Question about a Disneyland Resort Vacation

hjohnson6

Mouseketeer
I don't mean to start a debate but I am curious as to why it is more expensive for a vacation package to DLR than it is to WDW. Back when we were in the planning stages, I thought about visiting DLR since CA is closer to WY. Going to WDW was much cheaper. Of course we are getting the Free DDP so that helps.

Any Opinions?

I would guess that land that DLR sits on is much more valuable (and costly) than WDW. Also, DLR seems to be populare year round and WDW seems to be less popular in the late summer/early fall Hurricane season. I would also guess that employees are probably paid more at Disneyland than WDW (does't WDW utilize a lot of college student "interns"?).

Cost of living, salaries, cost of land and property taxes (they didn't sneak around when they bought the Anaheim land like they did when they bought Florida land), the sheer numbers of people they can house and entertain in Orlando vs only three hotels at Disneyland...limited number of people they can entertain there with 2 vs 4 parks (plus WDW's water options)...supply and demand...

All sorts of reasons.

I noticed the same thing, when wavering on the DL vacay. But we stuck with DLR b/c that's where we want to be this year!

Oh, and b/c my high school reunion is in CA so that's where we WILL be this year. :upsidedow

Lovely California...lol...

We still always have done DL, never been to WDW yet. I think we'll try it once the little one is older and more able to walk longer distances and be patient, not nap.

We were looking into booking a Disneyland vacation in December of next year for Christmas. We have never been to Disneyland, but have been to Disney World over a dozen times. The Disney hotels in California are quite expensive especially since we are taking a 2 week trip. Never been to California, or the west coast for that matter!

We did look at the "good neighbor hotels" and were quite amazed. We could stay 13 nights, 8 day park hoppers, vacation ins, airfare, Universal Hollywood, Los Angeles tour, sea world, legoland, and knotts berry farm all for under the price it is to stay at Disney World this December. And we are staying only 9 days in Disney World vs. the two weeks in Disneyland.

I was so shocked :eek: My DH was all ready to book it...but I decided to wait a little longer until this upcoming trip is paid off.

Heather, I don't have an opinion, but I would love it if you PM me how to get to WDW for cheaper than DL! I'm in Colorado and for my family of 4 to go to DL costs (averaging all our past trips here) about $3500, it would be almost $2000 in air alone for us to get to WDW. Of course we drive to DL, and could do the same for WDW, but at 3 days there and 3 days back, DH and I taking an extra week off work would cost us in 'lost wages' anyway!

We were looking into booking a Disneyland vacation in December of next year for Christmas. We have never been to Disneyland, but have been to Disney World over a dozen times. The Disney hotels in California are quite expensive especially since we are taking a 2 week trip. Never been to California, or the west coast for that matter!

We did look at the "good neighbor hotels" and were quite amazed. We could stay 13 nights, 8 day park hoppers, vacation ins, airfare, Universal Hollywood, Los Angeles tour, sea world, legoland, and knotts berry farm all for under the price it is to stay at Disney World this December. And we are staying only 9 days in Disney World vs. the two weeks in Disneyland.

I was so shocked :eek: My DH was all ready to book it...but I decided to wait a little longer until this upcoming trip is paid off.

Princess Amy -
Don't worry about staying at the Good Neighbor Hotels. One of the differences between WDW and DL (in my opinion) is that in WDW you are totally *in the bubble*, and it adds so much to be staying onsite. At DL, you really don't have that bubble, just because DL is located in the middle of a city! Although the Disney hotels are wonderful, and I love to stay at them, the theming isn't quite as pronounced as WDW, and you really don't lose any atmosphere by NOT staying onsite. Plus so many of the offsite hotels are just as close to DL, CA and Downtown Disney as the DL resorts!
If you are coming out for two weeks, there is so much to see and do in Southern California - SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Legoland, Universal, and the beaches. If by staying at the Good Neighbor hotel, that means that you can do that much more, than totally worth it! :yay:
If you really feel that staying onsite would add to your trip, maybe stay a week at a less expensive hotel, then go down to San Diego for a few days, and then end the trip back at Disney, staying on site for just a couple of days - that way you would get to experience everything!
Good luck!

WDW isn't cheaper for us. We drive to DL and in gas we spend around $200 total. No airfare I've found is going to be $200 for the 3 of us round trip! WDW would also be a longer trip for us, I can do DL easily in 3-4 days. I'd want at least a full week for WDW. Which would mean more money for hotel nights, food ect...

Food I also think would cost more going to WDW, since you mainly eat onsite. We do a lot of places offsite, including things like McDonalds for breakfast or lunch. Saves a bundle!

Things of course cost more in California then Florida. We lived in California for most of our lives and it's an expensive place to live (partly why we left it!). So naturally things will cost more there. But for us a trip to DL is a lot less then if we decided to do WDW.

We have found that if we watch the seat sales we can go to WDW for the same amount as DL. The only difference is the price in the passes.

Princess Amy -
Don't worry about staying at the Good Neighbor Hotels. One of the differences between WDW and DL (in my opinion) is that in WDW you are totally *in the bubble*, and it adds so much to be staying onsite. At DL, you really don't have that bubble, just because DL is located in the middle of a city! Although the Disney hotels are wonderful, and I love to stay at them, the theming isn't quite as pronounced as WDW, and you really don't lose any atmosphere by NOT staying onsite. Plus so many of the offsite hotels are just as close to DL, CA and Downtown Disney as the DL resorts!
If you are coming out for two weeks, there is so much to see and do in Southern California - SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Legoland, Universal, and the beaches. If by staying at the Good Neighbor hotel, that means that you can do that much more, than totally worth it! :yay:
If you really feel that staying onsite would add to your trip, maybe stay a week at a less expensive hotel, then go down to San Diego for a few days, and then end the trip back at Disney, staying on site for just a couple of days - that way you would get to experience everything!
Good luck!

Is there any "good neighbor hotels" that are worth looking in to? Which one's are great for the price and convienence? Thanks for the valuable info :thumbsup2

Is there any "good neighbor hotels" that are worth looking in to? Which one's are great for the price and convienence? Thanks for the valuable info :thumbsup2

We've never stayed at the properties right across the street...we have stayed at the Marriott, the Hilton, Embassy Suites South, and with this upcoming trip we will be at the Hyatt for 6 nights, before ending the trip at the Grand California! I couldn't justify it for the whole trip, so we are moving onsite just for the last three nights!
I know that there are lots of opinions on the closest hotels on these boards! Lots of *suite* properties, which are so convenient, along with little kitchen units, and complimentary breakfasts.
You might look for some threads for the hotels nearby!
San Diego has some great properties also! If I am unfamiliar with an area, I usually start out by looking at the hotels on Expedia.com, reading the reviews, and looking at the hotel pictures and maps. Gives you a good idea of the area and properties, along with it's location to the various parks!

Thanks a bunch NannyPooh! I've tried looking here for various hotels but it's nothing compared to the WDW section of the Dis. There is so much info there it could make your head explode. Not too much for Disneyland though. Guess I should try a search. And the funny thing is is that every hotel I look into looks just as nice as the one I checked before it. Ahhh...decisions, decisions. :coffee:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter