Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Dad is home and we are soon going to get out birthday stuff to get ready for tomorrow. Thanks to a kind Ralph's bakery worker, he treated himself to a special Maple pie big slice for tomorrow and a few days to come. He wasn't able to find any 🌷 but as I told him, he can use that money at any time when he sees some nice ones. It did warm up a dash here...maybe! I'll take it happily though, of course. Oh Eggs were half price at only $2.99 at Ralph's this morning, thinking of you Kirby and anyone else who may have Kroger Chains of Supermarkets out there.

AuntieMe3, I'm sorry you're still having posting troubles :( Enjoy your🍝dinner with your friends tonight. I'm glad always to hear Dolly :dogdance:is doing well, too.

Lynn, how is Don feeling this afternoon? 🙏that he is doing better! I also Googled Million Dollar Spaghetti. Dad would enjoy that for sure. I hope if you ever try it you will and of course that AuntieMe3, her DH, and their friends do so tonight.

Snowysmom:hug:I am so thankful to God truly you have such a good and helpful real estate agent. Very grateful to hear you are going with movers for the heavy stuff. Please do just that!

Easyas, :cheer2:for being done with work by now!

PollyannaMom, prayers that you and your🐈are well and warm this afternoon, too.

Have a great rest of the afternoon everyone. Stay warm!

Good evening. I am so ready for spring. It's 21 degrees right now going into the single digits and a windchill of 5 degrees. It was too cold to walk the dog, but we made quick work of it.

@flyingdumbo127 - Happy Birthday to your dad.

Jim had the first post-surgery visit yesterday and everything looks good. The haziness is gone but his vision will never be that great. The diabetes has taken care of that. We also got clarification of what he CANNOT do. Thankfully the doctor agreed with me and not what he thought he was told.

The grandkids got their report cards yesterday and I am very proud of them. Mikey got all A's and B's. This is an accomplishment for him because just a couple of years ago he struggled to pass. Ella got one B but her average was an 89 so I'm giving her a pass. I did go see the teachers since my daughter was working and found out that Ella is a bit like me. She interprets what she reads thinking outside the box, Unfortunately the teacher wants what is in the books she reads for answers, I did love what she wrote though. They are studying a book on Frederick Douglass and the question was in regard to a slave owner. Evidently according to the book she was a very nice person before owning slaves and became very mean after owning them. Ella's answer was maybe being nice was just an act and she always was mean, but owning slaves let her act on it. Not what was in the book, but I love the way she thinks.

I have been working on trying to figure out what was missing on the hard drive that was repaired. I have been getting a message that there is an issue with the hard drive whenever I plugged it in, but I could access the pictures, today when I came back to work on it some more, I got a message that it needs to be formatted. If I do that, I lose everything. Thankfully I was able to contact the company and they still have the files on hand. They will download and send me a new hard drive out. This has been a nightmare.

I may stop by my son's house tomorrow for a quick visit. Evidently, I have a new grandpuppy. They got a Boston Terrier pup named Jax. They now have a psycho Boston, a Beagle and the new Boston puppy. I hope he gets a long well with my Chewie since they watch her when we go away. Jim has to stay away til next week to protect his eye.

Have a good night and I hope you all stay warm.

Hi! Good Dermatology visit today. Some things were frozen off. Next appointment is in 6 months. Then I spent time on Valentine’s Day cards and presents, and we mailed them this afternoon. The final job today was paying our DVC dues. We had to call DVC for help because as I was paying with Gift cards, the money was going to credit for next year, not towards this years balance. A good CM took care of it for us.

An amaryllis that’s blooming. One of mine that I’ve had for a few years now. Gardening is my hobby!

1675469188668.jpeg

Hi! Good Dermatology visit today. Some things were frozen off. Next appointment is in 6 months. Then I spent time on Valentine’s Day cards and presents, and we mailed them this afternoon. The final job today was paying our DVC dues. We had to call DVC for help because as I was paying with Gift cards, the money was going to credit for next year, not towards this years balance. A good CM took care of it for us.

An amaryllis that’s blooming. One of mine that I’ve had for a few years now. Gardening is my hobby!

View attachment 737204
You remind me of my MIL, she could grow anything and had all kinds of beautiful plants around her house. Unfortunately, I don’t have that gift! I have four or five plants I keep but honestly, none of them are looking great right now! :bitelip: Thanks for sharing the picture, it brought back good memories.

Interesting weather here today. This morning it was 26 degrees out, and it has steadily gone down hourly. Right now we are at -5 degrees but it “Feels Like” -20! Yikes! They weren’t kidding when they said we’d be getting an arctic blast! :cold:Poor Grady’s nose is like an ice cube! Toto was under a blanket with me this evening so he’s pretty toasty.

DS is in warm FL having a good time, and got a Save today with four K’s (strikeouts) in an inning and a half of work. DD’s boyfriend sent me one video of him pitching and he looked good out there. Apparently the coach for the opposing team asked if he could call him when they’re up this way! And he said sure! Lol.

Shifts were good, and not particularly tired for some reason. I never made it to the grocery store after work, it was too cold to think about loading groceries and carrying them in. I just needed a few things so will likely go tomorrow.

Taz, glad everything went well with Jim. :) I hope you can get the pictures somehow. I know how frustrating that is.

Mona, please wish Dad a Happy Birthday for us! Is it tomorrow?

TGIF! 🐥 Wishing everyone a good weekend!

Did the plumber tell you to turn on the hot or the cold side?
DH says to let it trickle on both sides if it's really cold and the wind is blowing. During some cold weather around Christmas, he got a couple of calls because of frozen/busted pipes due to only the cold side being on.
Going to our friends for dinner tonight but I'm making dinner, I'm making that million dollar spaghetti.
I printed that recipe out. It sounds good. I have heard of it before but never looked up the recipe.
Oh Eggs were half price at only $2.99 at Ralph's this morning, thinking of you Kirby and anyone else who may have Kroger Chains of Supermarkets out there.
What a deal! Went to the grocery store after dinner. There was hardly any bread or eggs left. And DH's favorite coffee, Community Pecan Praline, was all gone. DD and I are going to our other Kroger tomorrow to look for the coffee, maybe Tom Thumb too.

I have some really, really great news to tell you! His transplant team doctor told him this morning that they have found a 100% donor match for him. Thank you Lord! And thank you for all your prayers! He's looking at a transplant in about four weeks. He asked his transplant doctor what makes a 100% match. The doctor said there are thousands of genes but there are 10 that are most important in his case and that the donor matches all 10. :dogdance: His leukemia doctor also told him that they found no sign of leukemia in his bone marrow so currently he is considered to be in total remission.

DH says to let it trickle on both sides if it's really cold and the wind is blowing. During some cold weather around Christmas, he got a couple of calls because of frozen/busted pipes due to only the cold side being on.

I printed that recipe out. It sounds good. I have heard of it before but never looked up the recipe.

What a deal! Went to the grocery store after dinner. There was hardly any bread or eggs left. And DH's favorite coffee, Community Pecan Praline, was all gone. DD and I are going to our other Kroger tomorrow to look for the coffee, maybe Tom Thumb too.

I have some really, really great news to tell you! His transplant team doctor told him this morning that they have found a 100% donor match for him. Thank you Lord! And thank you for all your prayers! He's looking at a transplant in about four weeks. He asked his transplant doctor what makes a 100% match. The doctor said there are thousands of genes but there are 10 that are most important in his case and that the donor matches all 10. :dogdance: His leukemia doctor also told him that they found no sign of leukemia in his bone marrow so currently he is considered to be in total remission.
That is such wonderful news @Kirby! 🙏🏻 :woohoo:

@Kirby Yay! Such wonderful news. I will take your DH's advice and put on some hot water too.

@flyingdumbo127 Happy birthday to your Dad. I hope he has a nice day.

@TazDev Glad the surgery went well for Jim and glad you could clarify what he can and can't do. Your grandkids did so well in school. Teachers do want students to do things the way they are taught and what is in the book. Kenny could always find a better and new way to do math and get the right answer. His 4th grade teacher told me I had to tell him to stop doing it his way even though he got the right answer. She said to tell him to do it her way. I did not tell him that.

@bobbioz Beautiful plant. It is nice to have the gift of caring for plants. I do not have a green thumb.

@Pea-n-Me It sounds like your DS is doing well in baseball and enjoys it. Glad your shift was not too bad.

It is -10 here right now. Highs expected around 13. I have to go to an appt this morning but at least I have a heated garage to leave from. Then I go to Kenny's later today for dinner. By then it will be a balmy 13 degrees. More packing today. I keep thinking about packing the kitchen myself. So indecisive. But this morning I made a decision to treat myself to having the movers pack up the kitchen and kitchen closet. It will only take them about an hour as I do not have alot of stuff. Then I can concentrate on what I need to pack. My hip will thank me.

Please keep a friend of mine in your prayers. We have been best friends since 2nd grade and even though we no longer live near each other we keep in touch. She has a small breast mass and is waiting for the biopsy results. Thanks.

Have a good Saturday.

Good morning. It was 0 when I got up, it's up to 16 now heading for 37. All of you in the cold spell, stay safe and warm!

@Kirby -- Congrats to the grandkids grades!
hallelujah-www.canichangemylife.com_.jpg

@TazDev--Wonderful news about Jim's first post op visit, glad you got things straightened out with what he could and could not do

@flyingdumbo127 --Happy Birthday to your Dad!!

@Snowysmom --Good decision to have someone else pack the kitchen. Less work for you!
Prayers said for your friend. 🙏🏻

Nothing new going on here. Lowe's never called me yesterday so I called there last night. The vanity is there, the commode was shipped by the vendor on Wednesday so it should have been there too, but hadn't shown up yet. Waiting till both pieces are there before picking them up. The last major piece will be delivered here Monday. Then the work can start.

Off to wash the kitchen and bathroom floors and throw the rugs in the washer, as soon as the sheets come out

Have a great Saturday

R (9).jpg

Kirby…. That is such great news, many prayers that things just keep getting better

Mona… Happy Birthday to your precious Dad!

To add to all the other stresses right now, I had to call the cops out last night. Very late last night there was pounding on the front door. There was a guy pounding and screaming. My heart was pounding so hard. The cops came and I saw them with a search light, but they never made contact with me, which the dispatcher said they would. We live in a pretty rural area so this was unusual. I turned all the lights out as he was pounding and pounded back at the glass window (not sure why🤪). He finally left and I took a kitchen knife with me to bed much later. It was scary being here alone.

Good morning. It was around 9 degrees when I walked the dog this morning but at least no wind. We are up to 19 degrees heading to 27 but tomorrow is supposed to be 48 and then in the 50's. This weather is crazy.

@TazDev Glad the surgery went well for Jim and glad you could clarify what he can and can't do. Your grandkids did so well in school. Teachers do want students to do things the way they are taught and what is in the book. Kenny could always find a better and new way to do math and get the right answer. His 4th grade teacher told me I had to tell him to stop doing it his way even though he got the right answer. She said to tell him to do it her way. I did not tell him that.
Thank you. At least he is listening. It's harder on the dog since she has trouble jumping onto the couch.

The teachers can drive me crazy but at least this one was nice about it. When my youngest was little she could add and subtract at the age of 3 or 4. She listened and watched the flash cards sessions with her siblings and caught on quickly. In 3rd grade she failed a test but to me all the answers were correct so I questioned the teacher about it. Evidently the way they taught math 2 X 3 = 6 was not the same as 3 X 2 = 6. I was a s confused as my daughter. She was so confused that she went from all A's to failing math. I still don't get the explanation. My daughter hated that teacher for the rest of the year and when I couldn't accompany the class on a trip she refused to go. Of course the teacher said I still had to pay and Beth could be in her group, she would have fun. The day after the trip the teacher asked her if she had fun at the aquarium and my daughter, straight faced looked at her and said, "NO! I told you I wouldn't without my mom and I didn't have fun with you." I went on all the trips after that.

Hope you all have a great day and stay warm those of you with this arctic freeze.

Good morning! 🐥

@Snowysmom I love that you let your son do math his way. He is obviously very intelligent but it takes confidence as a parent to foster his doing his own thing. What a great tribute to you and Chris as parents! I’m glad you’ll have the packers help pack, especially if your hip hurts. Will keep your friend in my prayers. Early detection is a wonderful thing today. (Just realized this year is my 20th year of breast cancer survivorship! Thanks to God and modern medicine!)

As you know, we are having frigid weather here. Overnight it was in the negative numbers. (And right now it’s “up” to 1 degree here.) I was cold overnight and this morning and didn’t know why. Well, furnace is out! Here I was worried about the pipes and the problem was going to be that we lost heat. 😵‍💫 So call is in to company. It’s fairly new so hopefully an easy fix (but probably going to get yelled at for not doing the yearly maintenance - I meant to, I swear!) We’re on a list but they may not make it out until tomorrow, they said.

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, Toto is “off” today. I think his tummy is upset or something. He’s wearing his jacket in the house, and finally settled in. I’m going to give him some Tums to see if that helps. I could hear stomach noises. Grady has his coat on, too, but is confused and sitting by the door thinking we’re going out. Not sure about that, lol. It means a shower. That, I could do, but the thought of wet hair in this house right now isn’t too appealing. So we’re all bundled up with sweatshirts and blankets in the living room.

Will check in later. :cold:

:hug: :thanks:Everyone for your kind Happy Birthday Wishes to my beloved Dad. I will show them to him later. Today is indeed his :bday:How humbly extra grateful to God for this moment, this day we are, such a gift. His precious Presence with and upon us both always. I thank Him every day also for all of you, my Quacker family in His name. I will post more later and do my best to share some pictures, too. Cherish this day, let those you care for and love know you do and let someone who cares for and loves you, tell you they do! Each of you make a difference to me . Have a wonderful Saturday, friends.

@dazedx3 How scary. I wonder if it could be someone who mistook your house for someone else's house? You certainly do not need this for sure.

@Pea-n-Me So sorry for the furnace issue. I hope they come today and fix it. I hope Toto feels better soon. Kenny is very smart. He always finds his own way to do things and is very successful at it. Chris and I fostered that.

My excitement today was not being able to exit the garage for my hair appt. The "out" door refused to lift up. There were issues with it back at the last really cold snap around the holidays. They said it was fixed. Uh, nope! So I called maintenance but by then it was too late to get to my appt so I had to reschedule. They have still not been here almost 3 hours later. On the "in" side of the garage there is a high voltage box with buttons underneath. One says "open". I wanted to wait until they came to fix it but I guess that would be a long wait. So, I took my car and placed it right near the "in" door, pressed the open button and voila, up went the "in" door. No one was waiting to get in so I scooted out in my car. My car is now outside as I have to go to Kenny's later. I can remote start it to warm up. Maintenance in this place is an issue. One building has plywood over the garage "out" door and it has been like that for weeks. I am guessing that the shortcuts that the builder took building these buildings are coming home to roost. So leaving the garage was not a waste I went to target and bought a few more bins, an outfit for Sam to put in his Valentine's Day bag, and a small assortment of chocolates for me as a treat. Chris and I always got each other a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day. I wasn't going to this year as I am so sad but I got Ghiradelli which I have never bought before so it is different from Russell Stover.

It is now 5 degrees out. Stay warm!

I love that you let your son do math his way. He is obviously very intelligent but it takes confidence as a parent to foster his doing his own thing.
I agree.

In 3rd grade she failed a test but to me all the answers were correct so I questioned the teacher about it. Evidently the way they taught math 2 X 3 = 6 was not the same as 3 X 2 = 6. I was as confused as my daughter.
I hate it when kids' mathematical observations are discouraged! The teacher should have taken the time to really praise your DD for knowing that 2x3 and 3x2 both equal 6 (and tell her how handy noticing things like that will come in later in higher math classes!) and explain to both your and her satisfaction what the problem likely was asking. -

If you're still curious (and I don't blame you if you aren't!)...they were probably studying arrays, so the questions were about 2 rows/groups of 3 vs. 3 rows/groups of 2, or something like that.

The best way I've found to explain it to kids is either seating in a long skinny theater (where there might be plenty of room for 20 rows of 10 chairs, but if you tried to seat everyone closer by making 10 rows of 20 chairs you'd be far too squished)

or packing snacks (if 3 people are making 2 stops on a long car trip, you want to package your 6 sandwiches in 2 bags of 3 rather than 3 bags of 2, so only have to take one bag out of the cooler each time).

Either way, it's a tiny sliver of the curriculum that I think does more harm than good!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter