Question about buying packages through disney site

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
I have heard you can buy other countries packages. I was trying to explain that to my mom but she is thinking that somehow there will be an exchange fee or something. She doesn't understand how it is cheaper. Can someone please explain to me how exactly it works. I "think" if I understand it correctly that if it is say 1000 euros and that would equal 1200 US dollars that if the US site says 1600 then we would be saving the 400. She still thinks though that there would be some kind of exchange fee we would have to pay through our bank if we converted our US dollars to Euros. I am very confused and would love to know.

TIA

Yes - you understand correctly. DLP packages can be booked using the website for any country and the prices vary on each website. We recently booked through the UK site. Other issues to consider - your credit card may apply a foreign transaction fee I suppose (ours does not have one) and if you pay a deposit and the final balance later, the value of the currency you’re booking in may change relative to the dollar.

It also works the other way around, I can book a package for WDW on the US site, the UK site, or the European site. Depending on the exchange rate, I make a decision. Probably could do the same with the Brazilian site, but I don't speak Portuguese ;-)

There is no small print saying you have to be a certain nationality. It's the same for DLP. There won't be a CM at the hotel saying "oh I'm so sorry, you are from the wrong country, please pay this extra bill of $400."

Check with your bank when they charge and when they don't. With my CCs, I only pay an additional fee when I withdraw cash in another country. When I pay in a restaurant or store, I pay the amount based on the exchange rate of the day.

It also works the other way around, I can book a package for WDW on the US site, the UK site, or the European site. Depending on the exchange rate, I make a decision. Probably could do the same with the Brazilian site, but I don't speak Portuguese ;-)

There is no small print saying you have to be a certain nationality. It's the same for DLP. There won't be a CM at the hotel saying "oh I'm so sorry, you are from the wrong country, please pay this extra bill of $400."

Check with your bank when they charge and when they don't. With my CCs, I only pay an additional fee when I withdraw cash in another country. When I pay in a restaurant or store, I pay the amount based on the exchange rate of the day.
Interesting... I always had heard the reverse (booking WDW from another country site) was prohibited. This doesn’t create issues with things like mailing magic bands?

Interesting... I always had heard the reverse (booking WDW from another country site) was prohibited. This doesn’t create issues with things like mailing magic bands?
MB are never shipped in advance outside the US, we pick up ours at checkin.

Ok cuz right now the UK price is about 400 cheaper than the US site. So it is just a matter of if our bank charges a fee. Obviously if they charge SOME fee there wouldn't be a problem but as long as it is not as much as the difference it would be worth it. So I assume once we purchase as people have said then we get an email with a link that we then present once we get there for our room and tickets?

So I assume once we purchase as people have said then we get an email with a link that we then present once we get there for our room and tickets?
Correct. When you book a hotel and park tickets package direct from Disney through their website you will get an email confirmation with all your details. You show this email confirmation when you check in to the hotel.

You should also go to the website you booked through and create a new My Disney Experience account. So for example, you book through the UK website, you go back to UK website, NOT your home country website. You will need your confirmation number to log in. Once you have logged in you will see your booking details.

So for example, you book through the UK website, you go back to UK website, NOT your home country website. You will need your confirmation number to log in. Once you have logged in you will see your booking details.

Thanks so much for posting this.
We booked our trip (13 days away!!!) through the British site & haven't been able to access the reservation through the US website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter