Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Rounding out the MA contingent, good morning! 🥶

The grocery store yesterday was nuts, almost all registers open with four to six people in each line. Haven’t seen it that crowded in a while. People only had a small amount in their carts, though. Biggest worry is losing power.

Good Morning!

Have a good day @Snowysmom !

I'm up early but the girls are still sleeping. Got dressed and went to the 24 hour coffee station to get some warm coffee.

Last evening we checked in about 5:30pm and then drove a short distance and picked up some chik fil a. Chicken soup, grilled chicken sandwich and nugget meals with chocolate milk.

I was asked what floor I wanted and simplified my life by asking for ground floor. That means very close to the breakfast which starts at 6:30am. Oldest DGD heard me when I came back with my coffee. She wanted to know where her breakfast was. Well, 15 more minutes!

Snow for my area is not until 2-3pm now which gives time to easily get home. Yesterday was an easy ride. Since snow is a bit later, I'll dally a bit so Richmond rush hour dies down a little. I actually almost canceled my room and kept driving, but didn't want to get so tired I wasn't safe.

My shoulder is still hurting and will have to be seen when I get back. Probably tore something. Ugh. Fortunately it is okay when I'm not laying on that side or trying to lift or twist it. I've previously had arthroscopic surgery for impingement on my right shoulder many years ago so I know if it's messed up it won't let me rest until it's fixed.

Anyway, off to grab something for granddaughter.

On the way down, we stayed in Fairfield Inn and Suites, Dunn, North Carolina, a Marriott property. Room was clean, breakfast was grab and go, meaning everything wrapped as much as is reasonable. They had good quality items. Jimmy Dean croissant sandwiches - large ones; individual spinach and cheese quiche - these were tasty; small waffles - the same ones I bought at Costco for maybe $8.99 a package of about a dozen. Then the large cups of individual cereals, plus large muffins - chocolate, banana nut, blueberry, all wrapped and fresh. Yoghurts, chocolate and regular milk, and strangely - hot oatmeal with the fixings to scoop into a bowl. The hotel location left something to be desired as getting dinner proved challenging - long drivethrough wait, staffing issues and supply issues.

Holiday Inn Express was more the usual, serve yourself from a buffet, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy. They also had small yoghurts, bigger cereal cups and hot oatmeal in the cups. Plus the breads, cinnamon rolls and blueberry muffins, and some decent looking fruit.

I have to tip towards the Fairfield breakfast a bit, but the HI Exp wasn't bad by no means.

Both rooms were 'free' as I had free night certificates from having the credit cards. I have the old IHG card with a $49 annual fee, so Holiday Inn essentially cost me $49. That was offset by a few Chase offers, like $8 off $40 at CVS or Walgreens - I bought a Disney gift card.

The Marriott one is a more expensive fee, but that card gives offers that bring the cost down. I'm a spreadsheet type person and keep track. So, the rooms did cost but were very low cost to me - mostly my time in keeping track. Lots of time for this since I retired. If the card doesn't come out free and then some, I would cancel, except the IHG which always works out because of such a low fee. (They don't offer the card I have anymore, newer one is $89). Still less than the cost of this room, at about $140 with tax.

Loacation - Roanoke Rapids - lots of evening food options very close.

On the other side, my DVC costs plenty but I bought 22 years ago, and could sell for more than double after selling costs. No intention to sell, but my eyes are always on that also. I offset the dues with credit card offers, so it's all intertwined, but nothing is ever truly free. In any case, my hobby and my vacations are important to me and keeping track helps make them happen, and keeps my mind a bit sharper, I think.

Happy Friday everyone! :wave2:

Holy moley, the snow is coming for some of you! Hope you have everything you need to get through this. I would have hated to make a grocery run yesterday. Stay safe and warm :cold:! We got about an inch during the night, guess I'll go out and shovel it later this morning.

Ds2 had to bring his dog over last night for a sleepover. Their heat went out in the apartment and couldn't get it fixed until today. They kept giving them times early in the day and him and his girlfriend both work and they needed to get the dog out of the apartment. They finally gave up on getting a later appointment and asked if she could come over. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this but she doesn't like one of my dogs so they have to be separated. So I have her either shut in the spare room or my room for the day. When she has to go outside I have to play musical dogs, switching them back and forth in the garage :dog:.

Ds3 brakes went out on his car the other day so yesterday after work I had to run him down to Ds1's work to pick up his truck that he is borrowing for the weekend. :car: I noticed that my brakes need to also be replaced so Ds1 said he would do both cars this Sunday. That will save me some money.

I watched Joanne Gaines cooking show again last night. I taped it from the other night. I think it's called Magnolia Table. I really like it. She makes simple recipes that even I could do and she's not perfect at all which I think is funny :stir:. The one show she overpoured something in a pan, last night she dropped things, I like that they don't edit that stuff out, makes her look more normal.

Working from home today so I'll be able to get laundry done and clean up the house during my slow times :laundy:. I work again this weekend so when I'm home, I'll be sleeping. At least I'm doing my normal 12 hour shifts instead of those crazy 16 hour shifts like last weekend. I won't be doing that anymore!

That's it for me so I'll wish everyone a good day today. :-)

Rounding out the MA contingent, good morning! 🥶

The grocery store yesterday was nuts, almost all registers open with four to six people in each line. Haven’t seen it that crowded in a while. People only had a small amount in their carts, though. Biggest worry is losing power.

Oiy. I have to go to the grocery store this morning, and I'm dreading it. We're in FL, and are gonna have cold weather for two days, but people are prepping like it's a hurricane! So my morning plan is to hit USPS to pick up a package; Home Depot for more boxes, tape, and some cleaning supplies; and, then run up to WinnDixie for milk, bread, lunch meat, chips, and fresh veggies. (which is my normal plan on the weekend, to get stuff like that for the week) I thought about hitting Starbucks between stops; will decide when I'm out and about.

DH is WFH today, partly so I can have the car and go running around, and partly because there are 8 people out in his little pod area, with the C word. :oops: All but three aren't vaxxed >:(; for two of the three vaxxed, it is their 2nd bout with C (once before vax, and then now) and the other is his first time with it, and he's being hit hard (older guy); he told DH before he left work yesterday that if this is what it feels like being vaxxed, he dreads to think what it would be like not.... DH told his boss he may end up working from home next week; which might be a good idea.

The plan is to have the movers here next Friday, and have them move all the furniture and boxes, washer, dryer and freezer; and for us to get a Uhaul van on Saturday to move the bulky stuff like wire shelves, our desk chairs, DS's bike; the stuff in the storage shed, and whatever boxes they can't fit. I was planning on moving the clothes, food/alcohol during the week, and on Friday all our electronics, and the cats. They'll only have time for one load (only budgeted for 7 hours max, and that has to include their half hour travel time from here to the new place); wrapping the furniture, breaking down and putting our king bed back together, and moving everything down a flight of stairs is going to take the longest; at the new place, they can just put all the boxes in the garage, and put the furniture/w/d in the rooms and we can set up everything (but the bed) from there. Hopefully we can get the movers to move the old couch, dining table, old corner table, and dresser to the trash area before they load up the truck, if no one picks them up for free from Craigslist. They all still work, but have some cosmetic damage, so I put them up for free.

DS is going to Cali, to stay with DD#2 for a few months. He leaves the 10th or 11th. He's having a really rough time with his identity right now, and thinks that maybe some time away from home will help him figure things out. I'm sad, but I really hope this helps; plus he's an adult and has to start making decisions for himself, instead of relying on me to do everything for him. He won't have his computer (DD has a small one, that can't handle gaming) so this is going to give him time away from his constant gaming. He'll still have his Switch, so he won't be totally off, but it will be much less. They said he can stay as long as he is progressing, and if he's going to stay for longer, we will rent a Uhaul or a van and drive his stuff to him this summer; or he can come home, but either way he has to either get a job or start taking college classes (or both).

-------------------------------------------------

Last night was Sesame/soy chicken and cauliflower fried rice. Wasn't too bad, and have leftover chicken to put on a salad for lunch.

Meal plans:
Tonight, we're having frozen PF Chang meals (deep freeze cleanout, prep for moving!!!!)
Tomorrow, I think I'm making a Pasta Fagioli style soup, and some homemade bread
Sunday: Black pepper pork chops, veggies
Mon: Fried fish and shrimp, sweet potato/regular fries, veg
---pull out the meat for the next two days, move whatever veg/ice cream/etc from the big freezer to little one.
Tues: Swiss Steak Burgers, Sweet potato/regular fries, veg
---unplug and clean out freezer on Tuesday
Wed: pork tenderloin, veg
Thurs: Roasted chickpeas recipe of some sort that I haven't decided on yet!
Fri: moving day....Pizza delivery
-----------------------------------

Heads up for my fellow Penzey's deal shoppers. $35 for two $25 gift cards today ($50 total)! The first two are that price, and additional cards are $17.50 for the $25 cards up to a max of 25.

Y'all stay safe and warm, and let us know you're ok this weekend!

Good morning all. Yikes to the predicted snow for all of our MA contingent. Stay safe! They say we 'might' get an inch or 2, but most of it is going to be North of us. Works for me! I do not want to have to shovel again!

Stepdaughter is finally over her covid. Has her first appt with a family Dr in 15 years, because she needs a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. She has pain in her right shoulder that has become unbearable to the point that she can't sleep, and has issues with pain in her left hand. They tell her it will take about a week to get in with the surgeon for an appt after he gets the referral. She will be lucky if it's only a week,,Drs here are so backlogged you can't get appts for at least a month or more. They will do her shoulder first and her hand after that heals

No big plans for the day. Mr L said he feels like he has a cold, so he is under my orders to rest and take care of it.

Have a nice morning all..MA people..let us know how you make out!

R.jpg

Good morning.

Our local health department was giving away masks so we went by and got a pack of 5 KN95 masks.

Then went to the Food Lion for lettuce and bananas. I was concerned about going because of the impending snow and it was flurrying, Got the produce and picked up bread because they are often out of the brand I like and they had it, The thing I wanted but was not to be had was the 32 ounce Greek non-fat plain yogurt. Not in any brand. They had non-fat vanilla and whole milk plain but not what I wanted. And luckily I wasn't shopping for frozen potatoes because there wasn't a French fry or tater tot to be had.

We were going to take another road trip but think that will wait because of the snow.

Amazing Race fans, I am really enjoying the recap videos that Kim and Penn do each week.

Yikes to all of you in the snow! ☃ PLEASE stay safe and take care, my friends. I am keeping each of you in extra warm and safe prayer indeed!

Poor Dad is having a touch morning at the laundromat :( The regular and very kind attendant seems to have vanished. Plus, he chose a machine that didn't rinse out the soap. Since she wasn't there to give him a free re-wash, he has to pay more money :( Praying the rest of the morning goes smoother for him and that he comes home not too delayed! To those of you with your own washer and dryers, I'm truly glad you have them.

Thinking extra of you, Snowysmom! Lynn, prayers Mr. L takes it easy today and feels better.

🌈Brighter days to all! I'll check back later.

My house is in the 24+ range for snow (maybe closer to the 12-24 inch line so I am hoping for that) so I am a bit anxious about that. Younger DS nailed the shed door shut so It shouldn't open in the strong winds. I am concerned about power outage. I upped the heat a bit so hopefully pipes won't freeze even if the house loses power. I can't do anything about it whether I am at the house or at DS's house so I need to stop worrying. At least older DS has a generator. Junk King came and took all the stuff we had set aside for them. Now we just need to get more stuff off the floors as the carpet cleaner is coming Feb 18. I am taking off that day to be at the house. The house looks empty comparatively. It is sad to be in it as it feels like a big part of my life is gone. I cried today as they took away the stuff as it is heartbreaking for me. Younger DS was with me and I know he was feeling it too. He is missing Dad alot while older DS seems to still be using work and family to deal with his grief. Everyone has their own way of dealing. Younger DS did this elaborate analysis of finances and I don't even understand half of what he did but I was so impressed. He is a financial analyst. He did alot of work for this and I am so thankful. I feel better about that aspect of my life. Plus I told him I can always go live with him and his family! LOL!

Time for my walk. It is around 35 here so a heat wave! I won't be able to walk outside for the next couple of days. I am hoping to be able to get to the house sometime on Sunday once the driveway and walkway are plowed and the roads are clear. I am craving pizza and may just pick one up tonight. Maybe older DS will be interested in sharing with me.

Everyone in the path of the storm stay safe and warm. Let's hope for the best!

Forgot to say...
@Judique, thanks for posting where you stayed on you travels. We are also interested in where @easyas123 will stay between here and Florida. We usually stop in Santee but wonder where others stop.

I like the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Florence, SC as well. I try to read the reviews and watch for new properties. Also, I'm usually using points or free night certificates. The HI Express from last night was under renovation, but I did get a renovated room.

I've stayed in lots of places along I 95 and my biggest takeaway is nothing stays great forever.

Oh and yikes! I came through Springfield interchange area around 11 and was home before 12. But, back from Lorton south, southbound traffic was at almost a standstill at least to Dale City/Potomac Mills. That's where I noticed it. I was mostly intent on staying alive in the right lane so not paying much attention to southbound traffic.

Also not sure what route @easyas123 takes. Some do 301 to 207 to Doswell area, but I'm usually on 95.

Last edited:
We're in FL, and are gonna have cold weather for two days,
Yes- I’d like to lodge a formal complaint about the weather situation in Florida…arrived earlier today. It’s chilly- I’m missing snow for chilly 🥶!!! If I don’t at least see one falling Iguana I’ll be upset🤪🤪
No big plans for the day. Mr L said he feels like he has a cold, so he is under my orders to rest and take care of it.
Hope he’s feeling better!

Forgot to say...
@Judique, thanks for posting where you stayed on you travels. We are also interested in where @easyas123 will stay between here and Florida. We usually stop in Santee but wonder where others stop.
We usually aim for Florence, SC as well…. But this time we made it down just west of Jacksonville and stopped at the first place that was tolerable…we left early this AM and stopped at about 5. We didn’t have a destination in mind when we started out to be honest- only about 4 hours of driving tomorrow so no rush or need to get up at the crack of to early.

Happy Friday all....I hope all you in the storms path stay safe and warm. I've been freezing all day today with our "frigid" temp of 55° :rolleyes1 :laughing:

Been busy trying to take care of everything that got put off while I wasn't feeling well last week. I helped my friends so some flower arrangements for a funeral. They came out very nice and I enjoy helping even for a sad occasion. Now I'm getting ready to bake some cookies for a baby shower tomorrow. The shower is Valentine's theme and baby is a girl so I got some Valentine's nails when I went to my appointment yesterday.
Don't mind my dry skin and the cut on my finger...lol

It's an indoor/outdoor shower so I hope it warms up some...I don't want to be cramped in the house with everyone.

We usually stop in Santee but wonder where others stop.
This reminded me of a funny from my mom. So my sister used to live in Santee, CA, which is near San Diego, so very expensive. A couple years ago they were looking to buy a house but everything was way more than they were looking to pay so they decided to just keep renting for awhile. My mom had brain damage from her aneurysm so she got things mixed up alot, but she would send us all listings for houses in Santee, GA and she would be like "WOW...look at this house, it's in your budget." We would all just laugh and have to tell her that's Georgia, mom...not here. :laughing: So funny.

AuntieMe3, I've been freezing all day, too, I hear you my closest Quacker neighbor! :) to your nails!

Easyas, please stay safe and warm! I'm sorry your vacation so far is cold :( I do pray you get to have some fun!

I am so graciously humbled by so many God has called to deliver extra birthday cheer to me for my dad. I do have to admit the job is a bit daunting. So much stuff including kind extras puzzle books and cards including from some of dear, dear, you🐥❤. I will be glad when this is completed. Dad's birthday morning will indeed be memorable❤

Sleep cozy and well friends.

I am slowly starting to build back up my immune system as I had a sinus infection and then caught a cold that DH brought home from work which turned into broncitus. Even without covid in the world I know that I am at risk of a secondary infection that develops into pneumonia. The last time I had to deal with broncitus that turned into pneumonia was back in 2010 so not a bad run. This needless to say has knocked me on my rear end so I have spent a lot of time sleeping though I have read the posts.
Today I finally had the energy to sit down and get some bills paid so I will have heat and lights for the next month along with trash paid up till the next bill is due in April. We get the trash bill quarterly but can pay each of the 3 months individually which I had DH due for January as it did not show up in the mail until the 7th after I would have been able to do a payment via my banks bill pay to have it paid in time for the deadline of the 10th and I was not going to pay the late fee I don't give a rats hind end if it is less than $2. By that time I was starting to loose my voice so I had him call it in via a phone call and use his debit card over the phone. I decided today since I had the time and the energy to sit down and get the few paid plus do a balance of where the finances are after not only taking those out but the automatic payments for my student loan and the private term life insurance that we have-in addition to that which is provided for DH as part of his work benefit package plus we have a rider on that would basically hire Mary Poppins if something were to happen to me and a burial rider on both 17 and 14 year old. We celebrated 17 year old's birthday earlier this week with food ordered in from Olive Garden along with gifts of a 4 pack of raspberry yougart, a Michael's gift card, and a nice leatherman she has been asking for the past 2 years plus she got cards with cash in them from my parents and my sister. My brother's family does not exchange birthday gifts as have non of DH's siblings for years. Due to MIL having dementi a and FIL having a strong beleive that it is the job of the females in the family to remember things like birthdays nothing was acknowledged. His conversations with me consist of the hi FIL this is my real first name is MIL there when he answers the phone. I have asked DH several times to remind him about these things along with the fact that the girls got nothing for Christmas (I have a feeling that DH's sister did all the shopping of items which means that only her grandkids got anything as they are the only other ones under 18 other than my girls). I am seriously considering once I have more of a voice in order to have a longer than 2-3 minute conversation talking with my mom and seeing if having my dad talk with my FIL about how it is especially hurting 17 year old. Her main love language is gifts but even a card acknowledging her would go a long ways. 14 year old doesn't get as excited over gifts and would rather cuddle beside you and watch a movie or do a puzzle with you or have you play a game with her. I think that my dad talking with FIL since they are from the same generation though my dad is a number of years younger and that they are both men might be my best option other than getting DH motivated though my dad might be able to have a talk with him as well.
We got our half a beef put in the freezer earlier this week as well plus we learned that we will be getting hogs on the rail to process in early March. Luckily we have a nice set up for DH, my dad, and brother to get the meat all processed as many of the smaller shops which take meat from farmers and ranchers have shut down as a lot of the older generation has retired and there was such a push for years to get a college degree instead of learning a trade that there has not been the replacement in the generation that is up and coming. It is so bad here that one community college has started a 2 year certification program in meat processing so that young people can go out and open up shops. The menfolk have done beef in an emergency situation such as an animal breaking a leg and we can't get it in due to the timing but them trying to do the normal 8 to 16 head that are done at once is too much with DH and brother working jobs as well. Plus our set up is that we can only process what our families use though we do have friends that will come over and use the set up when they need it. We can not process any animal that is sold to someone else as we do not have a commerical license and my dad due to his age has no interest in getting all the paperwork and inspections done to set one up. He just knows what he is doing having grown up around farming and ranching all his life plus processing wild game when I was growing up as well as we had livestock during that time. We will start doing the garden plans in the next month so that any items that will have to be done as transplants can be started in the green house early enough plus getting the stuff that we plant from seed in the ground in the late spring. Between everything we have managed to keep our food bill down quite a bit.

I don't know if I have thanked everyone but thank you for the different places for DD to look for a dress.

sweetpeama, take care! Hope that you recover and not have any secondary infections.

Today was my first day off of quarantine!!! It was so nice to get out and run some errands actually inside of a store. Lou Lou and I took some Amazon returns to Kohls. Then I bought some pillows for my couch. We were sadly in need of new ones.

Then we dropped in at Kroger to pick up more groceries. Yesterday I had placed a pickup order and declined substitutions because I usually don't like what the the substitutions. It's a hit or miss on whether they contact me about them to give me a chance to decline. Well, I went in and had no problem finding a couple of things that they said they were out of. Oh well, I had to go in anyway because they don't offer some of the meat I wanted on their pick up list. The pasta aisle was almost bare again and there were no biscuits/cinnamon rolls in the refrigerated area to speak of. A bargain I got with Kroger coupon was 18 count Kroger large eggs for 97 cents. The coupon was good for up to five cartons so I bought three. We eat a lot of eggs.

Speaking of eggs, Lou Lou has decided that she likes fried eggs and wants them every morning now. That little girl can put away two of them plus a half piece of toast.

After my running around and making lunch for Lou Lou and I, I laid down on the couch for awhile. I did not get to sleep until 4 am this morning and woke up at 7:30 am. I shared a large Dr. Pepper with DD last night and the caffeine kept me up. Guess no more sodas in the evening. I should be tired now but that's what naps do for me, they keep me up at night.

I finished a limited series on Netflix called Stay Close. It was good and based on a book by Harlan Corben.

I also finished this book the other day. It was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter