Question about AP discount

Dmwc484

Mouseketeer
We will be taking a big family trip next year. My husband, son and I will have APs. If my son is off with his grandparents will they be able to use his discount to make purchases? He is going to be 5 and I know they will be buying him plenty of toys. I just don't know how it works if we're are not with him. Thanks!

I.D. is supposed to be required with the AP card for purchases... your son probably doesn't have an I.D. Also I think the person paying has to be AP holder to get discount.

I asked a CM about this the other day. My 6 year old showed his AP card when making a purchase (he was using a gift card). Since I was standing there, they asked if I could show mine instead since I have an ID. Of course I complied, but I asked what would happen if I didn't have an AP but he did. CM said it's policy to see an ID if possible, but in that case they would have accepted my son's card. If you want to be extra cautious, I'd bring a copy of his birth certificate. No photo, but at least the names would match (or even a Passport?).

The person with the AP must be the one buying the item so your 5 year old must buy everything to get the AP discounts. And an ID is also needed

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I heard from a CM a few years ago that if you make a purchase without the AP card, you could go back later with the card and the receipt and have the discount applied. A lot of backtracking across the parks potentially, but it may be worth it if his card does not work at the time of purchase.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I heard from a CM a few years ago that if you make a purchase without the AP card, you could go back later with the card and the receipt and have the discount applied. A lot of backtracking across the parks potentially, but it may be worth it if his card does not work at the time of purchase.
Yes I have done this but the name ( if using a CC) and then AP card must match

Thanks everyone. Looks like it may vary by cast member. Most of the time I will be with them. But there is one night that my husband and I plan on going off on our own. I may see about being him a state id so that they may have a better chance.

My daughter was using her AP to make a purchase and the cast member completely refused to give her the discount because she didn’t have ID. I said she is 7! She has no id. The cast member adamantly would not budge. I had to make the purchase with my aP and ID.

Would a school ID work? My daughter has one of those.

And isn't the annual pass tied to the magic band? Would giving that band purchasing authorization work if you were staying on site?

The AP discount rules are very hit or miss depending on the cast member working. Some just asked me if I was a holder and took my word for it, others have been fine with the card, others have needed to see ID.
Just this month, I showed my card and ID for something for my daughter, but my mother in law paid for the item.
It's best to plan for the worst, but hope for the best when using the discount, as anything can happen.

And isn't the annual pass tied to the magic band? Would giving that band purchasing authorization work if you were staying on site?
School ID should work. My daughter was asked for ID at DLR and they accepted it.

Yes my daughter used her school ID on the next trip after the lady refused her a purchase when she didn’t have ID

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!