Question about bridal shower gifts-related to my DD's wedding

I love these ideas!

My son & his girlfriend moved in together, so no shower, but I wanted to help them out, so took them to Target & Bed, Bath & Beyond and went through the kitchen and bathroom aisles to help them get set up in their apartment. They got things they didn't even realized that they would need, and I had fun spoiling them a little bit.

Am I the only one who finds this creepy? I don't want to be thinking about my mom on my wedding night…

My mom bought me a pretty nightgown and robe set to wear on the wedding night. We went shopping a few days prior to my shower and she had me show her which sets I liked the best.

I am very sentimental so when my kids get married I am going to make sure I buy them something "timeless" that they can use and think of me when they use it. My grandmother bought me an ice bucket(silly but I think of her every time I use it) and a big meat platter that I use for every holiday when I am hosting. :)

My Mom gave me a Farberware set for my shower. How many meals I have cooked with those pieces, I cannot say. But the set has been so essential, and still being used! I wanted to give something "timeless" as well. So, I gave my daughter and daughter-in-law a Calphalon set for their showers, and another daughter-in-law a Kitchen Aid mixer, as she expressed such an interest in baking.

42 years ago my mother gave me a set of 3 Revere stainless steel mixing bowls.
They are the only mixing bowls I have ever had. I have used them nearly every day for all these years and they are still perfect. Those bowls are the only shower or wedding gift that I still have. Lightweight, unbreakable, useful, timeless, and classic. You can't go wrong with a gift that lasts a lifetime.

My mom gave each of her kids a card table and chairs for their wedding showers.

Am I the only one who finds this creepy? I don't want to be thinking about my mom on my wedding night…

I actually wore a beautiful 10+ yr old hand-me-down that my mother gave me. And yes, we went shopping together for my nightgown as we thought maybe I would want something new. Found they were overpriced and didn't like most out there so ended up using my mother's. I still have it nearly 20 years later and still love it although I wear it rarely.

Now if I was looking for something super slinky...I wouldn't have wanted to go shopping with my mother haha! I wanted dreamy and floaty so it was a bit different :)

My in-laws, for the shower, gave me a large bin of paper products for EVERY holiday (except New Years Day) that you could imagine there being paper products for. They also gave us a Go Pro that we had registered for.
:confused: Paper products for holidays? My imagination is failing me, what does this mean?

My sister just had her bridal shower--I got her a bunch of kitchen stuff on her registry and my mom got her a grill. We aren't sentimental so engraved frames really aren't "us."

My mom bought a nightgown for me, white, long sleeved, cotton, my fami,y made fun of her when I opened it, she told me stead take it if I didn't want it (she wasn't insulted), I told her I loved it (still have it, never wore it).

My grandmother gave me the flatware I registered for. I've been using it several times a day now for over twenty years!

:confused: Paper products for holidays? My imagination is failing me, what does this mean?

I'm pretty sure she means paper plates large and small, napkins, disposable cups, maybe paper tablecloths with holiday prints on them. Thinkgs like a turkey on the plate for Thanksgiving, balloons for a birthday, etc.

I'm pretty sure she means paper plates large and small, napkins, disposable cups, maybe paper tablecloths with holiday prints on them. Thinkgs like a turkey on the plate for Thanksgiving, balloons for a birthday, etc.
Ah... thank you. I don't know why I couldn't figure that out. I was thinking, "What am I supposed to have for the holidays that I've been missing all these years?!"

My mom believes in volume. So she went onto my registry and bought the majority of items $30 or less. Items I'd put on there specifically because I had a lot of friends that were just out of college and I knew wouldn't have a lot of money. I would have much rather gotten one of the larger ticket items )that cost the same or less) that I could never justify buying for myself at that age. Don't do that.

I fear that my daughter will not like my answer to this question... :) Or my future answer... haha

OP, I would have been over-the-moon grateful to my mom, had she offered to pay me for ANYTHING wedding-related. her answer was probably the same one I would give: "It's your wedding. I already had mine."

As someone correctly guessed, holiday paper plates, some holiday paper cups, and also lots of plastic flatware. She did skip the table cloths, thankfully (we have a weird shaped table).

I hosted the shower (Yes, I know horrible etiquette faux-pas, don't care!) and can't remember if I gave her anything. It was only a year and a half ago, I should remember! We did give a sizable sum of cash to pay for the reception. I also had bought them a handcrafted Irish wedding knot wall thing at a craft fair, but gave them that for a wedding present.

I guess my throwing the shower was her present. She knows how stressful it is for me to entertain in my house, even for a small group.

Later I bought them a vacuum they had on their registry but did not receive (when it went on sale at Costco)

Last edited:
Both of my daughters got married last year! I got them each service for 12 of Mikasa Parchment china, as well as 2 matching serving pieces. They both were engaged for a year, so I also bought holiday or seasonal kitchen towels for all twelve months. I also got them both two of the "Once upon a time... Happily ever after" Disney throw pillows. Finally, the daughter going to Disney World for part of her honeymoon, got personalized bride and groom Mickey and Minnie ears and a Minnie and Mickey wedding picture frame. The other daughter got three themed cookbooks with appropriate gadgets, since she loves to bake/cook.

My parents paid for our wedding. That was their gift to us. I really can't remember if they gave us anything else - I probably told them not to since they contributed so much financially.

I think it's very sweet you want to get them something sentimental. I wish I could think of something good! You've gotten some nice ideas in previous posts. Congrats to your family!

My mom bought me a pretty nightgown and robe set to wear on the wedding night.

I also got a beautiful (long, white, silk, elegant) nightgown from my mom. I still have it and still occasionally wear it. It might be old-fashioned by today's standards, but a bridal peignoir set is a very traditional gift to a bride from her mother. No one thought it was creepy.

If I had a daughter, I might give her a piece of classic jewelry, like a Tiffany necklace or bracelet, or diamond earrings. For a household gift, maybe a comforter or quilt, or a set of (perhaps Disney?) Christmas ornaments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter