhere else online? I swear I read this exact post, word for word, in the last few days. I just need to know if I've lost it lol

Be prepared for a denial and have a backup plan. Many folks keep a 6ft space in line (especially if they are going with another person) and use it to walk back and forth, so they can walk around without needing to be out of line.

I would ask about the DAS, focus on why a mobility device will not work for you, but I would also have a back up plan if they tell you no or if you get stuck in line some where. witch dose happen quite often.

Be prepared for a denial and have a backup plan. Many folks keep a 6ft space in line (especially if they are going with another person) and use it to walk back and forth, so they can walk around without needing to be out of line.
I am definitely prepared for a denial - so no worries there.

I don’t know if this would work for you or not, but when I’ve chosen to go without a mobility device, I use the times when the line stops to do stretches. I don’t care if people think I look a bit silly, and it helps me a lot.

I don’t know if this would work for you or not, but when I’ve chosen to go without a mobility device, I use the times when the line stops to do stretches. I don’t care if people think I look a bit silly, and it helps me a lot.
Oh yes, I do this a lot!
Also be aware that with Lighning Lane, you can still be in for quite a long wait when you return to ride. Our record so far is 40 minutes.
Very much aware of this.

I don’t think scoliosis and DDD is going to cut it now for DAS IMHO. We had a really hard time getting one with a fracture that was freshly cast. We barely did 5 rides with it and it was a huge waste of time (CMs added so much time for return+ rider switch that we would end up at a ride for 2 hours). This was pre Genie+. Now that they’re selling Genie+ and LL they’re going to be even more strict.

I have DDD and retrolesthesis and honestly take Advil if you need it and stay hydrated (liquid IV is good). I also like activene ointment (Amazon) and take a mini massage gun (bob and Brad brand is good; their videos on stretches are good as well).

Get a good pair of shoes (helps posture). I used to be limping by the end of my trip and get muscle cramps; blisters. I now wear Saucony Endorphin pro and haven’t had blisters or foot pain (foot had to adjust to the tight toe box). I can walk 20-24k steps now. Fit but breathable socks (love Eddie Bauer active pro cool max).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012A5Z89K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0857J829Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

For your back up plan, have you thought about using a rollator? You can sit when/if you need to and when you don’t, it forces people to give you more physical space so you can stretch, ect .

I don’t think scoliosis and DDD is going to cut it now for DAS IMHO. We had a really hard time getting one with a fracture that was freshly cast. We barely did 5 rides with it and it was a huge waste of time (CMs added so much time for return+ rider switch that we would end up at a ride for 2 hours). This was pre Genie+. Now that they’re selling Genie+ and LL they’re going to be even more strict.

I have DDD and retrolesthesis and honestly take Advil if you need it and stay hydrated (liquid IV is good). I also like activene ointment (Amazon) and take a mini massage gun (bob and Brad brand is good; their videos on stretches are good as well).

Get a good pair of shoes (helps posture). I used to be limping by the end of my trip and get muscle cramps; blisters. I now wear Saucony Endorphin pro and haven’t had blisters or foot pain (foot had to adjust to the tight toe box). I can walk 20-24k steps now. Fit but breathable socks (love Eddie Bauer active pro cool max).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012A5Z89K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0857J829Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
A broken bone is a mobility issue, so I can see why it was difficult to get.

A broken bone is a mobility issue, so I can see why it was difficult to get.
DDD is also a mobility issue (not sensory), so it would be even harder to justify.

I would try to explain your situation, it doesn’t hurt to try.

DDD is also a mobility issue (not sensory), so it would be even harder to justify.

I would try to explain your situation, it doesn’t hurt to try.

I was referring to this from your post:

We had a really hard time getting one with a fracture that was freshly cast.

You sounded surprised that it was hard to get one, and I'm not sure why, since a mobility issue shouldn't receive a DAS.

I was referring to this from your post:

You sounded surprised that it was hard to get one, and I'm not sure why, since a mobility issue shouldn't receive a DAS.

Here is another discussion and they did get denied:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disneyland-chronic-pain-but-can’t-use-wheelchair-please-help.3888778/

The injuries my spouse had were more than just a fracture. He fell down a few stairs and had a tear in a muscle in addition to the fracture, so couldn’t sit for long either. We explained in detail and showed a note from his Dr. (not required). Back then the lines were socially distant and in the hot sun so we were given DAS. Now they’ll just tell you to buy Genie+ If you can’t tolerate the line

All I’m saying is it’s harder than it was before, which I think you agree as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter