• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Service was nice. Way more people than they expected, room was filled to overflowing..they had to bring in a lot of extra chairs. I never knew my BIL knew that many people..lol. The 2 streets to either side of the funeral home are closed due to road construction, so it made it challenging to find a way in. Since I had lived there, I knew the backstreets to take to get into the parking lot. The owner is having this huge glass walled thing built on top of the funeral home. I was told 4000 square feet, with a hot tub and all kinds of other things. Thankfully they were told to not make noise during the actual service. I was NOT happy with the plant garden we sent. SIL didn't want all of the plants or flowers except 2 large peace plants and the wreath our other SIL and BIL had sent. I brought mine home, took a picture, then called the florist. I told them I was not happy. The peace plant that was in it was already brown and curling. Some of the daisies they put in it were already dying. It was supposed to be larger, and in a basket type planter. Instead they put it in this heavy ceramic thing that looked nothing like what I had ordered. It was also bone dry, like noone had added any water to the floral styrafoam thing they put in it. I ordered it on Thursday, it was supposed to be delivered Sat or Sun, but it wasn't. Lady told me there was no excuse for it, but that she wasn't the one who put it together. She thinks that since they didn't get any plants in over the weekend, whoever did it (and she was going to find out who )- just used whatever they had left in the shop..And they didn't even deliver it to the funeral home until 9 this morning. I offered to send her a picture of it, but she said no, not necessary and she credited me back the almost $100 we paid for it.
Skipped the luncheon at the church, Mr L was home alone, and stepdaughter had to get to a physical therapy appt. And she's had more bad luck. Her 17 year old was driving her Bronco last week, and hit a deer. He parked the car around the back of their house and she never saw it for 2 days. He never told her. She said it's not totalled, but she had been planning on selling it since she got her Lincoln fixed, and now she won't get much for it. In the meantime, which I found out this morning,,she bought yet another car..a huge Chevy Suburban. So now she has 2 huge cars sitting there in the yard, registered and insured. No wonder they never have money to do anything. She told me today their water bill is always more than $200 a month? Who on earth has a water bill that high? And the older son quit his job at Ollies and is going to work for a company that works on electric lines. The younger one gave his 2 week notice at Walmart and is going to work on the railroad with his Dad. She gives that about 2 weeks. He is on the spectrum, and is very attached to his Mother. Gets separation anxiety anytime he's away from her for any length of time. And the railroad job is in GA, and they are gone 2-3 weeks at a time, and sometimes work nights and sometimes work days,,and that grandson does not do well with changes to his schedule..so this should be interesting..lol

Also found out what the sirens were for at about 1 am on Saturday night. 2 girls (both had been drinking), both early 20's, somehow managed to run off the road, and put the car 50% through a one level apartment just over 2 streets from here. The driver died, and they don't expect the other girl to make it..she has a broken spine. Very sad, but drinking and driving never amounts to any good. It also injured 2 people who lived in the apartment. :(

@frog3101 You are most welcome, and I thank you for the PM. Sent you another one back in return

Cloudy on and off--Off to sit and unwind a bit..I managed to keep it together through almost all of it, until they played Amazing Grace at the end of it. Almost everyone was in tears by then.

Have a nice afternoon..sun just popped back out!

@lynxstch I hate when you order flowers/plants and they come out badly. I'd rather be refunded than get bad foliage.

DH made us boozy milkshakes last night, with Tillamook chocolate peanut butter and vanilla ice cream, and some Mr Black's liquour. :drinking1

Another hot day, but not as hot as it was yesterday. I swept and mopped everywhere except the bathrooms, our bedroom and DH's office. I'll do those tomorrow. I also washed all of DS's bedding, so it's clean and ready for him when he gets home this week. I put up all the laundry I washed over the weekend. Tomorrow, I'm doing our bedding, and I may have to mow at the end of the week.

Whatever they did to update the boards has messed up some code...I am typing this line and have to backspace to fix an error, and it moved this whole paragraph up to the line under the last line of the last paragraph. Annoying, it is. :badpc:

I'm off to go...IDK, do something. Have a good day, y'all.

:grouphug:dear Lynn and continued prayers my friend always!

B&B, I'm not a fan at the moment of the changes to the board either. There are way too many ads, the page seems to have shrunk, and I'm tired of the "pushback" notification at the bottom! Oh well. Grateful, as always, to be able to check in here :)

Dad got some needed things while out this morning. Very thankful he's safely home first and foremost always and that we don't use much gas. Dad filled up before heading out and learned gas is now $5.99! Hopefully this fill -up will last him a couple weeks or so. I just got a good deal on Walmart.com. Dad had a $10 courtesy credit from an order gone wrong (wrong product sent twice). We were able to use that for the flosser refills I use which are becoming increasingly hard to find and expensive. Walmart hasn't had it available for delivery in some time. Thanks to God, they did today, and I ordered it at the "old" $3.97 price which is cheap compared to other places. Plus, dad got a needed 2 pack of shave gel which Target didn't have. Good order.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

So much news to catch up on! I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

I'm a child of the 50's as well - not BORN in the 50's - current AGE is in the 50s!

In case there wasn't enough to stress out on with mortgage rates going up up up, cost of living rising, another one of my team coming down with COVID, etc - they seem to have stuck my son's passport application in limbo land and after 14 weeks "in process", their only suggestion is to go reapply AGAIN, in person. So - pay $160 AGAIN, get photos AGAIN, get the guarantor to sign AGAIN, and this time, pay an additional $100 for an express in-person application, to which I have the privilege of lining up tonight at midnight and hoping that will be early enough to be one of the lucky 50 people who make it in the door for processing. And as soon as I know if we make it in, I have to send an Uber to my son's school to pull him out of exam week and come down in person, because at 16, Passport Canada considers him an adult.

So I may be making random posts after midnight Pacific Standard Time :crazy:

@FlyingDumbo..our gas was $4.89 when we left this morning and $4.85 when we came home. Stepdaughter just got a big Chevy Suburban..and it has a 30 gallon gas tank..I can't even imagine having to spend almost $150 to get a full tank!~

I am only having an issue with the boards and 1 pop up at the bottom every now and then. I didn't do anything with the push notification thing, but it's gone off the bottom of my page.

@Canadisney Fly That is awful about the passport,,there's no excuse for that ! Hope you get in the door to get processing done

Instead of going home after the funeral and luncheon,,SIL and niece ran around town all day..and just now locked their keys in their van. They have no spare key, and no spare key to the house, so she had to call a tow truck and is waiting for it. I suggested she get spares made, each keep one in their wallet, and give me, her other local SIL, his brother, and my stepdaughter (who lives 5 min from them) spares, just in case this happened. I was going to mention it to her yesterday, but she was talking so much, I totally forgot :(

Thanks, Lynn. I still am seeing the enable push notifications and am also ignoring it. Great and very caring suggestion for your niece! Yikes! I can't even imagine having a bigger car either :scared1:

:grouphug:Canadisney Fly! I'm sure sorry you need to go through all of that!

I had a nice conversation with my friend Glenda who works at my former/current church's office which can be on the way to the dentist. Dad will be driving me so he can run into the Dollar Tree quickly while I'm having my cleaning done. I am excited that on the way to the dentist, dad and I will first stop by the church where for the first time in over 2 years I'll get to say hi to Glenda in person! Dad will give her a few things I have for her as well. What a blessing that will be.

For the next 3 days Oriental Trading is once again offering free shipping on any order no minimum. The code is: CE224608

Have a good evening, friends.

Good evening Quacker Family.

@lynxstch I'm glad to hear the service went well overall and that your sister-in-law and family were able to be supported by so many. What a bummer about the flowers. I have learned to ask for a photo before the arrangement is to be sent out if I am not able to see it in person. If a place won't do that, I move on to one that will.

@Canadisney Fly What a mess, I hope you were one of the lucky 50 and things work out with the passport.

@Bianca and Bernard I'm not much of a drinker, but a boozy milkshake might just hit the spot right now.

@Pea-n-Me Thank you for the kind words.

@PollyannaMom I still love that you walk your cats. Now that we have moved, I may look into a harness for the cat who wants to be outside all the time. Or I've see outside cat "playpens" that I may check into.

@Kirby Here's hoping your daughter was able to get ahold of her attorney today. One of the things I hate right now for sure is there are no "rules" either of us have to follow, so it's a free for all so to speak. I know your daughters former husband or former boyfriend (sorry not sure which) is breaking the legal agreement and that stinks, but at least it should look bad for him and hopefully go against him in the future. I'm stuck in limbo at the moment with no guidelines or consequences for anyone. Very frustrating and I don't see how a court can think that this is healthy for kids or the adults for that matter.

I am have had a really rough few days. Usually I can pull myself out of a funk, but for some reason this is different. I will be calling my Dr. tomorrow to see what she suggests. I'm not embarrassed to admit I'm on antidepressants, but they don't seem to be doing their job. I had been fighting anxiety and depression before this separation/divorce proceedings happened, so adding that to the mix certainly isn't helping matters. I'm am blessed to have a wonderful family, network of friends both in real life and here on the boards, a great therapist, and a good general physician. I don't know how anyone can make it through something like this without a great support system. I also know that God has a plan, but I've said it before, recently I've been having some pretty heated "discussions" with him.

Tomorrow I hope to go get my phone upgraded as well as my daughters. Then, I am planning on adding two more lines. Now that I don't have the kids all the time and no landline in the new house (had one at the other place due to internet and also wanting the kids to always be able to call someone if needed and if it was 911 for them to be able to track the call exactly to the location) I want all of them to have access to a phone. We will see what deals are happening.

Extra hugs to all who need them. I've said it before but I'll say it again, there are an awful lot of Quackers who are in the middle of some really icky stuff.

Good morning!:sunny:

Super hot outside this week. I'm working from home for the next 2 weeks so I'll be sitting outside getting some sun. Won't be staying out too long though, I don't have a pool to jump in to cool off.

Yesterday was a holiday at work so I was off. Went to the dentist and then drove down to a friend's house and sat outside and went swimming in her backyard. I was planning to leave at 5:00 so that I could make my Pilates class but I didn't end up leaving until 7:00. Too busy talking.:hyper2:

Worked over the weekend so I didn't do anything fun. Sunday I was able to get out and get the grass cut and go to Ds1's soccer game. Ds3 finally bought a car on Sunday so I'm going to run down to the DMV and get the plates for him this morning.:car:

That's about a wrap for me. Have a great day!:wave:

Good morning, everyone! Nice day so far here - sunny but not hot. I'm sitting out with one of the "furry princesses" right now, then I'm supposed to go for a walk with my neighbor at 8:00, and I have a dentist appointment at 1:00. (Seems like a few of us are on the same schedule. - Hope they all go well!)

Good morning all. HAPPY SUMMER! It's cloudy and looks like it's going to dump down rain, Weather Channel shows none, but local weatherman said we could get strong storms, so which one do we listen to? lol!0c76994d9f2e661755ec84a2f8abcaa0.jpg

Sister in law learned her lesson about the keys. She is going to have spares made today after she gets things worked out with SS and Medicare. She has to immediately add Part B, which she didn't need while BIL was alive, as she was on his insurance from work. It cost her $65 to have the tow truck unlock her van so she could get the keys.

I just watered the garden (don't trust the weather), and noticed a lot of squash and cuke flowers. They are all coming along nicely. It's supposed to be 91 today, hotter tomorrow with storms, so I plan on waiting till Thursday or Friday to mow. At least now that it's officially summer, the grass starts to slow down in its growing and only needs to be done once instead of twice a week

Have a nice morning all. Hugs to all of my DIS family

Good morning everyone.

I am hibernating as much as possible for the next few weeks. We need Covid tests for the cruise so I am limiting my exposure to people as much as I can. I tried a Zyrtec yesterday but was so tired all day that I am going to limit to bedtime. The eyedrops have helped a little. Still red and itchy but not as bad. Even my ears feel a little better today so that's a positive.

I am waiting on a call from Social Security. They claim they overpaid me. I wanted to appeal as there is no explanation just I owe X amount of dollars. They sent me forms for a waiver, I would never qualify based on my husband's pension. Called them a second time and said I wanted to appeal, they were supposed to send paperwork that I never received so now they are just deducting the monies. I finally went in person and set up a phone conference. I have no problem paying the money back IF I was overpaid. The only problem I have is that no matter how I go over the numbers I cannot get what they claim.

This afternoon I have my first appointment with my husband's cardiologist. I knew my BP was slowly creeping up and my PCP was keeping check on it when I saw him. He died almost a year ago and I haven't really found a new one. I asked the cardiologist when we were in last month and it was high so he had me keep track of it. I will probably be going on meds by the end of the day. I'm not to concerned about that, I am more concerned about him ordering a stress test. That scares me. I am a sissy when it comes to needles and I am really nervous about radioactive anything being put in my body like they did for my husband. I always joke that my life is nothing but stress and if he ever heard what a typical week was for me he might agree. I may be worried for nothing since I don't have any issues with my heart that I know of but we didn't know about my husband's issues and he had 2 strokes.

Of course my granddaughter just called looking for a ride to the Mall to meet some friends. Thankfully she will take the bus if she needs to do that. I do need to go to one store in there for a couple things for the trip so it could work out. My cat likes to eat my charging cords and he has almost chewed through the cord for my IPad. He also ate the cord for my headphones. Thankfully the $5 Below store, not that price anymore though but still cheap, carries what I need. I would rather pay minimal prices for these things than full price since I need to replace them every couple of months. Adso better be glad I love him because he can be destructive at times.

It's low 70's right now and I can live with this weather. The humidity isn't to bad either. Supposed to get some rain later in the day but it should hold off til I am home. Hope everyone has a good day.

Frog, DD did contact her attorney and his comment was he would contact her ex-DH's attorney about it. He is so passive, she's interviewing another attorney this morning that was referred by her therapist. Three days of asking to facetime Lil Joe and Lou Lou have gone by and his answer is always they are unavailable. She's very concerned about Lou Lou since she has never been away from DD more than a couple of days. Today makes a week.
I'm so glad that you have a good support system. DD has been divorced for four years now, it's hard to believe that this jerk is still acting the way he does. Many dads would kill for this guys visitation schedule and it's not good enough for him. His goal is to take the kids away from her or at least make them dislike her. We know because he has stated this in text messages to her.
In a month or so, once you are settled in a routine, you might look for a divorce recovery group in your area. DD went to one and while she was way past everyone since she had been divorced for awhile, it still helped her. The one she went to was on Tuesday nights for 10 weeks I believe and it goes through all the stages you will feel plus more.
God does have a plan for you, it is tough to get through sometimes but keep the faith. DD can look back to when she left her ex and see that while times were tough and confusing, He was there carrying her through.

Today is supposed to be a balmy 97 degrees. We're under an air quality alert. Fortunately the rain over the weekend got rid of the Saharan Dust that had blown in last week.

Happy first day of Summer everyone! Mickey has the right idea, Lynn ::MickeyMo Prayers that each of dear you find some joy and sunshine this Tuesday!. One of today's Scripture in my daily devotional is from Ecclesiastes: To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven.
A favorite of mine from Jeremiah 29:13. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. He is forever with each of you. I was remembering yesterday that when all may seem lost, remember Easter. LOVE wins always. Like the Beautiful Things song I posted last week? All things, all of us are made new and renewed no matter what trial by His loving grace.

:grouphug:extra to all 🐥with my love.

Happy Tuesday all. My allergies are kicking my bootie right now, it's actually been so bad for everyone in the house, we all took a Covid test yesterday. Thankfully all negative, so just bad allergies. Looking back at my daily Facebook memories, there are a couple posts from a few different years about bad allergies so must be that time of year.

Cleaning today as my niece is coming to stay with us for a few days later this week. Then end of next week, we have a couple other family members coming to stay for a few days to celebrate the 4th with us. Our best friends are having a pool party on the 2nd so everyone will be joining us for that.

Summer is definitely here...lol It's been really hot and the ants are out of control. They've been coming into the entryway at night so I had to go buy some bug spray last night. DH said he's going to call an exterminator. I'm allergic, like epi-pen allergic, to red ants and although not all our ants are the red ones, we don't want to take a chance.

Hope you all have a good evening.

Well at least the boards are back up. Everytime I tried earlier, it said they were down to move to a new server..I thought that was done yesterday. I now have the stupid push nofications at the bottom again, and now the big ad is at the top instead of the bottom. Maybe they are still working on things

Its hot and sunny and 93. Hotter tomorrow with storms. I went out this morning and weeded a few things, picked up some branches, got the ladder out and cleaned the gutters,,they weren't too bad and I want to keep it that way. When our handyman has the time to get together with the gutter guy, they will be putting up new ones. I am hoping to put some kind of leaf filter on it..the maple tree on the other side, and the black walnut tree on this side dump too much stuff into them. A neighbor had them and got rid of the, he didn't like them. Anyone in our Quacker family have some kind of 'leaf guard' installed, and does it work, and do you like it? I am not fond of having to clean them every other week starting at the end of August till Nov when the trees are finally empty

Dinner is homemade garlic naan pizza's. we have sauce, pepperoni, I just cooked up some sweet Italian sausage and mozzarella. Mr L will put onions and mushrooms too, I will just pick some fresh basil from the herb garden and chiiffonade it up and put that on top of mine. Debating on a salad,,or just watermelon to go with it.

Talked to SIL a couple of times this afternoon. She has an appt with the insurance co. we went through to get our Part D and part B supplemental through . I gave her the links to get on Medicare and add Part B, and gave her the link to SS so she can see what she needs to get spousal benefits. She needs to get rolling on these things.

Have a nice evening

I hope each of you got some happy mail this first day of summer. I did. I would be happy to send any of dear you some summery cheer via the pony express just let me know.

I hope you are having a good Tuesday, Snowysmom.

Keep cool, AuntieMe3 and enjoy the pool party to come, how fun 🏊‍♀️ Oh and YUCK to the ants. Please stay safe and away from them.!

Enjoy your pizza, Lynn 🍕 I am also so tired of the push notifications!

Thinking of you Carol and Dazed. Prayers you both are enjoying some vacation fun right now!

Almost down to the bottom!

Took a friend to lunch for her birthday. We went to a new to us fish place, Fish Shack. Very good fried catfish! Want to bring the hubbies sometime.

DD finally got to facetime the kids for about five minutes. Both were tickled pink to see her. Still no word on her visitation weekends.

Good morning...yeah @Kirby that your daughter got at least a few min of facetime with the kids. Hope it helped ease her mind just a little bit. There is no reason she shouldn't be able to do that everyday!

Going to be another hot one, near 90, with chance of strong storms later this afternoon. If they are wrong, I plan on mowing, if right, will do it tomorrow

SIL finally got through to SS on the phone, but the appt they gave her, the closest one they said, is July 22? They really must still be all backed up. She has an appt with a local insurance agent today to get Medicare Supplemental and Part D straightened out. SS recommended she wait till she had her phone appt with them to take care of Part B. I say she should do it NOW, or she will end up with COBRA from July 1'st till then?

Off to the market while it's still cool and not crowded

Have a nice morning all

R (3).jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter