Question - 2 children with different disabilities

Kim in PA

Mouseketeer
It has been awhile since we were at WDW, and we have another child, and also know some things have changed at WDW, so we could use some advice.

2 of our daughters have disabilities. Our 18 year old daughter has autism. She is an eloper, and also bothers other people in line (touching them, saying inappropriate things), so when she was younger, we would use a “stroller as a WC” tag. The last time we went, she just used a GAC as she didn’t need the stroller anymore. I know they no longer offer that, but I am not sure what they use in it’s place.

Our 13 year old daughter (adopted three years ago at age 10) has spina bifida and bilateral club feet, and uses a wheelchair.

Do we need to request different accommodations for them? What exactly do we need to do? There are 6 people in our family.

Thank you so much for your help!

You can get DAS for your older daughter, and have all 6 of you connected to her for DAS access.

Your younger daughter just needs her wheelchair, there are no extra accommodations needed for her.

If all your 13 year old need is a place to sit then I would get a wheelchair for her even if she dose not use one at home. Most lines are Main Street meaning the wheelchair will go thought what every line ( standby or FP) you have very few there is an alternative entrince ( minimums the exit )

For your other DD the DAS might work for her. You can check out the sticky on the DAS

Sorry, I didn’t explain that well. My 13 year old uses a wheelchair everyday, and will be taking her own chair. I just didn’t know if she needed anything else.
If all your 13 year old need is a place to sit then I would get a wheelchair for her even if she dose not use one at home. Most lines are Main Street meaning the wheelchair will go thought what every line ( standby or FP) you have very few there is an alternative entrince ( minimums the exit )

For your other DD the DAS might work for her. You can check out the sticky on the DAS

DAS was a lifesaver for our trip. My older DS has similar issues with waiting in cramped areas for long periods.

You can still book fastpasses like you normally would. In addition to Fastpass, DAS will allow you to get a return time on a ride (only 1 DAS appointment can be active at a time), and the return time is based on the current standby wait. It allowed us to keep DS active and in open areas where he wouldn't be disruptive to other guests when lines were longer than his zone of tolerance. When it is your return time for the ride, you go through the fastpass line to get on the ride. As PP mentioned, the standby and fastpass lines were upgraded to be wide enough for wheelchairs and scooters, which means one less thing you have to manage while in the parks :)

It has been awhile since we were at WDW, and we have another child, and also know some things have changed at WDW, so we could use some advice.

The GAC program ended in 2013. The Disability Access Service (DAS) replaced it. The first post of this thread has been kept up-to-date with the current DAS program.

People who's needs are largely mobility or stamina related, and a wheelchair/ECV or other mobility device accommodates their need, do not need a DAS. The majority of queues are mainstreamed to allow mobility devices. A few have a pull-off partway through to avoid stairs. Very few are not accessible and will direct you to an accessible entrance; a "wheelchair return time" may be given to help prevent congestion at the accessible boarding.

People who have "other" needs not accommodated by a mobility device can request a DAS from Guest Relations. Your daughter with autism may qualify. Simply explain the challenges she has waiting in a standard queue environment.

Enjoy your vacation!

Sorry, I didn’t explain that well. My 13 year old uses a wheelchair everyday, and will be taking her own chair. I just didn’t know if she needed anything else.
No if all she need is a wheelchair then she will not need anything else the CM at the ride can see her wheelchair and they can see she will need to avoid steps (when the line has them)

I should add... if there are other needs unrelated to the queue, those can be accommodated at each attraction. Things such as seating requests (i.e., close, one side, etc.), if using a visual or auditory device, etc. The DAS does not have different stamps like the old GAC.

DAS replaced GAC.
DD18 sounds like she would likely be eligible for DAS.
DD13 sounds like its more of a mobility issue which would not qualify.
Basically you just have to go to guest services and let them know the reasons why its difficult for DD18 to wait in the regular line.
I believe the DAS is good for the person eligible plus 5-6 others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter